Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

20 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Coach Hunter drinks the same Kool-Aid.  From last night as he filled in for Woody on the weekly radio show.

Kenya Hunter: "I just think just with the games we have at home remaining...hopefully that will help get us over the hump."

I’m tired of hearing about this hump

13 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Do we know if he could be out recruiting 

Certainly that is a possibility.  However, none of the major players who are pretty clued into our recruiting efforts - Rabjohns, Andershock, Schumann - have even hinted that he was on the road.  

12 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I am pretty sure that Shrews to IU would all but guarantee Sisley and Mullins, and almost as certain that Dusty would do the same.

I think you missed the point where I said I feared what would happen if we didn't make a move this year. Sisley and Mullins are '25 recruits and will be deciding this summer/fall. If things continue and the bottom falls out and Woody continues to half-@$$ recruiting, they very well could commit and sign elsewhere. 

If IU hires either of those guys after next year Sisley and Mullins aren't going to ask out of their LOI two months before they go on campus somewhere else. That's some crimson colored thinking if you believe they would. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

It would take 5 minutes of Dusty May from southern Indiana talking basketball with the Sisley family to get him on board at IU

Not if Trent is signed somewhere else. 

9 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

My part on Dusty is as much about saying Goodman is kiss of death as much as anything haha

I can get behind him but I don’t love him. This year hasn’t went well enough for me. Let’s see how he does down the stretch. 

Goodman has been the loudest critic of Woody from the beginning, rightfully so. So it goes both ways 

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Not if Trent is signed somewhere else. 

Well, I'm trying to get some changes happening. No, but I understand what you are saying. I'm guessing if Sisley had to act today I think he would go to Purdue. I think a lot of these 25 Indiana kids don't want to come to play in this style. Also think Woody still thinks IU recruits itself in this state which it doesn't anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well, I'm trying to get some changes happening. No, but I understand what you are saying. I'm guessing if Sisley had to act today I think he would go to Purdue. I think a lot of these 25 Indiana kids don't want to come to play in this style. Also think Woody still thinks IU recruits itself in this state which it doesn't anymore. 

I think you are right. But who could blame him

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I was already on the May train but this just solidifies it. Maybe instead of getting Brad Stevens, we get the next Brad Stevens

I agree Chris. Woodson was never the Indiana guy, nor was Steve. But Dusty May just may be the Indiana guy to lead the program back. 

Get it done Dolson, ASAP!

If Dusty is the guy I don't want to wait. I worried about missing our window of opportunity. Not to mention we could lose out on some top in state recruits.

I know Dolson won't fire Woody this year but I hope he works overtime to convince him to walk away and retire. That's the only way this happens this year. 

I really do hope Dolson feels like he needs to make a move sooner than later to be able to get May if he thinks he needs to be the guy. I realize it’d be a dream destination and he’d come regardless, but let’s say Ohio State or Louisville or something opens up after this season and he gets offered the job. He wouldn’t want to turn that down would he? Then he could be fine with being at those schools for a little while with success while we sit and risk going through mediocre seasons with Woodson some more. 

Also, I saw someone mention it being a pretty bad look that Woodson wasn’t on the coaches show and had Hunter do it instead. I wonder if there really is something to that or just isn’t that big of a deal. I know Woodson had that comment a while back saying something like he doesn’t need to answer to the fans….so just could seem like an odd time to miss the show after losing by 20 to Purdue again. Like I said, I’m not saying that’s the reason he missed, but I understand the optics that could have to some people.

33 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I really do hope Dolson feels like he needs to make a move sooner than later to be able to get May if he thinks he needs to be the guy. I realize it’d be a dream destination and he’d come regardless, but let’s say Ohio State or Louisville or something opens up after this season and he gets offered the job. He wouldn’t want to turn that down would he? Then he could be fine with being at those schools for a little while with success while we sit and risk going through mediocre seasons with Woodson some more. 

Also, I saw someone mention it being a pretty bad look that Woodson wasn’t on the coaches show and had Hunter do it instead. I wonder if there really is something to that or just isn’t that big of a deal. I know Woodson had that comment a while back saying something like he doesn’t need to answer to the fans….so just could seem like an odd time to miss the show after losing by 20 to Purdue again. Like I said, I’m not saying that’s the reason he missed, but I understand the optics that could have to some people.

Maybe something to it, maybe not... but at this point, it give the appearance of Woodson having checked out...

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

May can be the biggest basketball savant to ever live and still not succeed. The IU job is way more and way harder than just coaching X and Os. If it takes him 4 years to really get going which is very possible, he will have had the pressure turned up to 11 by then and could crack.

In a lot of areas in life, the smartest guy doesn’t succeed. 

If it takes him 4 years, yes, he'd be chastised. Teams can literally bring in 8-10 news guys a year now and if that doesn't work year 1, teams can do it all again year 3. I believe if May, who I sincerely hope is hired in the next 60 days, had a lackluster first year the minimum expectation for year 2 is the tournament and every year beyond that is competing nationally. It just comes with the job, if coaches don't want expectations and fan pressure, they should go to a place that doesn't value and have history of being successful - it's a part of the IU job just as it is w/ UK, Louisville, Duke, UNC, Kansas. IU will provide a coach w/ top notch facilities, astronomical pay, NIL funds that are hard to match, and brand recognition. IU and fans make a coaches life easy to recruit and vehemently support a winner. Win or be replaced. 

"It's Indiana, It's Indiana"

May can be the biggest basketball savant to ever live and still not succeed. The IU job is way more and way harder than just coaching X and Os. If it takes him 4 years to really get going which is very possible, he will have had the pressure turned up to 11 by then and could crack.
In a lot of areas in life, the smartest guy doesn’t succeed. 

The smartest guy usually makes sure he has everything in place to give him the best chance to succeed. Nothing is guaranteed.

Also I know the pressure you’re talking about is different, but after last years run FAU has been under the national spotlight with everyone in the country watching to see if they were a fluke. Quite a bit of pressure and more attention than IU has had on them from a national perspective in a while. Dealt with some injuries and some hiccups with bigger competition but overall looks to be sustaining. More pressure-proven than most if you ask me, despite the lower stakes at a school like FAU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want Woodson to have success and even I have made the argument that he's made the tourney 2x after a half-decade dry spell, but when you see it faltering it's time to pull the plug. It's not getting to the tourney, though that is important, it's the play style, the character of the players, the recruiting, and possibility of coaching style leading admin/fans to be hopeful they can win a "B1G championship or National Championship" as Woodson says. It's clear as day that this style of ball isn't going to bring in top end talent and will not produce results that end up in championships. All future indicators point to this being a crash and burn ending for Woody and IU, save some face while there is still a possibility to do so. That's why I want IU to move on before Woodson's entire IU image is tainted. Don't let the dog slowly bleed, put it out of his misery quickly. 

And if they do separate after this year, T's & P's to Coach Woodson for a great "bridge" contract to return IU from the dumpster fire it has been since 2016. We would look back fondly on Woodson and his contribution if it ends this year, next year the image will be different. 

I would argue he is barely hanging on this year. If he went to a final four at IU and then returned that roster, only to turn around and lose to all the teams he has this year, yeah, he would be in hot water. I also fully expect them to flame out early in the tourney this year. Then what will guys say? Give him a pass? 

I disagree, if he took IU to a final four and then lost a handful of rough games en route to the tourney we would all still be giddy that we went to a final four and didn’t fall off a cliff back to oblivion. I think most would agree but I’m sure you won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk