Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

1 minute ago, Hippopotamo said:

Those Grizzlies teams were pretty special. He can also mention the insane amounts of money Conley has earned in the NBA. 

If that doesn’t work, he can mention how he coached Greg Oden into the #1 pick. Or he can talk about coaching Evan Turner, D’Angelo Russell, or even Jared Sullinger. Matta isn’t my first choice at all but he’s not that far removed from coaching at an incredibly high level. 

Some kids may know those names. Great players at OSU, no question. He was pretty good at OSU for a while. But that was a long time ago..

Conley and Russell are the names kids know, but they probably don’t care for them.  Not that it should matter but a coach saying. “I coached Anthony Edwards, Zion Williamson, Devin Booker” brings more value to a pitch IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

“Ahhh the charity All-Star!, that’s cool coach but no one watches the Jazz”

Conley has been a starting point guard in the NBA for 14 years now. You need good guard play to succeed in college basketball. Pointing to the successful guards you’ve coached helps you keep getting good guard recruits. Honestly, was Brad Stevens the only coach you would’ve been happy with?

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I will whole-heartedly embrace Matta to IU IF he will arrange for me to punch Aaron Craft in the face. Put that in the contract and he can have whatever else he wants. $10mil a year, midget hookers, cocaine parties, you name it. I just want to pop AC a good one PLEASE! 

Back of the line bud...

Thursday Three For All - Danny Franks

I guess i see that every message board has that one poster who thinks they know more than anyone else on the board. The one who will argue with any point another poster makes even when it is obvious they don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Which one is ours?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Conley has been a starting point guard in the NBA for 14 years now. You need good guard play to succeed in college basketball. Pointing to the successful guards you’ve coached helps you keep getting good guard recruits. Honestly, was Brad Stevens the only coach you would’ve been happy with?

Dane Fife and Chris Beard would suffice for me.

Just now, IU Scott said:

The one that keeps arguing against Matta

No one knows if a coach is going to turn out well. I don’t like the chances for Matta at IU given his absence of coaching and recruiting for 4 years. It’s a message board. You laugh, you share your personal thoughts, you do whatever. I am not making my case for knowing everything. I am sharing my opinion on Matta. If you don’t like it, the don’t quote me or move on. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You would be okay with Fife but not Matta, Scott Drew, or Musselman? Cmon Treesh. There’s no consistency in these takes. 

I like potential. Beard has potential. Fife could have potential and he has Indiana double check plus. 

Mussleman reminds me too much of Tom Crean. And honestly, Arkansas isn’t letting him leave. 

We all know why Scott Drew doesn’t have 5 pages of discussion. 

32 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Building a staff comes from coaching circles and friends. It’s not an open invitation to anyone. I’m suggesting he may or may not have kept up with his coaching circles in his four years off. 

He is still connected in coaching. You don’t coach for as long as he has and lose everything in 4 years. He has relationships that go back to when you were in elementary school. Also IU brings its own cache of coaches who will want to be an assistant here. 

Just now, Feathery said:

He is still connected I. Coaching. You don’t coach for as long as he has and lose everything in 4 years. He has relationships that go back to when you were in elementary school. Also IU brings its own cache of coaches who will want to be an assistant here. 

Maybe he can build an Indiana staff. Maybe he wants his friends who may not have connections. I don’t know his circles. We don’t know his circles. We could assume he could bring Lewis or whoever but it’s all wishful thinking. 

8 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Some kids may know those names. Great players at OSU, no question. He was pretty good at OSU for a while. But that was a long time ago..

Conley and Russell are the names kids know, but they probably don’t care for them.  Not that it should matter but a coach saying. “I coached Anthony Edwards, Zion Williamson, Devin Booker” brings more value to a pitch IMO. 

We will have found a reason not to hire every person on these lists by the time this is over.

The perfect candidate does not exist.  You are not picking to the extreme here.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

We will have found a reason not to hire every person on these lists by the time this is over.

The perfect candidate does not exist.  You are not picking to the extreme here.

