Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I’m sure some won’t agree but I’ll just say this, I want a consistent top 20 winning program.   Is that too much to ask?  I don’t care anymore about perception and sparkling clean image.  College athletics are so far past those days.  I’m past the days of caring if a coach had prior sanctions, charges dropped, or found innocent.  If it wasn’t for age I’d take Sampson back in a heartbeat.  Pearl’s past?  Doesn’t bother me in the least.  Should have went after him 8 years ago.  Beard’s issues?  Charges dropped, move on.  Winning makes a lot of things better.  Just my grumpy Monday morning take as I stare at another March and the best time of the college sports year and once again, I don’t care about it because my team will be just like me, sitting on the couch watching.  

12 hours ago, AH1971 said:

I have no clue what you’re talking about or how that pertains to analytics? Analytics is nothing more than data. It’s a mathematical fact that a 3 point shot is a more efficient shot (over an entire setting) than a 15 foot jump shot. You’re literally arguing against data and math.

Most efficient shot is still an open shot, especially in the hands of your best shooter. An open 15 footer for a guy like Alford is more efficient than a contested 3 pointer.

I think that is what Scotty R is getting at. And I agree with him that it has become a bit of a lost art in today’s game to work your best shooters into an open space that isn’t a 3.  

I think a lot of coaches gravitate towards getting all their shooters on the 3pt line not only because it gives you a statistically strong shot, but imo, it is easier to teach to a guy in 6 mos time than something like a motion offense. Tony Bennett still teaches a version of the latter and you can see how his team has really had its ups and downs on offense this year trying to integrate 4 new players. If those players stay though, I bet they’ll be incredibly efficient on offense next year and the following

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Most efficient shot is still an open shot, especially in the hands of your best shooter. An open 15 footer for a guy like Alford is more efficient than a contested 3 pointer.

Open and if it goes in*

If you shoot 35% as a team from 3, you have to shoot at least 53% from the mid-range to make it a more efficient shot. Very few people in the world shot 53% from the mid-range whether they're open or not, let alone an entire team. That's literally why teams are willing to give up that shot possession after possession....it's not a high probability shot regardless if it goes in or not. 

53 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I think that is what Scotty R is getting at. And I agree with him that it has become a bit of a lost art in today’s game to work your best shooters into an open space that isn’t a 3.  

I think a lot of coaches gravitate towards getting all their shooters on the 3pt line not only because it gives you a statistically strong shot, but imo, it is easier to teach to a guy in 6 mos time than something like a motion offense. Tony Bennett still teaches a version of the latter and you can see how his team has really had its ups and downs on offense this year trying to integrate 4 new players. If those players stay though, I bet they’ll be incredibly efficient on offense next year and the following

Best post I've read in a long time.

If we are going to have to get a proven coach, I would prefer Oats.  His offense is fun to watch and although his defense stinks this year, last year his defense was ranked 3rd in Kenpom.  'If we're going to consider an older coach like Pearl, I'll throw in a few names of other older consistent winners.  Tony Bennett, Randy Bennett, and Greg McDermott are all coaches that I could be happy with.  

I'd take Greg McDermott as a 3rd or 4th option. I think Randy Bennett is perfectly content in the Bay Area and I may be in the minority, but I believe the game of basketball has simply passed by Tony Bennett. If I wanted to watch a team with a poor, antiquated offense who doesn't defend the 3 point line I'd simply revert to watching Mike Woodson. 

32 minutes ago, JF87 said:

If we are going to have to get a proven coach, I would prefer Oats.  His offense is fun to watch and although his defense stinks this year, last year his defense was ranked 3rd in Kenpom.  'If we're going to consider an older coach like Pearl, I'll throw in a few names of other older consistent winners.  Tony Bennett, Randy Bennett, and Greg McDermott are all coaches that I could be happy with.  

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that Randy Bennett is from Indiana and his mother still lives in Southport

5 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

So Pearl is a no for you

Not my first choice. I guess if I had to pick an old guy Pearl would be the best one -- Bruce and his teams are fun as hell and they win. 

But this is a young man's job. Find the 40-50 year old that is a great fit and let's roll. I do not care a bit that Archie did not work out. If we find the right younger guy we're set for 20 years. That's what I want first and foremost.

19 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that Randy Bennett is from Indiana and his mother still lives in Southport

For my money he's one of a handful of the best coaches in the country. Probably my favorite. But he is no way wired for this job.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

For my money he's one of a handful of the best coaches in the country. Probably my favorite. But he is no way wired for this job.

I agree, he is happy where he is at

3 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

I’m sure some won’t agree but I’ll just say this, I want a consistent top 20 winning program.   Is that too much to ask?  I don’t care anymore about perception and sparkling clean image.  College athletics are so far past those days.  I’m past the days of caring if a coach had prior sanctions, charges dropped, or found innocent.  If it wasn’t for age I’d take Sampson back in a heartbeat.  Pearl’s past?  Doesn’t bother me in the least.  Should have went after him 8 years ago.  Beard’s issues?  Charges dropped, move on.  

I get where you are coming from. I will just say that Pearl =/= Beard. Pearl loves to cheat the NCAA but until Congress does something, the NCAA doesn't matter. Reasonable people can disagree on how much that matters in today's landscape. As some people have pointed out to me on the board, lots of people seem to love Pearl as a person. Beard is another thing entirely. No prosecutor is going to continue pressing charges against a multi-millionaire without the support of the victim, so the fact that the charges were dropped means nothing. Texas looked into it and fired him. And his drinking problems are well known. I hate it as much as the next guy, without the off the court stuff, Beard would be the ready made #1 option for IU, but there has to be a line.  He should not and will not be considered for our job. 

58 minutes ago, Demo said:

This is spot on. The next coach has to really be able to handle all the trappings that come with the job, and I would guess that 90% of coaches couldn't/wouldn't succeed here. There is a lot of pressure to win here and as we've seen this season, you have a bad year, people are going to come after you. But with some sustain and real success, you can lessen that pressure when the occasional bad season happens. When you're trending down, it's tough to come back in this job. 

4 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

So is Trilly really reporting that Dolson supports a change but Buckner is a hard no?  That's what I read on another site.

If true, then Dolson should quit. 

11 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This is spot on. The next coach has to really be able to handle all the trappings that come with the job, and I would guess that 90% of coaches couldn't/wouldn't succeed here. There is a lot of pressure to win here and as we've seen this season, you have a bad year, people are going to come after you. But with some sustain and real success, you can lessen that pressure when the occasional bad season happens. When you're trending down, it's tough to come back in this job. 

If true, then Dolson should quit. 

The wiring is crazy important here. Every bit as important as X’s and O’s. I didn’t love the Archie hire, but it was certainly defensible on paper. But, man, there was a moment in his introductory presser where he looked up at the banners and dude looked spooked. And he just never looked comfortable in this environment for a single second. Guys think they get it. They don’t. You’ve gotta find a guy who understands that this isn’t a job. IUBB HC is your identity. If they’re not eager to embrace that, they’re not the Guy.