Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Don't want to get into a debate here, I respect your right to your opinion. Generationaly, we see things differently. That's fine with me. We all want a nationally relevant IU basketball team. We just sometimes disagree about how we get there.

I just don’t think it’s possible to build a nationally relevant program without being willing to get dirty. To the extent it is possible, you need an absolutely elite coach. We haven’t been willing to pony up for one of those either. So, we’re doubly behind the 8 ball. 

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Hiring Adams is within the rules… fyi, Woodson wanted to do that

I would have no problem with that if he had coaching value beyond this one recruit. I would rather get kids on merit versus hiring their coach or handler.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I just don’t think it’s possible to build a nationally relevant program without being willing to get dirty. To the extent it is possible, you need an absolutely elite coach. We haven’t been willing to pony up for one of those either. So, we’re doubly behind the 8 ball. 

A lot of truth, like it or not, with what you just said.... and, for the record, I don't like it. But, then I am an old guy just trying to keep up.

WTH is dirty anymore? Honestly? Hiring friends and family. Giving cars and homes. All the best schools do all of the above. Duke is the masters of this. Some coaches contributed salary to players. Getting people jobs that require minimal to no work, etc…. NIL just let’s people do it in a way the FBI doesn’t get involved because of rogue agents.

People have no clue what it takes to win. And what some schools have been doing. NIL brings it above board, kinda, but Indiana still isn’t motivated or creative enough to get the job done. (Or-should I say we will know by 2024 recruiting class if Woodson has learned because I think 2023 opened his eyes wide open)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

WTH is dirty anymore? Honestly? Hiring friends and family. Giving cars and homes. All the best schools do all of the above. Duke is the masters of this. Some coaches contributed salary to players. Getting people jobs that require minimal to no work, etc…. NIL just let’s people do it in a way the FBI doesn’t get involved because of rogue agents.

People have no clue what it takes to win. And what some schools have been doing. NIL brings it above board, kinda, but Indiana still isn’t motivated or creative enough to get the job done. (Or-should I say we will know by 2024 recruiting class if Woodson has learned because I think 2023 opened his eyes wide open)

Oh yeah, I don’t even really think that ‘dirty’ is a thing anymore with NIL. Schools are just straight up paying players to come to their schools now. It’s out in the open. They do it through other people since the schools can’t technically do it, but it’s obvious what’s going on. USC paid Jordan Addison $3.5 million to transfer. Nijel Pack got $800k from Miami. IU isn’t ready to compete with that. IU made a big deal at the beginning about how we were at the ‘forefront’ of NIL, but it’s obvious now that we aren’t anywhere close to it. 

Oh yeah, I don’t even really think that ‘dirty’ is a thing anymore with NIL. Schools are just straight up paying players to come to their schools now. It’s out in the open. They do it through other people since the schools can’t technically do it, but it’s obvious what’s going on. USC paid Jordan Addison $3.5 million to transfer. Nijel Pack got $800k from Miami. IU isn’t ready to compete with that. IU made a big deal at the beginning about how we were at the ‘forefront’ of NIL, but it’s obvious now that we aren’t anywhere close to it. 

Oscar Tscheibwe will make 2+million. Gary Parrish says he knows a school who is trying to offer 1 million minimum per scholarship position (I’d like to see their financials).

Proof is in pudding. Watch recruiting close enough, you always know where the Strong @$$ Offers are coming from.

2 hours ago, rayl456 said:

So, this kid is the second coming of who?  Kareem?  Bill Russell?  The Greek Freak?    SMH

My point being...this is a high school kid who is still learning the game.  Yes, he is athletic.  Yes, he has potential.  But let's not get all outraged that it looks like he might go to UC.  He ain't the next LeBron.  That title goes to the 7'4" 18 yr old French kid...Victor Wembanyama.  

My point being...this is a high school kid who is still learning the game.  Yes, he is athletic.  Yes, he has potential.  But let's not get all outraged that it looks like he might go to UC.  He ain't the next LeBron.  That title goes to the 7'4" 18 yr old French kid...Victor Wembanyama.  

He Ain’t Wembanyama but he’s fantastic. And still “young”.

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Or Indiana could have been like Houston and win a lot of basketball games and we would have had 20 years of kick @$$ basketball success.

Instead we got what we got being virtuous while we’ve had drug problems under every single coach at Indiana including Woodson. SMH…….

I  not interested in winning at any cost attitude that seems to infected some of our fan base. For me it wasn't just he broke rules but brought in kids that should have never been at IU.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I  not interested in winning at any cost attitude that seems to infected some of our fan base. For me it wasn't just he broke rules but brought in kids that should have never been at IU.

Yeah, I don't think I have nearly the problem with the texts, especially since that rule was rescinded a couple years later. My problem was more with the culture he brought in with him. There's no denying he's a really good coach, but I think most IU fans want more than that. Maybe that limits us unless we get a brilliant coach, but there's a difference between earning and buying a championship in my eyes.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Completely clean programs that consistently win big are virtually nonexistent in college basketball. To think otherwise is to ignore reality. You either acknowledge that and jump on board, or you lose. 