Without a doubt. The only hire that would unite the fan base was Brad Stevens. That doesn’t appear to be happening. 

You hire Matta there will be happy fans here and unhappy fans there. Goes for each candidate. Going to a final four will cure that. We’ve tasted the Sweet 16 several times and fans obviously want more at Indiana. 

Winning is nice, but get to the final four. 

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I like potential. Beard has potential. Fife could have potential and he has Indiana double check plus. 

Mussleman reminds me too much of Tom Crean. And honestly, Arkansas isn’t letting him leave. 

We all know why Scott Drew doesn’t have 5 pages of discussion. 

Why do you prefer potential over proven success? Matta has proven Big 10 success. He has 5 big ten conference championships in 13 seasons. You’re worried that he can’t replicate his success at IU because he hasn’t coached in four years, but you’re ok taking a chance on Fife because he has the potential to have success? He’s been a head coach at one school a decade ago, he won under 50% of his games there, and he hasn’t been a head coach since. Fife has the potential to succeed in the conference. Matta has already done it. 

Just now, Treesh said:

Maybe he can build an Indiana staff. Maybe he wants his friends who may not have connections. I don’t know his circles. We don’t know his circles. We could assume he could bring Lewis or whoever but it’s all wishful thinking. 

It’s not wishful thinking when Lewis has stated he hates seeing IU down. He played here and is from southern Indiana. It’s not wishful thinking to say there are capable assistants who will come. It’s just common sense and experience that tells me that relationships don’t go away when someone steps away. Do people change positions sure, but he will build a staff and get after it if he gets back in the game.

Just because you don’t know his circles doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a tree of coaches to get assistants from. You don’t think many of his former assistants wouldn’t give him good advice for some guys they know?

I actually think you are trolling so I’ll bet you $5,000 that if Matta takes a head coaching job he will have a staff of assistant coaches, want that bet? If not, stop with the trolling. 

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Without a doubt. The only hire that would unite the fan base was Brad Stevens. That doesn’t appear to be happening. 

You hire Matta there will be happy fans here and unhappy fans there. Goes for each candidate. Going to a final four will cure that. We’ve tasted the Sweet 16 several times and fans obviously want more at Indiana. 

Winning is nice, but get to the final four. 

And Stevens isn’t a perfect hire. He wasn’t killing it at Butler when they switched to the A10. He also went to the CBI the year after the second championship game. So his final two years weren’t that good. Hmmm sounds like Matta but it was when you were younger than when Matta had his 1 bad year. 

20 minutes ago, Treesh said:

He was good 10 years ago. This Indiana, we can’t get a coach who has been good within the calendar year?

You can get whatever you want if you’re willing to chase fads.  Chasing recency bias over proven success is what the IU administration has done for two decades and why we’re currently looking again.  

The coach du jour is often available but usually never the best option. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why do you prefer potential over proven success? Matta has proven Big 10 success. He has 5 big ten conference championships in 13 seasons. You’re worried that he can’t replicate his success at IU because he hasn’t coached in four years, but you’re ok taking a chance on Fife because he has the potential to have success? He’s been a head coach at one school a decade ago, he won under 50% of his games there, and he hasn’t been a head coach since. Fife has the potential to succeed in the conference. Matta has already done it. 

Honestly we’d be in the phase which kills programs and organizations. Recycling head coaches.

A lot of schools do it, I’m not a fan of it clearly. I’m just worried if we keep recycling head coaches then we’re circling back to Tom Crean results. We don’t know what each coach can do until they do it. It’s clear that Sweet 16’s don’t cut it here and they shouldn’t. Matta has been there, yes. But again, it was years ago and he’s been out the game for a while. 

I don’t like his chances personally. I like Beards potential of taking Indiana to a final four. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think some people would be upset if we hired Jesus

The media never got a straight answer out of him. He was always full of parables. Not to mention his entourage that followed him everywhere. One of those guys was a complete sellout too. 

That’s a hard pass.