Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

But all this is hypothetical- it is all odds. Nobody knows the future. 

So you'd prefer to throw another year down the rat hole? Woodson is absolutely done after next year, if not sooner. Pearl and May will both be out of reach after another year... so, yeah. let's just stand pat, waste another year, then try to pull a rabbit out of that hat.

Guaranteed that Woodson embarrasses both himself and the program (and that alone is a tall fete) with next year's team/performance.

Don't really have much to add unless we get some news, so I am going with the assumption he is coming back. That said, what do we think about next year in terms of firing? If things go really south would IU fire mid season? That seems crazy based on our history, but if we have a Michigan or Georgetown under Ewing season, it has to be in the ball park right?

Also wanted to get on page 666 DOOOOOOMMMMMM

2 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Don't really have much to add unless we get some news, so I am going with the assumption he is coming back. That said, what do we think about next year in terms of firing? If things go really south would IU fire mid season? That seems crazy based on our history, but if we have a Michigan or Georgetown under Ewing season, it has to be in the ball park right?

Also wanted to get on page 666 DOOOOOOMMMMMM

Don't underestimate IU leadership, calling them a clown show is an insult to clowns. That being said I wouldn't be at all surprised if they want to being him back after anything but a total dumpster fire of a season.

5 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

This is going to be long. 

- he already knows who is out and who he wants out. 
- he already has some very probable immediate portal additions. Don’t have to wait for portal to open to know those. those conversations have been happening
- yes, there will need to be 5/6 guys picked up. If right, starter level guy, like MM, becomes available, he will take one IF price is right.

- if we all believe Chris has good info, he is saying $6 million for portal this year. I have heard even more with more to come following years once proven. 

- the average major conference starter level player makes $250k. Top 10 guy makes $750k to $1 million from direct collective type funds (maybe more or varies for a few if they have large social like a Cupps but those numbers are would not come from the $6 million.)

- schools can now have direct compensation conversations they couldn’t just last year. Schools can also take multi time transfers. This allows for that $6 million to be used more effectively.

- part of the issue with guys like Sanon or D Davis (examples) is Woody feels those guys are not worth the funds they want compared to what he can get in portal.  This caused a shift. Some schools are still willing to throw big money at freshman, Woody is backing away from that. 

- He is on these 2025s more than some realize that are lower 50/100 types. Just doesn’t fit narrative. So he knows he has to bring a couple of those guys each year but it isn’t about “laziness” as much as balancing best use of NiL dollars and the holes he knows he has to fill right now. We can agree he messed up but he cant now pause and take 4 year types with 2024. 

- why do we care as a fanbase if donors want to give millions to buy a team? This is what the top 20 schools will all be doing in coming years and why the need for a GM. 

- why take on a project who may or may not work when you can take a guy who is 100% proven in college game? Avila at ISU made $30k this year and they HOPE to get him to $90k. This is new reality for lower schools against big NiL schools. Those guys are going to leave more and more. Yes, even if they are winning because if they can’t play in NBA, I got to make my money now. SIU coach list 3 really good ones and now gets fired. Sucks, reality of where things are. 

With funds like this and playing time, you can go get lot of really good guys. Why did Liam pull out then? Post is long enough and I touched on it prior. 

He needs to build a roster to exactly how he wants to play and then adjust his system slightly. He backed himself into a corner with how bad the guards and wings were on this and you can’t adjust much when you don’t have the guys to do it. As was stated, our front 3 are our best 3p guys. You can’t adjust to a more offense without guys to do it. Still playing through the paint doesn’t mean jam into post with right guys. 

for those that will say “this doesn’t work” - there are examples of schools that have had success with this and I would also argue this year portal is different again and nobody has tried it with this kind of funds thrown at it.  

Ok cool now what about the part where he doesn’t value the 3? Or he had to be told to go to a sectional game? Or where he strikes out on the top national guys like he did this year? 

Just now, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Ok cool now what about the part where he doesn’t value the 3? Or he had to be told to go to a sectional game? Or where he strikes out on the top national guys like he did this year? 

Don’t you get it. Not having a single recruit is all part of some master plan to revolutionize college basketball with an all transfer roster! 

8 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

This is going to be long. 

