Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PG Boogie Fland to Kentucky

5 hours ago, Hornsby said:

This strategy may work for elite programs but we currently are not elite. Now we scramble in the spring to fill a roster. Imo that is not a recipe for building long term success. They may need to rethink their recruiting strategy

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Yep, it works well when they can go to top 50ish players, swoop in, and land them after a short recruitment. See: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky. Recent example: Passmore to Kansas when McNeeley started to seem unlikely. IU doesn't have that clout yet.

That said, the transfer portal and coaching carousel means there will good players available in the spring or summer. Woodson and staff have done well in this regard.

Highly ranked transfers or decommits landed:

• Ware - great pickup with lots of questions but potential high reward. Would be huge if the staff can get him back to a lottery pick.
  • Mgbako - expected to be one and done
  • Reneau - so-so freshman year. High expectations for this year.
  • Bates - didn't work out but was highly ranked in HS

Bonus: JHS even though it wasn't spring or summer, he was a highly ranked decommit that IU landed

Other transfers:

• Johnson - Very good pickup. Started the whole time.
  • Kopp - Good pickup. Was a starter whole time, played solid but not spectacular.
  • Sparks - TBD
  • Walker - TBD but likely a decent role player as he was in Miami. He did have one really good year there.
  • Durr - ok role player, played to expectations. 

Stewart was a Miller recruitment.

I think a lot is dependent on how IU does this season. If the team does well with Ware and Mgbako being first round picks, IU could clean up in the spring. Throw in a decent tournament run (S16) and that becomes even easier. Of course, if the team flops this year that makes it harder.

It kind of sucks having to depend on this but having that potential makes going hard after these 3 5* recruits make sense.

In the hypothetical scenario of Boogie de committing from UK... anyone actually suggesting we turn him away - having never actually even enrolled there or played a single game for UK - because he at first thought one of our rivals would be a better fit... is an unserious person IMO.

There's very little room for petty grievances when you're trying to win a championship. "Pride" can be a double edged sword if there's too much or too little.

Bottom line: If you've got someone who can help you get there, and they want to come, you sign him up. Every single time. Not even a question IMHO

1 minute ago, TeeterInNJ said:

In the hypothetical scenario of Boogie de committing from UK... anyone actually suggesting we turn him away - having never actually even enrolled there or played a single game for UK - because he at first thought one of our rivals would be a better fit... is an unserious person IMO.

There's very little room for petty grievances when you're trying to win a championship. "Pride" can be a double edged sword if there's too much or too little.

Bottom line: If you've got someone who can help you get there, and they want to come, you sign him up. Every single time. Not even a question IMHO

I assume you’re doubling down on my comment? The post I responded to pretty clearly stated keeping tabs on him down the road in case he enters the portal which would obviously indicate he enrolled at UK.

Boogie will be committing to UK here in a few hours and signing his letter of intent in a few short weeks. Wish him well but after that couldn’t care less what happens. He chose to be a Wildcat.

Cool man. I am out again then. No worries. Don’t have time in my life for people like you. Interesting how some rules apply to some posters but not others.  Guess you can directly attack people. 
anyway 
I only posted here again because I was excited about a recruit, had some info, combined with some logic, etc and thought it would be interesting to many. I then got like 50 likes, well written comments, etc. it was just good info. You could always choose to ignore it. Just like Brass can with his disdain for social media follows. FYI… some people like and appreciate that insight but I can only post what you agree with. 
Funny thing is it is apparent you read my posts with a slant and don’t read what I actually type. I never, not one time said this was 100% lock, chastised (maybe Rabby and HH but guess others can but not me) never said my info was rock solid or anything. In fact, I carefully worded it to ensure it would not be portrayed like that from the likes of you in case my info and logic was off.. I said, it was based on logic with a little insight added in. Still honestly makes zero sense to me on why this changed. 
I do think it is a joke guys who have a job doing this for sure fully based their changes on Trilly.  inflate the pic % etc. guess I should do that. Can I put in for a do over like them? I can change my Ledlum and Fland pick. I am now 100%. Not sure why you are so upset. My pick percent is perfect. 
This is not my job man. I am a fan giving info I hear.  My change in tune was prior to Trilly and again, happy to share the screenshots at my trial. I didn’t run to here with the info, maybe I should have but wanted to wait for more before sending the board into a rage. 
I also didn’t immediately come here and try to defend anything until you immediately went at me. Brass asking if we can be done with social media tracking. 
funniest part is you bringing up Fland, MM and Ledlum. First, I was dead on with MM when nobody was and it was sound logic and insight. On top of that, had the big leak the day of.  Fland and Ledlum, people can think what they want but both of these now are ones that were locks (even for the entire staff, agencies, Trilly, etc) but I am the a-hole because I posted some different insight and logic while not ever saying it was a lock like I did with MM. 
I look at all of these boards, Twitter etc as info sharing. Speculating. Using logic to figure out if we are going to get the next big guy. All those that get pissed when the info doesn’t pan out is little crazy to me. Like… why are you here then? Just wait until the announcement and the season begins. Why are you and Brass the info police? Why do you even care if I am some drunken fool posting how we will land Flagg tomorrow? It is a freaking message board. Just ignore my posts. But no, you got to come at me and then somehow twist it that I am running here to defend myself. 
But again, stayed away for long time and have no issue doing it again. Not worth the headache. Not being a martyr. Just wanted to defend myself and will dip out. 
one last thing I will say on this. I still feel strongly the Cuban follow was big. In fact, if by sone chance Cuban doesn’t unfollow him tomorrow, then maybe there is a still a chance and one last Hail Mary. I bet you he does pretty quickly. So that again proved it was something but something happened.  My GUESS based on LOGIC and nothing else is what I said prior. Boogie used our offer to get a UK match because that was his preference. Seen it in sales for years and it sucks. Customer tells you that you won the bid, they are going with you etc. send me the quote. Put all this effort into a customer and they take it somewhere else for 2% more. 
I can't love this enough

