Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

32 minutes ago, Demo said:

IMG_1372.png

Incredibly hard for me to believe that Cig is the sort to respond to random dudes spouting obvious crap on Twitter. But that is, in fact, his account.

Thin skinned when offended? Yup... that seems like it can be our guy! lol There's a whole lot of Bob Knight in Curt Cignetti. A whole lot.

However, I am finding it hard to believe that heading into this big game, Cig's inspirational mantra is:

"We gotta win this here footballin' game to stick it to that 17 year old rat bastard traitor Derik Queen."

Lots of talk already about Florida, FSU and Arkansas. I don't know what it would take, if anything, to make sure he stays in Bloomington? I don't think $ will be a factor but there's a lot of other factors that IU is lagging behind these programs. Officially already nervous.

On 9/25/2024 at 2:15 PM, Stuhoo said:

Thin skinned when offended? Yup... that seems like it can be our guy! lol There's a whole lot of Bob Knight in Curt Cignetti. A whole lot.

However, I am finding it hard to believe that heading into this big game, Cig's inspirational mantra is:

"We gotta win this here footballin' game to stick it to that 17 year old rat bastard traitor Derik Queen."

I'm always down for an opportunity to use "rat bastard". Well done. And yes, when listening CCC I hear a lot of CBK. Hopefully, just the good.

9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm always down for an opportunity to use "rat bastard". Well done. And yes, when listening CCC I hear a lot of CBK. Hopefully, just the good.

Willl he get fired after winning 3 Natl Championships?.......if so, those terms are acceptable.

39 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

Lots of talk already about Florida, FSU and Arkansas. I don't know what it would take, if anything, to make sure he stays in Bloomington? I don't think $ will be a factor but there's a lot of other factors that IU is lagging behind these programs. Officially already nervous.

Florida would be stupid not to offer him the house. 

3 hours ago, rcbowla said:

None of those schools on this list would give him the type of control he currently has.  Maybe Arkansas.  But even that job still has its challenges. Most importantly, if he goes I have faith in the current administration hiring the right guy to replace him.  It's clear they are investing in IUFB, finally! 

But I don't think he goes anywhere.  He's here to win a national championship for the school that has the most losses in college football history just to prove a point and give the finger to all those schools that passed up on him in the past. 

16 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

None of those schools on this list would give him the type of control he currently has.  Maybe Arkansas.  But even that job still has its challenges. Most importantly, if he goes I have faith in the current administration hiring the right guy to replace him.  It's clear they are investing in IUFB, finally! 

But I don't think he goes anywhere.  He's here to win a national championship for the school that has the most losses in college football history just to prove a point and give the finger to all those schools that passed up on him in the past. 

Very similar thought process from me. What is sweeter than turning a perennial loser into a winner? I would assume it’s a Curt-Cignetti-like coach’s dream. 

Obviously IU can’t compete with Florida’s resources, but the problem for them is kinda like the problem for iubb. Dan Mullen went 10-3 (5-3), 11-2 (6-2), and 8-4 (8-3), and then got fired for one bad 5-6 season. Now, in addition to schools like Bama, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee, you also have to compete against Texas and Oklahoma. The UF administration will expect you to be as good as those teams on a yearly basis and will fire you if you aren’t.   

Those results make you the greatest coach in IUFB history. It’s unrealistic to expect 10-11 win seasons consistently at IU, but 8 or 9 win seasons are entirely realistic now that divisions are gone. Maybe it’s always been his dream to coach a premier program. If that’s the case, it’ll be hard to keep him given the demand there will be after this season. But the iu job pays him millions of dollars a year to coach in a top 2 conference at a school with low expectations but increasing resources. 

On 9/25/2024 at 2:15 PM, Stuhoo said:

Seems like you misread? Coach Cig said it was not true in the comments and Demo let us know it was Coach Cig's account.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Maybe it’s always been his dream to coach a premier program. 

None of us truly knows how he visualizes the last 5-7 years of his career but your above statement is the one possibility that makes me nervous. He is an extremely competitive guy, that has moved up the football “food chain”, and very well may want to coach an elite level football program.

