Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

7 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I know that’s true.  That’s why I really like Beilein with a Fife/Lewis.  I don’t really remember the last time I saw Matta in college.  The last time I saw Beilein he was jumping around with his players in the locker room in the Final Four.  I just have more of a feeling that Beilein gets us knocking on the door to a Final Four in a couple years.  I don’t get that same feeling with Thad Matta.  I know the feelings of a 22 year old girl don’t matter much though lol.  That’s just where I’m at and I trust that Dolson will get it right.

I think Beilein would come in and be a top 2 or 3 coach in the entire conference. Like you said, it was only a few years ago that he was in the final four. I think IU would rarely be out coached with him. But having to make another hire 5-6 years from now concerns me.  Matta, at least in theory, could be a long-term option. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think Beilein would come in and be a top 2 or 3 coach in the entire conference. Like you said, it was only a few years ago that he was in the final four. I think IU would rarely be out coached with him. But having to make another hire 5-6 years from now concerns me. 

That concerns me too but not if it’s Michael Lewis or Dane Fife sitting beside him.  I put Beilein right there at the top with Izzo and I can’t stand Izzo lol.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Well you mentioned he didn’t quit for health issues so I was arguing your point. 

Nah, what i meant was that he did quit for health reasons.  So why did OSU buy him out for $9M?  I can't believe they wanted him gone.  

Those not interested in Matta...I question your thinking, unless your flat out worried about his health. If he’s healthy and your not interested, I don’t have much for you.

He’s won 73% of his games, been too 4 final fours I believe and a National Championship game. Several elite 8s and sweet sixteens.

Stole Oden and Conley from Indiana to Ohio state so he can recruit...

he’s a solid candidate 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Nah, what i meant was that he did quit for health reasons.  So why did OSU buy him out for $9M?  I can't believe they wanted him gone.  

Because he probably could have sat out for quite awhile for health reasons and still been under contract.  So they have an interim coach for a good deal of time wondering when he is going to get better, or they buy him out and move on.

2 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

Those not interested in Matta...I question your thinking, unless your flat out worried about his health. If he’s healthy and your not interested, I don’t have much for you.

He’s won 73% of his games, been too 4 final fours I believe and a National Championship game. Several elite 8s and sweet sixteens.

he’s a solid candidate 

I think the people not interested in Matta are going to wish we had hired him when we hire someone completely underwhelming. We could do much, much worse than him.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think the people not interested in Matta are going to wish we had hired him when we hire someone completely underwhelming. We could do much, much worse than him.

I hope not! As I've said, I kinda scoffed at Matta too- maybe because he's so ugly? (I'm half-kidding...) anyway, with my mantra of hire the best coach available, he has the credentials to be in that conversation. He is more accomplished than Drew or Beard and only a few years older. Plus, as has been mentioned, he knows Indiana, the B1G and the midwest. He doesn't merit $7mil, but if there are no other impressive rabbits in Dolson's hat, we could do a lot worst than Matta with a really well paid staff. 

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because he probably could have sat out for quite awhile for health reasons and still been under contract.  So they have an interim coach for a good deal of time wondering when he is going to get better, or they buy him out and move on.

Ahhh...so maybe he didn't want to quit, he just wanted time off to heal.  OSU wouldn't go for that so they bought him out.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.  I feel better about him with this theory

12 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

he’s a solid candidate 

I think that the naysayers for Matta (I'm on the fence) are worried about the health combined with the last 4 years of his OSU run compared to the first 8-9 years.

Matta has won 20 games every year but 1 (his last) over his entire career. His last 4 years he still won 25, 24, 21, 17 games respectively. Only his last year is of concern from a total number of wins. But you can see by his record his health was an issue. He absolutely left a solid roster for Holtmann. If he is back to being healthy, then this is a no brained for Dolson. Let’s go. 

16 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

he’s a solid candidate 

Well this was in 2006 when I was in middle school.. last time I checked it’s 2021. 

My biggest concern is not coaching for four years and no recruiting. Will be build a staff? It’s all about who you know and has he kept up with his coaching friends? Coaching is a perishable skill. It’s also important for a coach to adapt. Could he adapt? He wasn’t winning his final two years. 

How is he magically healthy? If you’re healthy and love coaching then you jump back in at some level. To my understanding , he hasn’t sniffed a coaching role in four years. He’s to big of name to not get back into it  until Indiana comes calling? 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Well this was in 2006 when I was in middle school.. last time I checked it’s 2021. 

My biggest concern is not coaching for four years and no recruiting. Will be build a staff? It’s all about who you know and has he kept up with his coaching friends? Coaching is a perishable skill. It’s also important for a coach to adapt. Could he adapt? He wasn’t winning his final two years. 

How is he magically healthy? If you’re healthy and love coaching then you jump back in at some level. To my understanding , he hasn’t sniffed a coaching role in four years. He’s to big of name to not get back into it  until Indiana comes calling? 

He's 'magically' healthy because he got a second back surgery to fix the botched first back surgery.

1 minute ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

He's 'magically' healthy because he got a second back surgery to fix the botched first back surgery.

He’s been healthy for four years now according to Matta. If he loved coaching and was healthy, he should’ve taken a job. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

He’s been healthy for four years now according to Matta. If he loved coaching and was healthy, he should’ve taken a job. 

My guess, looking for a job that "fits" and is close to home since his daughter goes to Butler and he has family here in Indiana.  Which job in last 3-4 years would fit that?  Georgia, no?  Wichita State, no?

Just now, NVFalcons1990 said:

My guess, looking for a job that "fits" and is close to home since his daughter goes to Butler and he has family here in Indiana.  Which job in last 3-4 years would fit that?  Georgia, no?  Wichita State, no?

I think we have a winner. When a guys had success at the level that Thad had he probably didn’t want to start coaching for just any job. 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

You’ve talked a lot about Matta’s success being years ago and him not being able to adapt. What do you think has changed in Big Ten basketball to the extent that Matta wouldn’t be able to adjust and succeed at IU?

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You’ve talked a lot about Matta’s success being years ago and him not being able to adapt. What do you think has changed in Big Ten basketball to the extent that Matta wouldn’t be able to adjust and succeed at IU?

Doesn’t Matta run the same system as Archie. Matta is a smart guy though. I’m sure he’s been watching the game the last four years and seen what it’s trended to and would adapt. At least I’d hope he does.

With the Stevens debacle, Beard waiting on the Texas opening, Musselman moves around every 1-3 years.  Take a look at Musselman years on Wikipedia, guy moves constantly. Beilein being too old, Bennett, Donovan and Jay Wright being unrealistic.

Give me Matta's credentials versus anybody's!!!  He's my new favorite if Stevens is an absolute no!!

13 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Or maybe he took some time off to do rehab and to enjoy life and recharge the batteries. Nothing wrong with taking some time off when you’ve earned it. He was probably healthy but reluctant to test his back until he trusted he was back to 100%. A lot of people are skittish for awhile after major surgery. 

If he is ready now, then let’s go. You asked if he will build a staff? Of course he will have a staff. Just because you were in middle school when he was in the final doesn’t mean that the high school and AAU coaches don’t know or have a relationship with him and those he will have as assistants. Especially the coaches in this state where he cleaned up. 

He would also have a roster of sophs and Juniors with talent that can be a top half conference team or even at the top with a coach of his caliber.