Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Thad Matta to Butler

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Agree.  I also expect that Butler knows that Matta likely isn't up to the expectations of the rigors of being on the road recruiting a lot and will expect that to come mainly from his assistants.  

Yea probably so. If the kids they get will actually buy in and listen to him, they'll win. Dude didn't have a season under 20 wins until his last season at Ohio State. 

4 hours ago, hoosierdogg said:

Barry Collier is 67.  Could this be a succession plan for the Butler AD position?  Matta in place for a short term to hopefully restore success on the court before hiring a longer term solution.

Collier is on the NCAA tournament committee for two more years, then will retire. Matta will takeover for him and someone from his staff will be head coach is the rumor around the Butler program. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Seems kinda strange ... 

What was that whole flap about "failing a physical" to possibly coach at IU last year? Was that even real? Or did he decide he wasn't ready for the rigors of B1G seasons and recruiting, etc. 

Or did Dolson just have his sights set on Woody?

Because given my choice between Woody and a healthy Matta, I'd take Matta six days a week and seven times on Sunday. No offense, Mike! 

When Thad was at the top of his game in Columbus, he was very, very good. 

Collier isn’t requiring Matta his neighbor to have a physical for the job. Their best friends.

43 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Sean Miller returns to Xavier ... 

Thad Matta goes back to Butler ...  

You know it's coming ... 

Crean goofy.jpeg

That is exactly what some of these people on here deserve!!!! This crap and attitude of IU's program being above and beyond Butler is ridiculous, and I am a fan of both schools. The overall history might be, but that is it!! Currently, they are on equal ground, but they KNOW HOW to fix a mistake when they make one.

That is exactly what some of these people on here deserve!!!! This crap and attitude of IU's program being above and beyond Butler is ridiculous, and I am a fan of both schools. The overall history might be, but that is it!! Currently, they are on equal ground, but they KNOW HOW to fix a mistake when they make one.

Hmm. Interesting. In basketball terms Indiana’s basketball program is above Butler’s by every metric I can think of to compare them. Money, recruiting, history, expectations, national recognition, etc, etc. Butler is solid. Indiana is/was a blue blood program.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Sean Miller returns to Xavier ... 
Thad Matta goes back to Butler ...  
You know it's coming ... 

690957600_Creangoofy.jpeg.25d7485b5d758151108056179bcafb55.jpeg

Hopefully Ya and the guys can expand and elevate our national recruiting because local recruiting has gotten a lot tougher. Purdue seen as a powerhouse recently. Sean Miller at X, Matta at Butler, Notre Dame gets their guys, Louisville moving past it’s mess and got a recruiter. Let’s see.

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hmm. Interesting. In basketball terms Indiana’s basketball program is above Butler’s by every metric I can think of to compare them. Money, recruiting, history, expectations, national recognition, etc, etc. Butler is solid. Indiana is/was a blue blood program.

Didn't I mention overall history???? Isn't what matters to these high school kids is recent history? Yes, IU has more money, supposed better recruits, higher expectations (unrealistic for current crappy program).Which school has easily won at every metric in the last 15 years?? Not only is that very clear, you can say it has also been done with less (recruits, money and coaching). Where do Butler's former coaches go....Celtics President and Ohio State??? IU's- UAB-fired, Texas Southern something or other, Georgia- fired, and Rhode Island-soon to be fired?? 9-6 in tournament appearances with a HUGE disparity in results. Hmmmmmm all that is real interesting going forward with what these kids are looking for today. Matta and Big East will be a combination that Butler has not had yet with probably a major upgrade in recruiting. Their conference has teams that also get past the Sweet 16 occasionally, not get pounded in conference play, then not make tournament, and then see your conference get pounded in the first 2 rounds.

3 minutes ago, connchr71 said:

Didn't I mention overall history???? Isn't what matters to these high school kids is recent history? Yes, IU has more money, supposed better recruits, higher expectations (unrealistic for current crappy program).Which school has easily won at every metric in the last 15 years?? Not only is that very clear, you can say it has also been done with less (recruits, money and coaching). Where do Butler's former coaches go....Celtics President and Ohio State??? IU's- UAB-fired, Texas Southern something or other, Georgia- fired, and Rhode Island-soon to be fired?? 9-6 in tournament appearances with a HUGE disparity in results. Hmmmmmm all that is real interesting going forward with what these kids are looking for today. Matta and Big East will be a combination that Butler has not had yet with probably a major upgrade in recruiting. Their conference has teams that also get past the Sweet 16 occasionally, not get pounded in conference play, then not make tournament, and then see your conference get pounded in the first 2 rounds.

Not sure this post makes any sense. Butler is a storied program in its own right.  Indiana has tried hard to crash its program for 25 years and it’s still a program that’s considered on a different level in basketball  than Butler by everyone (recruits, students, media). 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Agree.  I also expect that Butler knows that Matta likely isn't up to the expectations of the rigors of being on the road recruiting a lot and will expect that to come mainly from his assistants.  

This would be my best guess. 

IU recruits nationally, in part. Butler recruits regionally. Also, Butler got pushed into the Jordan hire and it set their program back. They’re used to going from one successful Butler guy to the next. Rebuilding a program is harder and they haven’t done it in a while. Thad will provide some short term stability. They’ll surround him with a lot of energetic assistants and he won’t leave the Indy area nearly as much as someone in his position normally would. 

It can both be true that he wasn’t physically up to the IU job and he is capable of performing the role Butler wants him to fill. 

4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Seems kinda strange ... 

What was that whole flap about "failing a physical" to possibly coach at IU last year? Was that even real? Or did he decide he wasn't ready for the rigors of B1G seasons and recruiting, etc. 

Or did Dolson just have his sights set on Woody?

Because given my choice between Woody and a healthy Matta, I'd take Matta six days a week and seven times on Sunday. No offense, Mike! 

When Thad was at the top of his game in Columbus, he was very, very good. 

No, the physical thing was never real. IU wanted TM to be HC. TM did not want to be HC at IU. His health is fine. He’s got a bad foot. That’s it. He doesn’t have to dunk to be a head coach. It’s blown way out of proportion. 

He wanted the Butler job. It’s as simple as that. 

don’t shoot the messenger. 

He turns us down and now is healthy enough for the Butler job. I sure hope this doesn’t mean he didn’t like Woodson and adds Fife as an assistant. Woodson may not be the answer. Only time will tell. 

9 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

He turns us down and now is healthy enough for the Butler job. I sure hope this doesn’t mean he didn’t like Woodson and adds Fife as an assistant. Woodson may not be the answer. Only time will tell. 

Why would you even say that lmao