Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

14 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Smdh? Would you rather him repeat the line that he still believes the college game is played through the post? 

Since it's become clear CMW will be the IUBB HC next year, haven't we all demanded that he learn from previous mistakes? 

This is a warmly received message, for me. The roster construction certainly suggests intent to play a different style.

That is good news IMO. Nice to see verbal indication of that from the staff in the offseason. Progress... 

These people are going to be miserable for the next 9-10 months. 

11 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I haven't followed this thread for weeks, so I don't really even know why I'm here other than morbid curiosity.

But the die hards in here are going to have a crappy time next season regardless because Woodson is either going to:

1) achieve enough to stay (you'll be pissed because your take was wrong and he's still here),

2) underachieve and still stay (you'll be super extra pissed), or

3) underachieve and be relieved of his post (he'll be gone but you'll still be pissed). 

Those still calling for his head at this point only win if he's fired, and even then you don't really win because the season went badly awry and we again have to start over.

So why don't we just wait and see how it goes?

Amen 

I haven't posted in this thread since late March. I just can't believe people are still posting in this thread because he is here next year. Everyone knew I wanted a change to be made but they didn't make a change so I am actually going to support this team and coach. I hope we win big and make me look like an idiot to want a new coach.

11 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I haven't followed this thread for weeks, so I don't really even know why I'm here other than morbid curiosity.

But the die hards in here are going to have a crappy time next season regardless because Woodson is either going to:

1) achieve enough to stay (you'll be pissed because your take was wrong and he's still here),

2) underachieve and still stay (you'll be super extra pissed), or

3) underachieve and be relieved of his post (he'll be gone but you'll still be pissed). 

Those still calling for his head at this point only win if he's fired, and even then you don't really win because the season went badly awry and we again have to start over.

So why don't we just wait and see how it goes?

Certain posters are doubling and tripling down and staking their sanity on it. Will be interesting to see how full the wagon gets next spring. 

34 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

What if we win the big ten championship and get to the elite 8

Then my guess would be some would want to see consistency after that.   Going to take more than 1 good year to convince some that he would be the guy moving forward.    Would people be fine with with the B1G next year and an Elite 8 and then the next 4 years don’t make the tourney?  Consistency is key for any coach.   South Carolina made a Final 4 in 2017.   Kansas St made the  Elite 8 in 2018 and 2023.   Programs can Fluke their way to advancing in the tourney however the goal should be a consistent program with a chance at advancing every year.   

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

What if we win the big ten championship and get to the elite 8

Steven Tyler said it best: "Dream on". I sincerely doubt that will be an issue with Mediocre Mike. Using a couple of billionaires' checkbooks to buy a team is one thing. Coaching them to a successful season is quite another.

In case you missed it, making the play-in game once, making the round of 32 once and missing the tournament completely is "doing his job"..

39 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Then my guess would be some would want to see consistency after that.   Going to take more than 1 good year to convince some that he would be the guy moving forward.    Would people be fine with with the B1G next year and an Elite 8 and then the next 4 years don’t make the tourney?  Consistency is key for any coach.   South Carolina made a Final 4 in 2017.   Kansas St made the  Elite 8 in 2018 and 2023.   Programs can Fluke their way to advancing in the tourney however the goal should be a consistent program with a chance at advancing every year.   

To me some of the most vocal against Woodson wants to be proven right in their opinion. I see them wanting to be right more than actually seeing IU win with Woodson as coach. I want to be proven wrong because all I care about is IU winning games 

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Steven Tyler said it best: "Dream on". I sincerely doubt that will be an issue with Mediocre Mike. Using a couple of billionaires' checkbooks to buy a team is one thing. Coaching them to a successful season is quite another.

In case you missed it, making the play-in game once, making the round of 32 once and missing the tournament completely is "doing his job"..

Did I say he has done his job well, no

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So wait, who are the true fans now then?  The people criticizing him for not having that approach that he lambasted at senior night or those who backed him when he was dead wrong?  

The only talking that matters is Wins.  I think he also mentioned at some point at Huber's that having Reneau and Ballo will go good together.  Everything remains to be seen.  He said he was going to change his approach after TJD left.  He didn't.  Talk is cheap, wins are what matters.

Lol I agree with your sentiment. We can't win until we start playing games. No idea what you're getting at with the true fans thing because it has nothing to do with my post. But sure go off if it makes you feel better bro. If you want to stew all offseason about how everything is **** be my guest.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Indeed. Consistency was a major issue with Crean. He'd have really good years but couldn't consistently field a good team.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Agreed. I mean, Woody is what? 66? 67? 

