Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Are we going to Address the BIG TEN Elephant in the room?

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think the faster paced style that Dolson talked about in his presser post-Archie is hopefully the seeds of change for the B1G. Just a hunch that most kids today want to play a more up-tempo style, isolation, etc.. I am an old 50 year dude that still loves the motion offense, BIG centers posting down low, etc.. but that is not today's game. The B1G's crapfest this tournament made that clear that banging and bruising doesn't work outside the conference. RMK was an innovator for his time and brought IU many years of success. We need a new coach that is an innovator once again for this era.

for the Glory of Old IU...

There are a lot of variables at play here, but referees and coaching are at the top of the list. In my opinion, this also feeds recruiting where the type of players attracted to the B10 thrive in a slower, muck-it-up style of play that doesn't translate when the competition is more athletic and runs a more free-flowing offense in the tournament. I'm also not a fan of the 20 game league schedule. I think it grinds teams down and limits the number of opportunities teams get to expose themselves to other conferences and playing styles.

31 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

There are a lot of variables at play here, but referees and coaching are at the top of the list. In my opinion, this also feeds recruiting where the type of players attracted to the B10 thrive in a slower, muck-it-up style of play that doesn't translate when the competition is more athletic and runs a more free-flowing offense in the tournament. I'm also not a fan of the 20 game league schedule. I think it grinds teams down and limits the number of opportunities teams get to expose themselves to other conferences and playing styles.

Agree. 20 game league schedule is ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, FightFor6 said:

4 hours ago, HoosierKnight said:

Agree. 20 game league schedule is ridiculous. 

You have to play a schedule that allows you to determine who your league champion is... when you have a league of 14 teams, you are going to have a significant portion of your season (limited total number of games) in-league... or you put all of your onus on the B1G tournament and play what is essentially an "independent" schedule... I don't hate a 14 team conference, but it does cause some issues... however, as long as I can remember, the B1G played at least 18 league games. The 75 Hoosiers and the 76 Hoosiers went 18-0, and that was approaching 40 years ago...

More conference games means there is more pressure to recruit players that can win games in conference. Winning games in conference means playing to the limits of what the officials will allow. That means very physical and slow paced versus other conferences. 

It may get worse since the 20 game schedule is relatively new. OOC games go from 13 down to 11 so performing against conference opponents is even more important.

Recruits have already shown that many don't like the style of play in the B1G. It's not just IU that has had players go elsewhere because of pace, the league has had trouble recruiting large amounts of top talent for a while. 5* and high 4* players tend to go to ACC, SEC, Pac 12, etc.

So the problem is twofold: the B1G teams seem to have trouble adjusting to playing other styles after so long in conference and the overall talent level in the league isn't great. Both of those can probably be blamed on how the league games are played and a lot of that can be blamed on officiating.

20 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

however, as long as I can remember, the B1G played at least 18 league games.

In the late '90s through mid '00s the league had a 16 game schedule. I think it was ~10 seasons.

Very easily can cut the conference schedule to 19 games.... two divisions of 7, play each team your division twice (2 * 6) and each team in the other division once (7 games).  Seed by place in division for the BTT — I. E., 6E v 7W, 6W v 7E in play in;  3,4,5 places finishers single bye, 1 and 2 double byes.

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Very easily can cut the conference schedule to 19 games.... two divisions of 7, play each team your division twice (2 * 6) and each team in the other division once (7 games).  Seed by place in division for the BTT — I. E., 6E v 7W, 6W v 7E in play in;  3,4,5 places finishers single bye, 1 and 2 double byes.

Not a bad idea at all.  The B10 regular season "crown" really doesn't mean jack anymore since there's a tournament and the season schedule is unbalanced.

4 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

The B1G refs control the flow of the conference games, or lack thereof!  They call every tick tack fall, and when the tournament starts, the flow changes and the refs allow players to play.  B1G officiating sucks!

The Big 1.0 conference stipulates what they want from Big 1.0 officials during conference play, i.e. tackle basketball.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

The Big 1.0 conference stipulates what they want from Big 1.0 officials during conference play, i.e. tackle basketball.

The biggest gripe of mine is that they aren't consistent for 40 minutes!  You may have a good half, but you know it is going to change in the 2nd half.  Unacceptable!

This is what happens when the B1G front office allows Wisconsin and Michigan State to throw their weight around dictating how basketball can be played in conference.

There's a reason this conference only signs a few 5* players every year, and it isn't because all of our programs are clean.

No one wants to put on a basketball jersey to play football inside.

40 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

Beard is the most Big-Ten-style candidate out there, so a new direction would lean toward Drew or Oats.

You can lean all you want, but I've got a lead pipe and my meemaw's .38 special waiting for anyone that comes down here looking to steal Oats.

I'm  kidding. 

I have much bigger guns.

Edited by Teague

52 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

This is what happens when the B1G front office allows Wisconsin and Michigan State to throw their weight around dictating how basketball can be played in conference.

There's a reason this conference only signs a few 5* players every year, and it isn't because all of our programs are clean.

No one wants to put on a basketball jersey to play football inside.

I wouldnt and if my kid was good enough Id steer him away from this conference.

Refs are horrible. It is criminal that the BT, with all the tv money sloshing around, doesn’t have full time refs.

Style of play does not appeal to a lot of kids (UM might help change that).

ELITE players. I looked at the top 25 players, according to the RSCI, in 2017,2018,2019,2020. 4 years of top 25 kids = 100 recruits and the entire BT conference landed three of the 100 (Romeo was one of the three). Tennessee had 2 top 25 players just in 2020 and the entire BT only landed 3 in 4 years while the ACC landed 28.... That is really, really bad and says something. Style of play, the conference doesn’t cheat as much?  Something is off.

AK nailed it!  Wisconsin and MSU, and Iowa to a degree - carry way too much influence in setting the style of play. They can’t call them all hack-a-thons create crappy B-ball, call inconsistency and schizo players who have know idea what the rules are half to half, let alone game to game. Also, holding the Big tourney so late — Sunday 10 minutes before selections r announced - sends teams tired into their first games - when others have had a week+ off to refresh after their conference tourney games.