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I assume you’re doubling down on my comment? The post I responded to pretty clearly stated keeping tabs on him down the road in case he enters the portal which would obviously indicate he enrolled at UK.

Boogie will be committing to UK here in a few hours and signing his letter of intent in a few short weeks. Wish him well but after that couldn’t care less what happens. He chose to be a Wildcat.

You're missing the bigger point. Let's not nitpick semantics within a totally hypothetical scenario. 

Hope he surprises us today. If not, and he changes his mind later, count me in the camp of "welcome him with open arms" 

First exhibition less than two weeks away. Let's go HOOOOOOSIERS

Just now, TeeterInNJ said:

You're missing the bigger point. Let's not nitpick semantics within a totally hypothetical scenario. 

Hope he surprises us today. If not, and he changes his mind later, count me in the camp of "welcome him with open arms" 

First exhibition less than two weeks away. Let's go HOOOOOOSIERS

Yeah I guess in a scenario where he commits to UK today and in less than two weeks de-commits before signing day…then sure.

It ain’t happenin.

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Yeah I guess in a scenario where he commits to UK today and in less than two weeks de-commits before signing day…then sure.

It ain’t happenin.

Uhhh... you know recruits can get out of those letters they sign right? Like... pretty easily. He's not playing this season. Many people speculate Cal and UK could part ways after this season. Coach doesn't even have to leave - see: Mack Mgbako. Looked like that was never gonna happen for the longest time... right up until it did.

4 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Uhhh... you know recruits can get out of those letters they sign right? Like... pretty easily. He's not playing this season. Many people speculate Cal and UK could part ways after this season. Coach doesn't even have to leave - see: Mack Mgbako. Looked like that was never gonna happen for the longest time... right up until it did.

If you want to hold out on Boogie Fland not enrolling at UK, knock yourself out. I’ll tell you what I tell my son:

”S*** in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first”

Edited by IndyResident16

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

If you want to hold out on Boogie Fland not enrolling at UK, knock yourself. I’ll tell you what I tell my son:

”S*** in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first”

Not saying to hold out hope man. Saying you don't turn your nose up and walk away from the #1 overall PG in the class coz he initially wanted to go elsewhere.

Think we've run our course on this conversation lol. 

Just now, TeeterInNJ said:

Not saying to hold out hope man. Saying you don't turn your nose up and walk away from the #1 overall PG in the class coz he initially wanted to go elsewhere.

Think we've run our course on this conversation lol. 

Yep.

Just like Boogie in a few hours, it’s dead to me.

This recruitment and timing absolutely rained on the Hoosier Hysteria parade.  BUT we’ve got a talented team this year.  We might as well move on and enjoy the event. The staff has all the pressure of building a top 10 type team.  I know this blindsided them.  But as good as Boogie is, he wasn’t going to single handedly push us over the top.  We’ve got work to do. We need to have a good season this season and that is no guarentee.  #PortalSzn. 

Cal beating Cuban is straight mafia work.  The Don might be down but he’s never out.  Plus Drake still loves him. Lol. 

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Geez -- just a few days ago, I'm reading that Boogie is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered. Will be wearing candy stripes next fall. 

Then last night, I see an entirely different story ... 

Guess I picked the wrong week to stop drinking. 

giphy.gif

That's why you always have to have the premature celebratory drinks flowing, man. That way when life sneaks up and gives you a memorable cup check, you're already numb. 

Even though we got more 5 stars to visit this seems to mirror prior coaches results.  1 highly ranked kid a year. Still good but not a home run by any means. 

if I had to choose between the three targets Liam fits the need the most as we have not had a shooter in a long time.  We have some depth at the other positions. 

now it is time to take a step forward with post season performance. 

Even though we got more 5 stars to visit this seems to mirror prior coaches results.  1 highly ranked kid a year. Still good but not a home run by any means. 

if I had to choose between the three targets Liam fits the need the most as we have not had a shooter in a long time.  We have some depth at the other positions. 

now it is time to take a step forward with post season performance. 
Still a little disappointing this was the first class the staff had two years to recruit and we had a bunch of open spots.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk