Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Doesn’t Matta run the same system as Archie. Matta is a smart guy though. I’m sure he’s been watching the game the last four years and seen what it’s trended to and would adapt. At least I’d hope he does.

No Archie ran his own system. Matta’s teams, especially those that were successful, could all shoot it. He also doesn’t run a the pack line defense. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You’ve talked a lot about Matta’s success being years ago and him not being able to adapt. What do you think has changed in Big Ten basketball to the extent that Matta wouldn’t be able to adjust and succeed at IU?

Recruiting, transfers. The Big Ten is elite these days besides March. The transfer market and recruiting have helped with this as have the new coaching additions. 

With his lack of being in the game recently, I suggest he is out of the loop with recruiting, talking to kids, etc. I don’t know if he could build a staff. 

Health is a HUGE concern for me here, coming from a disabled vet with a non-repaired spine injury. Matta has had unsuccessful back surgeries, he has had some therapy that has relieved his pain, but I can tell you one false move or misstep can send you right back to immense pain that can go on for days, weeks, months, or even years. This is something that I have dealt with for over 15 years, I have good years and I have bad. All depends on how cocky I get with my back. Trust me when I say he could be fine now, but with no warning at all he could be needing help to just get dressed again.

14 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Well this was in 2006 when I was in middle school.. last time I checked it’s 2021. 

My biggest concern is not coaching for four years and no recruiting. Will be build a staff? It’s all about who you know and has he kept up with his coaching friends? Coaching is a perishable skill. It’s also important for a coach to adapt. Could he adapt? He wasn’t winning his final two years. 

How is he magically healthy? If you’re healthy and love coaching then you jump back in at some level. To my understanding , he hasn’t sniffed a coaching role in four years. He’s to big of name to not get back into it  until Indiana comes calling? 

That’s where I’m taking about his health...maybe he’s just now feeling truly healthy again...and a “bad 4 year run” negates everything else?

his teams never failed to play in the top 50 for offensive adjusted efficiency in any year, I believe. So even his “bad” years weren’t that bad. The only season he didn’t win 20 games was his last year...

maybe you should do a little more digging past his last 4 years...might change your mind. 

The daily Hoosier has a nice write up on him

49 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So he's the type that would want to coach in a large city vs small college town? Actually checks out....Indy, Cincy and Columbus. I can understand that if it's in fact the case.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I guess I still don't see Cincinnati and Columbus as places as cities where you can just kind of blend in.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You’ve talked a lot about Matta’s success being years ago and him not being able to adapt. What do you think has changed in Big Ten basketball to the extent that Matta wouldn’t be able to adjust and succeed at IU?

I am feeling old when we are arguing with a person who was in middle school in 2006.  This generations thinks if they didn't see it happen then it doesn't matter.

9 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

With the Stevens debacle, Beard waiting on the Texas opening, Musselman moves around every 1-3 years.  Take a look at Musselman years on Wikipedia, guy moves constantly. Beilein being too old, Bennett, Donovan and Jay Wright being unrealistic.

Give me Matta's credentials versus anybody's!!!  He's my new favorite if Stevens is an absolute no!!

Like I said if you are worried about age we just seen a 76 year old coach get into the sweet 16.  He has to be able to coach and teach the game and doesn't have to play the game.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Recruiting, transfers. The Big Ten is elite these days besides March. The transfer market and recruiting have helped with this as have the new coaching additions. 

With his lack of being in the game recently, I suggest he is out of the loop with recruiting, talking to kids, etc. I don’t know if he could build a staff. 

You are one scared fan. Seems like you are scared to death of anything but perfection. Hate to tell you, there has never been and never will be a perfect candidate. 

Your concerns are actually just fears and you can’t prove he lost his recruiting touch. He has a college aged daughter. He didn’t forget how to talk to young people. 

He couldn’t build a staff? What are you taking about? People won’t want to be assistant for him? Or at IU? Michael Lewis would come back as an assistant in a heartbeat for example. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am feeling old when we are arguing with a person who was in middle school in 2006.  This generations thinks if they didn't see it happen then it doesn't matter.

I’m suggesting basketball has changed from 2006 to 2021. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I'm with ya brother.......graduated in 1990 but got to see IU at our BEST in the 80's and early 90's.  Watched Damom Bailey's last high school game before heading to IU. 

Can also say I've grown up as a adult with IU at its worst as well, so me and guys like you have the rose colored glasses and the other glasses that give you 20/40 vision

:)

Just now, Feathery said:

You are one scared fan. Seems like you are scared to death of anything but perfection. Hate to tell you, there has never been and never will be a perfect candidate. 

Your concerns are actually just fears and you can’t prove he lost his recruiting touch. He has a college aged daughter. He didn’t forget how to talk to young people. 

He couldn’t build a staff? What are you taking about? People won’t want to be assistant for him? Or at IU? Michael Lewis would come back as an assistant in a heartbeat for example. 

Building a staff comes from coaching circles and friends. It’s not an open invitation to anyone. I’m suggesting he may or may not have kept up with his coaching circles in his four years off. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

“D’angelo Russell played for me.”

”Nice to meet you, coach!”

“Who?”

He’s on the worst team in the league and he’s fallen off tremendously. It’s quite sad because he was my favorite player. If he doesn’t get his stuff together, he may be out of the league I’m afraid of. His knees haven’t been kind. Poor guy. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Lol... I can remember when he was the hot young coach and all the message board arguments about firing Davis early to get Matta. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I’m suggesting basketball has changed from 2006 to 2021. 

The object of the game has been the same since it was invented and that is to get the ball to go into the hoop.  The younger generation with their analytics tries to make basketball a lot harder than it is.  You want players who can shoot and get the ball in the basket.  On defense you need to have players who can stop the other team from getting the ball in the basket.  Guys sports is not rocket science but people who uses analytics all the time is trying to make it more difficult than it really is.

Just now, Treesh said:

“Who?”

He’s on the worst team in the league and he’s fallen off tremendously. It’s quite sad because he was my favorite player. 

I think you’re underestimating kids haha. I’d venture to guess most high school kids know Russel especially since he was on the lakers and warriors.

3 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I think you’re underestimating kids haha. I’d venture to guess most high school kids know Russel especially since he was on the lakers and warriors.

Well of course they probably know him, but they may not much longer. It’s not looking good for him and I’m very worried for his career. If you guys remember, he was my profile picture for 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

I'm with ya brother.......graduated in 1990 but got to see IU at our BEST in the 80's and early 90's.  Watched Damom Bailey's last high school game before heading to IU. 

Can also say I've grown up as a adult with IU at its worst as well, so me and guys like you have the rose colored glasses and the other glasses that give you 20/40 vision

:)

I graduated from high school in 89 which is the same class as Cheaney and the Graham's. I have watched IU win 3 championships and RMK made the game simple but today people want to try to re invent the game but it is for the worse.