On the other hand he might be satisfied maintaining excellence at a program he built like Frank Beamer at Va Tech. Who knows ??

I don’t see him going to a place like Arkansas but FL or FL State might tempt him. That being said….for his stock to be high he still has to prove himself against NB, @MSU, UM and OSU.

59 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

None of us truly knows how he visualizes the last 5-7 years of his career but your above statement is the one possibility that makes me nervous. He is an extremely competitive guy, that has moved up the football “food chain”, and very well may want to coach an elite level football program.

On the other hand he might be satisfied maintaining excellence at a program he built like Frank Beamer at Va Tech. Who knows ??

I don’t see him going to a place like Arkansas but FL or FL State might tempt him. That being said….for his stock to be high he still has to prove himself against NB, @MSU, UM and OSU.

You're right about proving himself. For all we know, we still haven't beat anyone good. UCLA certainly seems to be bad and Maryland could be bad as well. Now, I get a completely different feeling watching this team than "just beating bad teams". What I've been watching seems sustainable but we shall see. Enjoying the ride regardless of future decisions and outcomes.

I got to thinking about this the other day: how did Purdue manage to keep Joe Tiller for 12 seasons? I know the latter half of his tenure was pretty pedestrian, but his first four years they were 9-3, 9-4, 7-5 and 8-4 with a Big Ten title and Rose Bowl berth. Zero chance any Purdue coach makes it past four years with those numbers today; maybe not even past year two. Are programs just that desperate to win? Is social media amplifying more thoughts and desires into existence? I remember hearing that Tiller wasn't an attractive option at that time because of his age, but he was 53 when Purdue hired him, a whole decade younger than Cignetti is now. 

I get that times change and we have to change with them, but I don't think I'm ever going to like how certain college athletic programs are nothing but feeder systems for those with more money and prestige. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Obviously IU can’t compete with Florida’s resources, but the problem for them is kinda like the problem for iubb. Dan Mullen went 10-3 (5-3), 11-2 (6-2), and 8-4 (8-3), and then got fired for one bad 5-6 season. Now, in addition to schools like Bama, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee, you also have to compete against Texas and Oklahoma. The UF administration will expect you to be as good as those teams on a yearly basis and will fire you if you aren’t.   

Those results make you the greatest coach in IUFB history. It’s unrealistic to expect 10-11 win seasons consistently at IU, but 8 or 9 win seasons are entirely realistic now that divisions are gone. Maybe it’s always been his dream to coach a premier program. If that’s the case, it’ll be hard to keep him given the demand there will be after this season. But the iu job pays him millions of dollars a year to coach in a top 2 conference at a school with low expectations but increasing resources. 

Why not?

"Change the way people think." -Coach Cig

Just some perspective here. Rick Neuheisel on the CBS halftime show believes Cignetti could be the next Saban. 
https://www.instagram.com/cbssportscfb/reel/DAe3nG7srIT/

I know it's just one man's opinion and that man is Neuheisel but... he's making a strong case. 

I'll say it again, I believe the university from top to bottom is truly invested in IUFB. And I find that extremely comforting regardless what happens. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I don't think there is much doubt that Dolson is going to try to give him a raise mid-season while also adding some teeth to his buy-out.

Whether or not that happens will be pretty telling as far as his thought process IMO.

...at this point it's not about Dolson thinking about giving a raise or increase, it's when, because it will happen. At the end of the season. Coach Cignetti's full focus has to stay on the task at hand.

Teams will definitely come calling and I can only imagine with big pocketbooks. IU's do whatever it can to keep Coach Cignetti and his staff. This is uncharted territory.......

Keeping Cig is not only going to be about increasing his salary but has to also include

• Increasing his staff's salary 
  • Increasing the NIL
  • Getting and keeping the stadium full

He may take pride in knowing he built us into a national power, should he stay, but at his age he also has to consider which opportunity will give him the best chance for success.  I think i read somewhere about how he did not really get a big payday till later in his career.  Since he was an assistant for so long, then a HC at a smaller school, he may need to capitalize on catchup potential if that should come with an offer from a blue chip football program.