- he already knows who is out and who he wants out. 
- he already has some very probable immediate portal additions. Don’t have to wait for portal to open to know those. those conversations have been happening
- yes, there will need to be 5/6 guys picked up. If right, starter level guy, like MM, becomes available, he will take one IF price is right.

- if we all believe Chris has good info, he is saying $6 million for portal this year. I have heard even more with more to come following years once proven. 

- the average major conference starter level player makes $250k. Top 10 guy makes $750k to $1 million from direct collective type funds (maybe more or varies for a few if they have large social like a Cupps but those numbers are would not come from the $6 million.)

- schools can now have direct compensation conversations they couldn’t just last year. Schools can also take multi time transfers. This allows for that $6 million to be used more effectively.

- part of the issue with guys like Sanon or D Davis (examples) is Woody feels those guys are not worth the funds they want compared to what he can get in portal.  This caused a shift. Some schools are still willing to throw big money at freshman, Woody is backing away from that. 

- He is on these 2025s more than some realize that are lower 50/100 types. Just doesn’t fit narrative. So he knows he has to bring a couple of those guys each year but it isn’t about “laziness” as much as balancing best use of NiL dollars and the holes he knows he has to fill right now. We can agree he messed up but he cant now pause and take 4 year types with 2024. 

- why do we care as a fanbase if donors want to give millions to buy a team? This is what the top 20 schools will all be doing in coming years and why the need for a GM. 

- why take on a project who may or may not work when you can take a guy who is 100% proven in college game? Avila at ISU made $30k this year and they HOPE to get him to $90k. This is new reality for lower schools against big NiL schools. Those guys are going to leave more and more. Yes, even if they are winning because if they can’t play in NBA, I got to make my money now. SIU coach list 3 really good ones and now gets fired. Sucks, reality of where things are. 

With funds like this and playing time, you can go get lot of really good guys. Why did Liam pull out then? Post is long enough and I touched on it prior. 

He needs to build a roster to exactly how he wants to play and then adjust his system slightly. He backed himself into a corner with how bad the guards and wings were on this and you can’t adjust much when you don’t have the guys to do it. As was stated, our front 3 are our best 3p guys. You can’t adjust to a more offense without guys to do it. Still playing through the paint doesn’t mean jam into post with right guys. 

for those that will say “this doesn’t work” - there are examples of schools that have had success with this and I would also argue this year portal is different again and nobody has tried it with this kind of funds thrown at it.  

The coach lost a can’t miss, 5 star, whoWAS COMMITTED to the school and didn’t like the offense because of, well, a 350th ranked 3-pt offense! It’s called modern basketball. When Bennett retires this year, woody will carry the torch of awful ball to watch. It’s not fun to watch, and they lose. Why try to get excited over this style of play when clearly, clearly, the way to win and get modern players is like Zona, Houston, and UCONN. Please stop enjoying mediocrity. The program should be better than that  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Don’t you get it. Not having a single recruit is all part of some master plan to revolutionize college basketball with an all transfer roster! 

Haha, exactly.

It’s funny to me. I see (not a lot here but on other social media) that IU is going to have a ton of PT and NIL money to get the players, so next year, Woodson is going to rock. The problem with that is, players need to want to, you know, play for Woodson. If we have a bunch of players leave, for whatever reason, along with zero incoming freshman, you don’t think that raises red flags? You know what players like to do? Win. 

Could Woodson recruit a group of players and compete for a Big 10 title next year? Sure. But it’s wishful thinking to count on that yet we are.

Edited by Papacap

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

So funny NOT - it is my way of apologizing as there is no way to address all of this is 5 words. But go off 

If by “this”, you mean any words ever spoken, you are correct. You do understand the difference between the words pity and pithy, don’t you?

11 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

And not having enough guards was part of a master plan to revolutionize the game with a 5 centers offense.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Did you want the post to be even longer? have plenty of answers for all of it

look, if most of you just want to hope this is a bad dream and be mad, no worries. 

Reality is he is here to stay. Let me know when we are allowed to discuss what that future looks like. 

Ok, what does the future look like? To me, next season isn’t based on player development, coaching, or promising high school players contributing. It’s based on if IU can buy enough talent. Thats it. IU’s season might be done by the end of spring. 

Also, do you know how many schools will make the NCAA with 6 or more transfers? I know. It’s not good.

Just a FYI, IU had the 17th best transfer class last year.

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/team-rankings/basketball/2023/

Edited by IndyHoops