Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

How to fix the Big 10 and its constant failure during March Madness

The Big Ten has had 26 teams make the tournament the last three years and are 4-26 getting to the Sweet 16.

How should the Big 10 (if they actually put their ego aside and realize the problem they created) fix this. 
they have made the big 10 a joke. 

Quite simple.  Change way the game is officiated in the conference.  There is now a talent gap with other conferences based on how teams have had to build to compete.  NIL should help some schools get better players (see Rutgers and Maryland recruiting). It can be fixed and quickly if we eliminate tackle basketball.  The issue is that some of the schools benefit from the status quo and would be left behind (Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa).

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

By reffing the game like the other major conferences do instead of reffing it like it’s an extension of the B1G football season. Top recruits by and large don’t want to play in the B1G because of the style. 

Beat me to it

By reffing the game like the other major conferences do instead of reffing it like it’s an extension of the B1G football season. Top recruits by and large don’t want to play in the B1G because of the style. 

We have been hoping for them to fix officiating for years. I hope it Happens but i am not going to get my hopes up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol…go to the other tourney thread and read FAU’s coaches comments on Tenn. Did you watch Kansas St vs UK today? Or Uconns big brute down low?  

The SEC and Big 12 have the best athletes and are easily as physical as the Big Ten. Probably moreso. 

16 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I wish I could find the article that was written about athletic talent moving away from the Big 1.o footprint that would cause what we're seeing now. I believe it was published sometime between 2012-2014.

A simple population shift would explain a lot of it. It’s not much different in football.  

Detroit used to be the 4th largest city. Now it’s a shell of It’s former self. Cleveland and Milwaukee were first rate American cities. Now Atlanta and Dallas are we’ll past them. So on and so forth… 

The Big Ten spent time expanding into Nebraska and Happy Valley. The SEC is gobbling up Austin.  

People can explain about getting LA schools but they’ll no doubt push us in football and basketball. 

8 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Lol…go to the other tourney thread and read FAU’s coaches comments on Tenn. Did you watch Kansas St vs UK today? Or Uconns big brute down low?  

The SEC and Big 12 have the best athletes and are easily as physical as the Big Ten. Probably moreso. 

To be fair.....the Big 12 was by far and away the best conference this year and they've flamed pretty bad in the tournament so far.  Had seeds of 1, 2, 3, 3, 6, 6, and 9 yet only had 2 teams reach the sweet sixteen.

People haven't been arguing about other conferences having better athletes.  The questions is WHY they do.  And if you think that the other leagues are allowing the same kind of physicality in the post, I don't know what to say.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

People haven't been arguing about other conferences having better athletes.  The questions is WHY they do.  And if you think that the other leagues are allowing the same kind of physicality in the post, I don't know what to say.

You had people in the game thread saying the Big Ten calls it too soft and that’s why tjd was struggling. And the SEC has plenty of physicality.  

People just like to complain about officiating. 

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

You had people in the game thread saying the Big Ten calls it too soft and that’s why tjd was struggling. And the SEC has plenty of physicality.  

People just like to complain about officiating. 

I'm not sure what you are saying when you say the Big Ten calls it too 'soft'.  Pretty much everyone says the opposite -- too much is allowed.

The complaints here aren't about the officiating -- they are about the league's choice of the product they want.  And sorry, no, the SEC does NOT allow the same level of physicality.

The other leagues are every bit as physical as the bigten, the bigten is just slower/lacks athletes 

I’m sick of this lazy argument, there is zero substantive evidence to support this. It’s not like IU lost because they fouled out today nor any other bigten team 

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm not sure what you are saying when you say the Big Ten calls it too 'soft'.  Pretty much everyone says the opposite -- too much is allowed.

The complaints here aren't about the officiating -- they are about the league's choice of the product they want.  And sorry, no, the SEC does NOT allow the same level of physicality.

Not sure any of this jives with reality. Did IU get into foul trouble? Who was whining all game about not getting the whistle?

No, IU did not get into foul trouble and we’re looking for the refs to bail them out over and over while Miami just played.

state facts. This is lazy af 

I made a post early in the conference season (?) while watching the Big 1.o on one screen and the SEC (?) on another and thinking I was watching two completely different sports.

Why does the Big 1.o have decent to good levels of success in the noncon schedule? Continuity of teams is better in the Big 1.o than other conferences that results in being better earlier in the season. That is more than made up for later in the season when talent begins to jell and teams begin to form. Arkansas is a perfect example of that this season. They've gotten a little healthier but their talent has started to mature and play together.

In the 2023 NCAA Tournament where the bigten has a losing record, playing from behind where they are more prone to fouls at the end of the games….

the opposition out fouled our bully ball/football style 

218 - 179

this notion that the bigten breeds a bully ball, no fouls, bang and hack players game is wack. It doesn’t translate to reality and that reality is that when the bigten plays other leagues, the other leagues are more physical, more aggressive, more foul prone than our bigten teams

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

The other leagues are every bit as physical as the bigten, the bigten is just slower/lacks athletes 

I’m sick of this lazy argument, there is zero substantive evidence to support this. It’s not like IU lost because they fouled out today nor any other bigten team 

I just don't know how anyone can believe this. Not trying to post this to be rude or snarky, it's just completely against what we see in the B1G vs what is permitted by officials, by and large, across the NCAA. The B1G is known, for the reason that it's patently obvious, as a conference that allows rough play. And the B1G, again by and large, generally loses in March because teams like PU can't play like that in March. Officiating in the B1G should be addressed, it would help conference.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I just don't know how anyone can believe this. Not trying to post this to be rude or snarky, it's just completely against what we see in the B1G vs what is permitted by officials, by and large, across the NCAA. The B1G is known, for the reason that it's patently obvious, as a conference that allows rough play. And the B1G, again by and large, generally loses in March because teams like PU can't play like that in March. Officiating in the B1G should be addressed, it would help conference.

Our entire league played 13 games and only had 3 players foul out and only a few more that even had 4 fouls and the other leagues we played against out fouled the bigten 17-14 avg per game.

our players are not aggressive/active enough

all that other stuff is just stuff the other leagues use to negative recruit with and our own fans run with it.