Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson

25 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

irony is months ago on here I said this negative attitude being thrown at players was an issue on social media, booing etc. Everyone said that was crap and if players don’t like it, they are too soft. Now everyone defends Trey to the end because it fits their narrative. 

"everyone" is a big term to throw around.  And the truth is the one person who should be taking the booing most personally is Woody.  It's his product on the floor.

21 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

That, in a nutshell, is the biggest issue.  I could somewhat stomach the team stumbling if the head coach acknowledged that there are issues that have been identified and they are trying to fix.  At this I feel like at some point during the year he has thrown Ware ('if he decides to play'), Reneua ('he played awful'), Cupps ('he's just a freshman') all under the bus.  And he's thrown Banks, Sparks, and now Walker under the bus by burying them on the bench.  Only guy I've seen him defend is Mgbako and that was early on when he was struggling.

At what point does a coach start to realize that if the players/system isn't jelling, it's not a player issue but rather a coaching one?  The truth is this is the exact same system IU ran last year.  Only difference is TJD and JHS covered up a lot of warts.  But the talent IU has individually is good enough to win now.  Collectively, there are issues in the roster construction but losing at home to Penn State, Northwestern, and Nebraska wasn't a talent issue.

100%. A good, engaged coach would be winning some of these games, we have the talent to win, even with X out with injury. 

In my opinion, Woodson is for some extraordinarily bizarre reason stuck in a stubborn rut view of play through the post play coupled with a complete failure to recognize the failures his system has produced and inability to hold himself accountable. I'm at the point where if it were my decision I'd go ahead and work out his separation -- I'm fully confident he'll be here next season, but have no confidence we'll see anything different from him.

Have great respect for him as an IU player and member of the IU family. But he's lost my respect as an IU coach.

20 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Not necessarily a red flag, but it should be a cause for concern all things considered. Still, I maintain that FAU is a 1st round buzzer beater away from May’s name not even being on the table, not to mention the huge break they received with FDU taking out Purdue the round prior. His trajectory checks all the boxes as do other intangibles, I’m just not sold on his abilities just quite yet.

This is kind of like saying if Keith Smart didn't hit that last shot against Syracuse in '87 IU wouldn't have a 5th banner. 

I agree in that I truly believe that Woody is the same good guy who loves Indiana University that he's always been. I think there's way too much heat on Woody the person right now. 
However; the roster construction, team effort and consistency, and results frankly stink currently, and that burden falls squarely on Woody's lap.
In summary? I'm still a Mike Woodson fan, but it just doesn't seem to be working out and at 66 the fit seems to be terrible and kinda hopeless.
It was a horrible fit from day one it's the old trying to put a square jn a round hole. Hiring somebody just because they went to that school is a really incompetent way to make a coaching hire.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

It's not in my nature to root for IU to lose.  Not judging anyone else, just am still going to root for IU to win every game left.  Who the coach is in the future is beyond my pay grade.  Regardless of what happens the rest of the year and wanting this program to get better.  Hope that the right decisions are made based on results.

I'll be at the last game of the year and know that with the current trajectory that the team could be met with some boo birds.  Can't personally do it.

Something else I was wondering…let’s say Dolson has for sure already started the back channels of speaking with other candidates to replace Woodson and working through all the details involved with it. Isn’t that something the BoTs would have a grasp on as well? Like if Dolson has made the choice by now that we need to move on then would Buckner know about it, and therefore since he’s buddy buddy with Woodson, would let him know already that it’s happening? Maybe this is all stuff that happens behind the scenes that Dolson does on his own without the board even knowing, but if they do then you’d think Buckner would be telling Woodson what’s going on. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Cupps got abused so badly that social services was called but I missed the TO of him getting chewed out. Maybe it was during a commercial. Ware has had some terrible moments, not seen him being screamed at, half the time he's not even hustling up or down the court. Mgbako we all know has been bad defensively all season but haven't seen him yelled at. Have the same standard for everyone. 

Saying Reneau was awful last week, and saying Trey was really bad the other night is not what successful coaches do. That's not the ownership I want for my program

One if the all time best coaches after a close win at NW called out Alford for being the worse leader he had ever had. Two months later they cut down the nets in New Orleans. I just can't believe how soft and thin skin people are today.

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, it didn't get to start for TWO WHOLE GAMES. Of course, he played in both...

Yep, plenty if minutes in both too. 

And let's not forget his joy ride down Walnut last season when he tried to shake responsibility by switching seats with the passenger. Such maturity and leadership right there.

17 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

One if the all time best coaches after a close win at NW called out Alford for being the worse leader he had ever had. Two months later they cut down the nets in New Orleans. I just can't believe how soft and thin skin people are today.

Yeah and that coach had already won two national championships and proved himself. I’m not sure the two are comparable. 

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yep. Coach Knight had multiple national championships and an undefeated season under his belt at the time he called out his best players.   Calling out players who are playing out of position on a team that is 14-12 and under .500 in conference isn’t going to have the same weight from a coach that has only coached for 3 years in college compared to one that was considered one of if not the best coach in the game at the time he was doing it.  If Woody had a couple Elite 8 and final 4 run in those 3 years of coaching no one would give a crap if he was calling his players out 

I was responding to Chris who says successful coaches don't call out players in the press. Just stating that isn't true