Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The object of the game has been the same since it was invented and that is to get the ball to go into the hoop.  The younger generation with their analytics tries to make basketball a lot harder than it is.  You want players who can shoot and get the ball in the basket.  On defense you need to have players who can stop the other team from getting the ball in the basket.  Guys sports is not rocket science but people who uses analytics all the time is trying to make it more difficult than it really is.

I respect your old school perspective, I would expect no less from Indiana fans. But I’m afraid the times have indeed changed. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Well of course they probably know him, but they not much longer. It’s not looking good for him and I’m very worried for his career. If you guys remember, he was my profile picture for 2 years. 

I teach high school kids.  Think you don't have a grasp on what they know.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I teach high school kids.  Think you don't have a grasp on what they know.

I’ve coached college basketball and interact with college coaches. But Ok. 

Just now, Treesh said:

I respect your old school perspective, I would expect no less from Indiana fans. But I’m afraid the times have indeed changed. 

Yeah thin new school college basketball is almost unwatchable with the kind of offense we see ran.  Basketball was meant to be played with a fluid motion  with players moving and cutting.  It is meant to be played with the ball moving by passes and guys coming off screens off the ball.  All this guys standing around and having guys go one on one or having ball screens is ruining the college game.  The 30 second shot clock has made offense so hard to run and it has made offense so stagnant.  Scoring was higher and shooting was higher before they even had a shot clock and the 3 point line but now guys can't shoot worth a damn.

16 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Recruiting, transfers. The Big Ten is elite these days besides March. The transfer market and recruiting have helped with this as have the new coaching additions. 

With his lack of being in the game recently, I suggest he is out of the loop with recruiting, talking to kids, etc. I don’t know if he could build a staff. 

It’s not like the Big Ten sucked when he was at Ohio State. And it’s not like he’s been a hermit isolated from all human interaction the past four years. He built great relations when he was at OSU. He recruited Indiana very well. High school kids aren’t that different than they were five years ago when he was recruiting. He coached Mike Conley. He coached D’Angelo Russell. He could probably also coach the 5 star left handed PG currently on our team. 

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You are one scared fan. Seems like you are scared to death of anything but perfection. Hate to tell you, there has never been and never will be a perfect candidate

Yep. And I hate to talk ill of the man, but Stevens isn’t above failure either. He’s never recruited the high major, 1-and-done scene. For example, had Archie gotten a all-big level 4yr starter at guard instead of Romeo, he’s probably still the coach today.  Stevens got pretty lucky with the Howard and Hayward recruitments. And Stevens at the pro level has had his problems with the exact type of 1-and-done talent (eg. kyrie, tatum, jb) he’d have to navigate at IU.  

All candidates have risks. You hire the best you can. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s not like the Big Ten sucked when he was at Ohio State. And it’s not like he’s been a hermit isolated from all human interaction the past four years. He built great relations when he was at OSU. He recruited Indiana very well. High school kids aren’t that different than they were five years ago when he was recruiting. He coached Mike Conley. He coached D’Angelo Russell. He could probably also coach the 5 star left handed PG currently on our team. 

Actually the big ten now is not very good but compared to the rest it is better.  If you want to see a stacked Big ten and was stacked with great players you need to go back to the 80's and 90's.  The difference is today that the top of the big ten is so much weaker than it use to be but the bottom is stronger so it makes it look tougher.

I guess I still don't see Cincinnati and Columbus as places as cities where you can just kind of blend in.
Columbus is larger than Indy. Cincinnati not so much

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah thin new school college basketball is almost unwatchable with the kind of offense we see ran.  Basketball was meant to be played with a fluid motion  with players moving and cutting.  It is meant to be played with the ball moving by passes and guys coming off screens off the ball.  All this guys standing around and having guys go one on one or having ball screens is ruining the college game.  The 30 second shot clock has made offense so hard to run and it has made offense so stagnant.  Scoring was higher and shooting was higher before they even had a shot clock and the 3 point line but now guys can't shoot worth a damn.

Exact reason I can't watch the NBA until round 2 of playoffs!!!

I will whole-heartedly embrace Matta to IU IF he will arrange for me to punch Aaron Craft in the face. Put that in the contract and he can have whatever else he wants. $10mil a year, midget hookers, cocaine parties, you name it. I just want to pop AC a good one PLEASE! 

15 minutes ago, Treesh said:

“Who?”

He’s on the worst team in the league and he’s fallen off tremendously. It’s quite sad because he was my favorite player. If he doesn’t get his stuff together, he may be out of the league I’m afraid of. His knees haven’t been kind. Poor guy. 

“Mike Conley played for me.” 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I’ve coached college basketball and interact with college coaches. But Ok. 

Bro... you coach college ball and don’t know how good Matta is?  

Also, look around. Game hasn’t changed except maybe for the worse Xs and Os wise. Guys from the 80s and 90s still dominating: Izzo, Pitino, K, Williams, Few, Tony Bennett running stuff his dad came up with in the 80s, etc... 

Cmon man...

Just now, Treesh said:

“Ahhh the charity All-Star!, that’s cool coach but no one watches the Jazz”

Those Grizzlies teams were pretty special. He can also mention the insane amounts of money Conley has earned in the NBA. 

If that doesn’t work, he can mention how he coached Greg Oden into the #1 pick. Or he can talk about coaching Evan Turner, D’Angelo Russell, or even Jared Sullinger. Matta isn’t my first choice at all but he’s not that far removed from coaching at an incredibly high level. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Bro... you coach college ball and don’t know how good Matta is?  

Also, look around. Game hasn’t changed except maybe for the worse Xs and Os wise. Guys from the 80s and 90s still dominating: Izzo, Pitino, K, Williams, Few, Tony Bennett running stuff his dad came up with in the 80s, etc... 

Cmon man...

He was good 10 years ago. This Indiana, we can’t get a coach who has been good within the calendar year?

I guess i see that every message board has that one poster who thinks they know more than anyone else on the board. The one who will argue with any point another poster makes even when it is obvious they don't have a clue what they are talking about.