Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Izzo has had two different openings on his staff and hasn't bothered hiring him. That is telling. Some of his best friends are head coaches and they haven't hired him. Mike Woodson could be fired tomorrow and the new coach wouldn't hire him. The IU administration is not going to bring him back unless there is a new AD, Associates AD's, president, and trustees. So he should stick with business or TV

That assumes he’s actively looking.  The family life of a coach generally sucks as you basically change jobs every few years as you work your way up.  Who knows.  

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

IU has some of the smartest basketball fans in CBB. But we also have some of the dumbest fans in CBB. I'm including myself in this category. People have not been in the game for several years and IU fans are like we should bring them back. Or whoever wins the National Championship we should hire them to be the next coach. All P5 jobs are close to the same. They all pay well, and most of them have families. It's tough to pick up and move your family across the country. The CBB coaches are a fraternity and they all know each other. I include myself because Brad Stevens hasn't coached a game in like 5 years and I'm like call him and see if he wants to coach IU. He's turned us down like 3 times but I'm like call him again. MY RANT FOR TODAY

I keep telling you guys Stevens no longer coaches.  And that Donavan guy people like to talk about, well he’s killing it with the Bulls.  Not.  

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

IU has some of the smartest basketball fans in CBB. But we also have some of the dumbest fans in CBB. I'm including myself in this category. People have not been in the game for several years and IU fans are like we should bring them back. Or whoever wins the National Championship we should hire them to be the next coach. All P5 jobs are close to the same. They all pay well, and most of them have families. It's tough to pick up and move your family across the country. The CBB coaches are a fraternity and they all know each other. I include myself because Brad Stevens hasn't coached a game in like 5 years and I'm like call him and see if he wants to coach IU. He's turned us down like 3 times but I'm like call him again. MY RANT FOR TODAY

“Okay, hand me his number, and I'll give him a ring”,  declared a self-proclaimed member of the 'Dumbest Fans Club' 

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Brad is definitely our white whale for sure.  From what I've heard the Mrs. has always been the big obstacle in getting him to Bloomington.  They have 2 kids but as we know kids take less work as they get older and maybe they're at the point where she no longer needs Brad at home all the time.  Stranger things have happened.  Let's go for it!

giphy (6).gif

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

Brad is definitely our white whale for sure.  From what I've heard the Mrs. has always been the big obstacle in getting him to Bloomington.  They have 2 kids but as we know kids take less work as they get older and maybe they're at the point where she no longer needs Brad at home all the time.  Stranger things have happened.  Let's go for it!

giphy (6).gif

I agree with all of that. Rumor was they took a family vote last time and it was 3-1 with Brad the only one voting to come back to Indiana. His daughter should be close to high school age so maybe the time is right. With the Pacers overtaking the Eastern conference maybe he knows it's time to get away from Boston :-)

50 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I include myself because Brad Stevens hasn't coached a game in like 5 years and I'm like call him and see if he wants to coach IU. He's turned us down like 3 times but I'm like call him again. MY RANT FOR TODAY

Yup, I'm like you...we still have to call him. We have money...throw even more at him.

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with all of that. Rumor was they took a family vote last time and it was 3-1 with Brad the only one voting to come back to Indiana. His daughter should be close to high school age so maybe the time is right. With the Pacers overtaking the Eastern conference maybe he knows it's time to get away from Boston :-)

I mean I could see him waiting for an opening in Indiana for sure...

When Kevin Pritchard is ready to retire.

38 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We're still talking about Brad Stevens? I get he's the dream candidate but come on. At this point we'd have to dump Scrooge McDuck's vault on his porch to get him and that may not be enough.

I'm still not sure what the huge draw to Stevens even is anymore? He hasn't coached collegiately in over a decade and has now been out of coaching 3 years altogether. He's always hinted that he's never been a huge fan of recruiting and I'm just not sure that would fly around here. Clearly he hasn't forgotten the game, but he's also not the young wonder boy he once was 15 years ago.

• The next wonder boy candidate: Arch... I mean, Dusty May 
  • The recruit the state of Indiana candidate: Shrewsburry 
  • The boring hire: Porter Moser
  • The Tom Crean/steal from Marquette candidate: Shaka Smart 
  • The win now if we can look past previous sanctions candidate: Bruce Peal (too bad the Sampson bridge is already burnt)   
  • The pipe dream candidate: Brad Stevens 

I thought it would be a funny exercise to put some superlatives against the main names mentioned in this thread. Obviously a few that I did not include. Dusty May seems like the most likely of these options right now, but I'm not 100% sold yet. If anything, this goofy thought experiment makes me really want to see how things play out this season and hope we can work on a timeline for after next year, when we've had more time to evaluate candidates/see if any clear leaders emerge, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:
  • The next wonder boy candidate: Arch... I mean, Dusty May 
  • The recruit the state of Indiana candidate: Shrewsburry 
  • The boring hire: Porter Moser
  • The Tom Crean/steal from Marquette candidate: Shaka Smart 
  • The win now if we can look past previous sanctions candidate: Bruce Peal (too bad the Sampson bridge is already burnt)   
  • The pipe dream candidate: Brad Stevens 

I thought it would be a funny exercise to put some superlatives against the main names mentioned in this thread. Obviously a few that I did not include. Dusty May seems like the most likely of these options right now, but I'm not 100% sold yet. If anything, this goofy thought experiment makes me really want to see how things play out this season and hope we can work on a timeline for after next year, when we've had more time to evaluate candidates/see if any clear leaders emerge, etc. 

I have always liked Shaka but I don't see him going back to a big school but that's just me guessing. 

I love the Bruce Pearl stuff. Let's go from one 60 year old to another

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have always liked Shaka but I don't see him going back to a big school but that's just me guessing. 

Marquette probably spends more money of their basketball program then IU does.   Shaka isn’t going anywhere. He is from Wisconsin.   

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Bruce Pearl is 63 going on 43. He's about as personable as it gets and is always engaged with the fans and the media. I dated a gal in college whose brother played for Pearl and USI and got to see them a lot. Hasn't changed one bit. 

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

As long as the 60 year old spent his whole life coaching college basketball and is a grinder then sign me up.   Not all 60 year old coaches are created equal.  

18 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Bruce Pearl is 63 going on 43. He's about as personable as it gets and is always engaged with the fans and the media. I dated a gal in college whose brother played for Pearl and USI and got to see them a lot. Hasn't changed one bit. 

I went to his camps at USI a few times as a kid.  It was always great and everyone loved him.  Knows basketball like Bill Clinton knows women.  Would kill it here.