How long has it been since he actually signed a high school recruit? 

I get that recruiting has changed due to the portal, but to have long-term success, you're going to have to recruit high-school kids too. Spinning the portal roulette wheel every year isn't going to be the answer for sustained, consistent success. You're going to have to develop some high school kids as well. 

The fear that many of us had about Woodson has come to fruition. He has the ego of a long-term NBA coach and former Hoosier legend, and wasn't familiar with the college game. I mean, he's JUST NOW admitting that guards are the key to winning in college? In year 4? 

And, in addition to Rabjohn's tweet about Woody quoting the guard's comment, this was another stellar tweet from Rabjohns about Woody: 

"Mike Woodson on high school prospects in the portal era: “You still got to stay serious about high school players. … if Mike Woodson offers me a scholarship to play at Indiana, I’m saying, “**** I’m coming.’”

Ok, so other than the weird, narcissistic, talking in third-person thing, what exactly has he done to show that he's serious about convincing high school players to come?

Even with a certain amount of success this year, I think it's extremely fair for people to look at the program and question whether there is the foundation for sustained success under Woody. Zero high school recruits this year and half the roster turned over in the portal. That can't be a regular thing...

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Bryson Tucker about two months ago

Yep. Agreed. I should've said, "How long has it been since he actually developed a relationship with a recruit and signed one?" 

It seems all of his signings are quick, last-minute ones. 

MM, BT, JHS...

Talking about long-term program development here.

I haven’t read through all of the most recent posts but it just seems that every time MW opens his mouth it puts everyone on edge, ruffles everyone’s feathers and gets us all riled up!  I think he just needs to stop talking!   Let the season play out and we will see how well he can actually coach.

There have been several coaches make fluke runs. Mike Davis, Tom Crean, Kevin Ollie, etc. all made runs in the tourney but I wouldn’t call any of them good coaches.

If Woody was a decade or two younger, showed he was a good coach in the NBA, or overachieved his first few seasons I’d be interested to see what he could build at IU. However, his actions as the head coach at IU hasn’t really proven he’s anything more than just an okay coach outside of hanging that off-season banner each summer.

It seems like there is some projection going on in this thread.

The talent seems to have been upgraded but only time will tell. I am excited to see if changes have been made to the style of play. If we’re playing dumb basketball with a lack of e and e again there are always better things to do!

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

Lol I agree with your sentiment. We can't win until we start playing games. No idea what you're getting at with the true fans thing because it has nothing to do with my post. But sure go off if it makes you feel better bro. If you want to stew all offseason about how everything is **** be my guest.

The true fans was directed at Woodson, not you.  He is now preaching from their Bible.  All the online critics and such, all of them were saying this is a guards game and he was the last guy crawling up the hill with the "big man's game" flag.  So after being a complete **** about it, he turns around and says, "Yeah, all you assholes were right..." and then expects to be lauded for stuff that his critics have been pointing out since he got here....well, no.

As far as stewing, everything isn't all ****.  He has put together a tremendous roster on paper.  You will see my most recent posts saying we should be expecting an outstanding year next year.  Top 15 in the country type of finish.  No hedges on my expectations like Mike's biggest backers quite frequently do.  This team should compete for a BIG Ten title, have more than 25 wins, and be a 3 or 4 seed or better in the tournament with expectations to make noise in the tournament.  I expect big things.  I expect everyone that is supporting Mike to hold him to that high standard.

My issue with Woodson is that I view him as a net negative.  I think if you give run of the mill NCAA coach his roster, that he will underperform the average.  I think a whole bunch of people who want to roll out the pom-poms now think exactly the same.  So I guess showing up into the pessimistic thread and wanting to throw shade is asking for a retort.  The most pessimistic among us aren't going to be rushing out to clap Woodson on the back until and unless he starts winning at a level that would meet expectations.  If he wins next year, I will congratulate him.

As far as being miserable, nah, Indiana basketball is such a small part of life.  In the offseason I am only checking in here every now and again.

Woodson's head coaching career was over before IU called; there was no demand because he showed he was a crappy coach and they believed it.

IU is in the position they're in because of IU. We fired the only good coach we've had in the last 25 years and drag our feet to fire the bad ones. We let standards go and replaced expectations with excuses. We haven't examined the hiring process that's led to lousy coach after lousy coach.

We want to get back? Ditch the excuses and set and hold expectations, refuse to lower the standards; it's the coach's job to meet them not lower them to the point he can't fail. And change the hiring process because it clearly doesn't work.

If we want to compete with the big boys we have to act like them.