Kelvin Sampson recognized that. No “it takes 4 years to build a program” nonsense for him. He got it done immediately. He went 21-11 his first season here, finished 10-6 in the conference (third place) and made the round of 32. His second season he had the team 22-4, 11-2 in conference play, and #15 in the country until IU clutched its pearls and canned him. IU dropped a self-imposed nuclear bomb on its program over some drugs and phone calls. The program still hasn’t recovered, and players still do drugs.

Tom Crean recognized that. Do you think the Thomas Bryant and Noah Vonleh recruitments were above board? Crean was just too weird of a dude to consistently get it done in recruiting, and he had to fight an unsupportive administration.

I feel confident in saying that IU will never become an elite program again until it’s ready to behave like one. Hiring a kid’s handler to get him to come to your school is something that’s actually within the rules, but a contingent of the fanbase would still have a total meltdown if IU were to do such a thing. 

57 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Yeah, I don't think I have nearly the problem with the texts, especially since that rule was rescinded a couple years later. My problem was more with the culture he brought in with him. There's no denying he's a really good coach, but I think most IU fans want more than that. Maybe that limits us unless we get a brilliant coach, but there's a difference between earning and buying a championship in my eyes.

Then you help clean up that stuff, instead of a essentially a self imposed death sentence.  The administration should work with the program, not against it.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Completely clean programs that consistently win big are virtually nonexistent in college basketball. To think otherwise is to ignore reality. You either acknowledge that and jump on board, or you lose. 

Kelvin Sampson recognized that. No “it takes 4 years to build a program” nonsense for him. He got it done immediately. He went 21-11 his first season here, finished 10-6 in the conference (third place) and made the round of 32. His second season he had the team 22-4, 11-2 in conference play, and #15 in the country until IU clutched its pearls and canned him. IU dropped a self-imposed nuclear bomb on its program over some drugs and phone calls. The program still hasn’t recovered, and players still do drugs.

Tom Crean recognized that. Do you think the Thomas Bryant and Noah Vonleh recruitments were above board? Crean was just too weird of a dude to consistently get it done in recruiting, and he had to fight an unsupportive administration.

I feel confident in saying that IU will never become an elite program again until it’s ready to behave like one. Hiring a kid’s handler to get him to come to your school is something that’s actually within the rules, but a contingent of the fanbase would still have a total meltdown if IU were to do such a thing. 

We just have two different perspectives on what we want out of our favorite college teM, which is fine

36 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why would you want to hire a guy to get one year out of a player who we have no idea how good he really is.

In his time at IU Sampson made Izzo, Cal and Self look very clean.  He made Williams and Coach K look like saints.  He openly violated rules (regardless of how silly those rules were in retrospect) and looked the other way as rampant rumors of hard drug use, and even dealing, clouded the program. Not to mention the horrendous team academic results that became clear when the dust settled.  

IU went overboard in punishing itself afterwards. True.  But Sampson wasn't behaving like the coaches noted above, who cover their tracks.  IU would have been the poster child for cheating if they had not fired him.  

Playing that game is one thing.  Playing that game out in the open and daring somebody to stop you is a whole different story.

18 minutes ago, triple said:

In his time at IU Sampson made Izzo, Cal and Self look very clean.  He made Williams and Coach K look like saints.  He openly violated rules (regardless of how silly those rules were in retrospect) and looked the other way as rampant rumors of hard drug use, and even dealing, clouded the program. Not to mention the horrendous team academic results that became clear when the dust settled.  

IU went overboard in punishing itself afterwards. True.  But Sampson wasn't behaving like the coaches noted above, who cover their tracks.  IU would have been the poster child for cheating if they had not fired him.  

Playing that game is one thing.  Playing that game out in the open and daring somebody to stop you is a whole different story.

This is the most fair take. 

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would you want to hire a guy to get one year out of a player who we have no idea how good he really is.

Why does anyone do it? He’s a 5 star recruit, ranked #4 in the 2024 class. Schools have done more than hire a guy as an assistant to get a player of that caliber. And Drew Adams is a legitimate assistant coach. His dad runs Indiana Elite. It’s not like Cincinnati hired some rando off the street to join their bench. 

42 minutes ago, triple said:

In his time at IU Sampson made Izzo, Cal and Self look very clean.  He made Williams and Coach K look like saints. 

This really just isn’t true at all. Sampson wasn’t doing anything that those guys don’t do. Hell, Tom Izzo covers up his players’ sexual assaults. 

47 minutes ago, triple said:

If DD wasn't joking he said a couple of players were pimps

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why does anyone do it? He’s a 5 star recruit, ranked #4 in the 2024 class. Schools have done more than hire a guy as an assistant to get a player of that caliber. And Drew Adams is a legitimate assistant coach. His dad runs Indiana Elite. It’s not like Cincinnati hired some rando off the street to join their bench. 

His dad was the reason Perrea and Jurkin was suspended 9 games at IU.  If this kid turns out to be more like Perrea it wouldn't be worth it.