Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Michael Lewis to Ball State

51 minutes ago, DWB said:

Happy for Michael that he got a HC gig. Just wish it was at a better place than BSU. I think Lewis is too talented for that school. I was hoping for a Xavier type school somewhere in the midwest.

But I hope he over achieves!

Someone has to make Ball State into the next Xavier. 

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

If he does it gives us another option next time we need one. I’m hoping we get 10 good years out of Woodson but regardless, good to have alumni out there doing well

This is my hope. I really don’t see getting Woody being coach for 10 years. It would be nice to see Lewis ready to take over when he retires.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, str8baller said:

Good for him. I always thought Ball St was a solid job. Decent and fun campus for a mid major. In central Indiana near FW and Indy, so you have a pretty natural recruiting ground. The right coach could build a competitive program there. 

Yes, I agree the right coach could build a competitive program.  Rick Majerus did just that in a very brief stay.

Whitford, despite winning 3 regular season MAC championships, could not win when it mattered down the stretch or in tournaments.  He should have been gone long before now. 

Ever since the whole Ronny Thompson debacle, the program has suffered mightily.

Tim Buckley was the last head coach to be over 500, but just barely. 

McCallum did alright (well over 500), but he benefitted greatly by having All-American Bonzi Wells for four years. 

Rick Majerus was great in a short stay, winning over 70% of his games while at BSU, but his successor had the best record in BSU's history. 

Hunsaker, Majerus' successor, won three MAC regular season championships and three MAC tournament championships while winning 75% of his games (97-34) and took BSU to a heartbreaking sweet sixteen defeat against an absolutely loaded UNLV team (Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony).  BY THE WAY, THAT WAS GOALTENDING.

At least part of his success can surely be credited to Majerus, including nabbing a couple transfers from Arkansas Little Rock (Paris McCurdy and Curtis Kidd) to add to a bunch of local talent before he left.  Hunsaker had the best record, but Majerus was responsible for building a competitive program at Ball State.  His assistant coach was fortunate to take over the reigns and be in the spotlight during one of the early Cinderella stories of March Madness.

I hope Lewis has success.  Ball State needs a coach consistently better than 500 again.  It's been awhile.

FYI, I took a look at BSU's schedule and several of their games are on ESPN+ & ESPN News. (Not part of my YT TV programming).

I plan on going to one of his games when I'm up there to take in an IU game this fall.

Hope you guys in Indy will go up and catch a couple of games to support him.

23 hours ago, DWB said:

FYI, I took a look at BSU's schedule and several of their games are on ESPN+ & ESPN News. (Not part of my YT TV programming).

I plan on going to one of his games when I'm up there to take in an IU game this fall.

Hope you guys in Indy will go up and catch a couple of games to support him.

I'll be seeing a lot of his games.  I'm looking forward to it!

Lewis has his work cut out for him. BSU with an unimpressive win over IU South Bend, 86-72. (was a 3 point game with 8 minutes left)

Right now, his team looks like a group of players who aren't used to being held accountable for their mistakes. He's had a very quick hook when it comes to pulling guys who screw up, and reportedly he was so angry after the ISU loss last week, he declined an interview after the game. 

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Lewis has his work cut out for him. BSU with an unimpressive win over IU South Bend, 86-72. (was a 3 point game with 8 minutes left)

Right now, his team looks like a group of players who aren't used to being held accountable for their mistakes. He's had a very quick hook when it comes to pulling guys who screw up, and reportedly he was so angry after the ISU loss last week, he declined an interview after the game. 

For reference:  IUSB was coming off of a 49 point loss to St. Xavier.