Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s an interesting point. I’d be very happy with this. He was there to “watch Ohio,” but was that the real reason? I thought Assembly Hall games had limited crowds.. Not that that would apply to Matta probably, but still. 

It could have zero connection whatsoever, just find it odd that Duncomb would tweet out #iubb randomly without a coach. And then the Matta/Woodson article and that he was in assembly. Idk but it makes sense 

This is a total toss up for me. He still has years left if healthy. He could go 15 years or less than b line. Can he still recruit? Can he still coach at a high level? I won't be disappointed but also won't be throwing a thad to iu party either

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

Were Matta's struggles in his last few years all health related? Is he going to be healthy to recruit in person full-time?

His pain was severe. It's hard to mentally and emotionally be your best when you physically hurt enough. As far as health specifics now only Matta truly knows. If he says he is ready that's the best you can know.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If he's the same guy, yes.  Has health and years away diminished that though?

We’re not going to know that. Only Matta knows. And dolsons job to vet. We wouldn’t even offer if both weren’t convinced 100%.  

So if he’s hired feel confident they both are convinced he’s healthy. speculation otherwise is pointless. 

Saw this about Matta. Much has been made about his downward trend in his last years at OSU. Obviously not a perfect comparison due to Covid canceling the tournament last year, but interesting nonetheless. 

Chris Holtmann first four years:
Record: 87–43
Post-season: Round of 64 - Round of 32 - Round of 32

Thad Matta last four years:
Record: 87-50
Postseason: Round of 64 - Round of 32 - Second round of NIT