Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I haven't followed this thread for weeks, so I don't really even know why I'm here other than morbid curiosity.

But the die hards in here are going to have a crappy time next season regardless because Woodson is either going to:

1) achieve enough to stay (you'll be pissed because your take was wrong and he's still here),

2) underachieve and still stay (you'll be super extra pissed), or

3) underachieve and be relieved of his post (he'll be gone but you'll still be pissed). 

Those still calling for his head at this point only win if he's fired, and even then you don't really win because the season went badly awry and we again have to start over.

So why don't we just wait and see how it goes?

There really seems to be two options. The first is to keep averages/decent coaches around and make excuses. The second would be to go after promising coaches and hold them to the IU standards of yesteryear.

I’d rather have a few down years and find our winning coach for the next few decades rather than knowing the majority of the time our teams will underachieve.

19 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I haven't followed this thread for weeks, so I don't really even know why I'm here other than morbid curiosity.

But the die hards in here are going to have a crappy time next season regardless because Woodson is either going to:

1) achieve enough to stay (you'll be pissed because your take was wrong and he's still here),

2) underachieve and still stay (you'll be super extra pissed), or

3) underachieve and be relieved of his post (he'll be gone but you'll still be pissed). 

Those still calling for his head at this point only win if he's fired, and even then you don't really win because the season went badly awry and we again have to start over.

So why don't we just wait and see how it goes?

#2 is the most likely option given the astronomically los expectations IU has for its basketball program these days (1 tournament win in 2 years gets you a million dollar raise as if we’re a mid major Cinderella story), and it’s the option that should piss everyone off. 

It’s unlikely Woodson misses the tournament given the roster his buddies bought for him, though if anyone could do it, it’d be Mike Woodson. And if he makes the tournament then they’ll stick with him because hey it’s IU, making the tournament is the new final four run. 

Why would I be pissed what the administration does or doesn’t do with Woody after the season?

We actually win something for once under Woody (regular season, tourney, or NCAA) I’ll be stoked. We underachieve again? It’s Indiana, it’s Indiana. The sun will come up tomorrow. Those close to me and I are still in good health. Life is good. I’ve found other ways to give back to IU I feel much better about than $$$ to the basketball program.

Lots of schools making big moves. We have an exciting roster, for which I’m glad but I’m studying other rosters and it’s gonna be a stacked year. Teams in the 40s and 50s have impressive rosters.

Woodson seems to be content to stay at 12. Health of Reneau and Ballo of utmost importance. The health of Gallo/Newton could prove really important.

I’m really curious to see Myles Rice guard a strong athletic guard.

Today has been a big day for a lot of programs. I think Hawkins ends up at UNC.

Woody will have a lot to prove. His 5-6 million produced a borderline top 20 team. Maybe it’s a top 10 team with a different coach. Idk. Work. To. Do.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

#2 is the most likely option given the astronomically los expectations IU has for its basketball program these days (1 tournament win in 2 years gets you a million dollar raise as if we’re a mid major Cinderella story), and it’s the option that should piss everyone off. 

It’s unlikely Woodson misses the tournament given the roster his buddies bought for him, though if anyone could do it, it’d be Mike Woodson. And if he makes the tournament then they’ll stick with him because hey it’s IU, making the tournament is the new final four run. 

What if he does?

What if IU makes the FF?

What would it take for you to give him any credit?

I don’t know if Woodson can pull it off or not but I am going to at least give him the opportunity. 

Are you that connected to the program that you know, 100%, that “ his buddies “bought him a roster? Or is that your sorry @$$ lame explanation? 

I get that there are folks wanting Woodson gone. What I don’t get, and frankly what is really pathetic, is the assumptions that lead to those opinions.

What if he does? I hope he does.

What if IU makes the FF? That would be incredible

What would it take for you to give him any credit? Be better than anticipated. Pay top 5 dollars get top 10-15 results should be the goal.

I don’t know if Woodson can pull it off or not but I am going to at least give him the opportunity. 

Are you that connected to the program that you know, 100%, that “ his buddies “bought him a roster? Or is that your sorry @$$ lame explanation?  Never said it’s his buddies. I’m glad our Nil is Robust. I’m pissed we played the holier than thou card for 25 years.

I get that there are folks wanting Woodson gone. What I don’t get, and frankly what is really pathetic, is the assumptions that lead to those opinions. /// Nothing pathetic about wanting your coach to prove the industry wrong and win above expectations but having concerns he won’t based on 3 years of underperforming. You can bet I’ll be “#1 type fan mode” and hoping for better basketball and results.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

I get that there are folks wanting Woodson gone. What I don’t get, and frankly what is really pathetic, is the assumptions that lead to those opinions.

Going out on a limb here in the "Fire Mike Woodson" thread. LOL

8 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

What if he does?

What if IU makes the FF?

What would it take for you to give him any credit?

Are you that connected to the program that you know, 100%, that “ his buddies “bought him a roster? Or is that your sorry @$$ lame explanation? 

He’s done absolutely nothing during his three years at IU to warrant “credit.” Nothing positive, at least. I’ll give him credit when he retires for the good of the program because he recognizes that he’s not the right guy for the job.

58 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s done absolutely nothing during his three years at IU to warrant “credit.” Nothing positive, at least. I’ll give him credit when he retires for the good of the program because he recognizes that he’s not the right guy for the job.

It might be different if he ever took ownership of failures instead of making excuses.

Then again this is IU, just making a 68 team field is cause for celebration and a raise.

14 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Smdh? Would you rather him repeat the line that he still believes the college game is played through the post? 

Since it's become clear CMW will be the IUBB HC next year, haven't we all demanded that he learn from previous mistakes? 

This is a warmly received message, for me. The roster construction certainly suggests intent to play a different style.

That is good news IMO. Nice to see verbal indication of that from the staff in the offseason. Progress... 

So wait, who are the true fans now then?  The people criticizing him for not having that approach that he lambasted at senior night or those who backed him when he was dead wrong?  

The only talking that matters is Wins.  I think he also mentioned at some point at Huber's that having Reneau and Ballo will go good together.  Everything remains to be seen.  He said he was going to change his approach after TJD left.  He didn't.  Talk is cheap, wins are what matters.

17 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It might be different if he ever took ownership of failures instead of making excuses.

Then again this is IU, just making a 68 team field is cause for celebration and a raise.

Yep. Making the play-in game is doing his job.