Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

18 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Maybe he can build an Indiana staff. Maybe he wants his friends who may not have connections. I don’t know his circles. We don’t know his circles. We could assume he could bring Lewis or whoever but it’s all wishful thinking. 

No different then any other hire. Stevens makes a ton of sense and certainly wins the press conference, but no guarantees with him or anyone else. All wishful thinking whoever we hire. So I keep harping, get the best (most proven winner) you can. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

It’s not wishful thinking when Lewis has stated he hates seeing IU down. He played here and is from southern Indiana. It’s not wishful thinking to say there are capable assistants who will come. It’s just common sense and experience that tells me that relationships don’t go away when someone steps away. Do people change positions sure, but he will build a staff and get after it if he gets back in the game.

Just because you don’t know his circles doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a tree of coaches to get assistants from. You don’t think many of his former assistants wouldn’t give him good advice for some guys they know?

I actually think you are trolling so I’ll bet you $5,000 that if Matta takes a head coaching job he will have a staff of assistant coaches, want that bet? If not, stop with the trolling. 

It is wishful thinking because it's what you wish for. Maybe those guys come, you don't know and I don't know. You're wishing for it though and maybe it would be great for the program. We don't know. 

Every coach has a coaching tree, obviously. But no one here knows what Matta has been doing the last four years. Did he give up on coaching? No one knows. Maybe he deleted all his numbers and quit talking to everyone. We don't know. Assuming he didn't he would probably recruit his friends and they may not have Indiana connections. His friends may have better jobs or are current head coaches. We don't know.

I am not trolling. If you don't like what I say then ignore it. It's not hard LOL 

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

This narrative that IU fans are unusual or driving people away is silly. 

Just do the math. We have a program with great tradition (albeit quite dated at this point), unparalleled administrative and alumni support (i.e., willingness to shell out dollars for success), a top notch venue, a top notch conference, a superb recruiting base, and yet...

We can’t pull coaches from places like Arkansas or Texas Tech? (Let alone Virginia or Gonzaga or the Boston freaking Celtics..) And we’ve got an old NBA journeyman assistant on our short list? 

How else do you explain it? The culture of the program/fan base makes what would otherwise be a perfect job anything but. It’s toxic.

Dolson is trying to sell TM on the job - not the other way around. That tells you what you need to know. Landing TM is the very best possible result. 

4 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Just do the math. We have a program with great tradition (albeit quite dated at this point), unparalleled administrative and alumni support (i.e., willingness to shell out dollars for success), a top notch venue, a top notch conference, a superb recruiting base, and yet...

We can’t pull coaches from places like Arkansas or Texas Tech? (Let alone Virginia or Gonzaga or the Boston freaking Celtics..) And we’ve got an old NBA journeyman assistant on our short list? 

How else do you explain it? The culture of the program/fan base makes what would otherwise be a perfect job anything but. It’s toxic.

Dolson is trying to sell TM on the job - not the other way around. That tells you what you need to know. Landing TM is the very best possible result. 

To be fair ---  Arkansas loves their basketball. Plus it's Arkansas, they grow money for a living down there. If they want to keep Mussleman then they will pay him. 

And from the hard-work of others on this board, it appears that Beard and his family really love Texas. He's never lived this far north. I think it's outside factors that makes Beard not the next head coach. 

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

It is wishful thinking because it's what you wish for. Maybe those guys come, you don't know and I don't know. You're wishing for it though and maybe it would be great for the program. We don't know. 

Every coach has a coaching tree, obviously. But no one here knows what Matta has been doing the last four years. Did he give up on coaching? No one knows. Maybe he deleted all his numbers and quit talking to everyone. We don't know. Assuming he didn't he would probably recruit his friends and they may not have Indiana connections. His friends may have better jobs or are current head coaches. We don't know.

I am not trolling. If you don't like what I say then ignore it. It's not hard LOL 

Then take my bet. 

it’s your fearful thinking that thinks Matta and other candidates can be successful at IU. Or it’s your lack of experience. 

1 minute ago, Nonymouse said:

We're not sure Matta is even being considered It appears IU has only been rebuffed by Stevens, current HC of the Celtics. That may or may not actually still be in negotiations. It's almost all conjecture and I haven't seen anyone even claim Beard and Mussleman have passed, in fact some Arkansas guy is reporting Mussleman is interviewing with IU TONIGHT. So I guess my point is we don't really know what's happening. If Fife or Mike Woodson end up the coach then I will agree with you that there is a SERIOUS problem with the program, but it isn't the fans. We aren't hiring anyone. 

I don't live in Indiana anymore, I can tell you that most college fan-bases are the same. A handful of loud-mouth jerks (like us) spout off while the majority are blissfully ignorant of the details and just follow along to varying degrees. If coaches are afraid of engaged basketball fans then I don't want them at IU. 

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

To be fair ---  Arkansas loves their basketball. Plus it's Arkansas, they grow money for a living down there. If they want to keep Mussleman then they will pay him. 

And from the hard-work of others on this board, it appears that Beard and his family really love Texas. He's never lived this far north. I think it's outside factors that makes Beard not the next head coach. 

In any event, those are just two examples. Insert any number of high major coaching options (Altman, Cronin, McDermott, etc). Reality is IU would rather have them than an old NBA assistant, were they available. And if you add up all the factors I referenced above, guys like that *should* be available, and they’re not. 

Edited by Nonymouse

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Then take my bet. 

it’s your fearful thinking that thinks Matta and other candidates can be successful at IU. Or it’s your lack of experience. 

Betting is drinking pop, don't do it! 

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Betting is drinking pop, don't do it! 

Well it wouldn’t be a bet it would be you just giving me your money. Of course Matta would have a staff. That’s not even a debate and that was the bet I offered you. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Lol. I’m 39 son. 

LOL! 

I gave Draft Kings a go a few months ago and boy.. it was fun and addicting and then Purdue cost me money so I quit. I learned my lesson from betting. Please don't ask me why I would bet big money on Purdue :(

@Feathery and @Treesh you've both expressed your opinons which is the function of a message board and you each disagree with the other which is perfectly acceptable and neither is going to convince the other's thinking is wrong so could be call it a draw?

Just now, Treesh said:

LOL! 

I gave Draft Kings a go a few months ago and boy.. it was fun and addicting and then Purdue cost me money so I quit. I learned my lesson from betting. Please don't ask me why I would bet big money on Purdue :(

Honestly, I stay away from it myself. I could get sucked in, so I just don’t do it. 

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

@Feathery and @Treesh you've both expressed your opinons which is the function of a message board and you each disagree with the other which is perfectly acceptable and neither is going to convince the other's thinking is wrong so could be call it a draw?

No. :) I’ll call it a victory. Lol

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We've called it a draw sir, thank you! He's sending me $5,000 as we speak! 

[mention=3376]Feathery[/mention] and@Treesh you've both expressed your opinons which is the function of a message board and you each disagree with the other which is perfectly acceptable and neither is going to convince the other's thinking is wrong so could be call it a draw?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

That’s life for everyone. Izzo was an assistant. Matta was at a mm when he went to osu. K from Army. Bennett from one of the worst p5 schools. Howard unproven legacy with no experience in college. 

Self to Kansas and beilien  to Michigan were good pulls from good P5 schools but they’re rare. Roy Williams was a special case to his alma mater. 

IU pulled Sampson from a solid p5 situation and Crean from a good MM situation. Archie was the hot MM guy four years ago.  Nothing wrong with iu except the people hiring coaches.