Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I knew we should have went after Jon Scheyer lol.
You should be drug out in the street and beaten for having mike on your list.i would have never even thought of him as a possibility lol. Dobson probably was reading this thread and was like. Mike woodson yeah that's the one! Thanks lcs

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Instead of discussing names, what style do you want from our next coach (whenever that may be)?  Would you prefer a coach that has a  kenpom adjusted offensive rating in the top 25, but defensive rating is in the 50-100 range?  Or would you prefer a coach whose adjusted defensive rating is in the top 25, but the offensive rating is in the 50-100 range?  

3 hours ago, JF87 said:

Instead of discussing names, what style do you want from our next coach (whenever that may be)?  Would you prefer a coach that has a  kenpom adjusted offensive rating in the top 25, but defensive rating is in the 50-100 range?  Or would you prefer a coach whose adjusted defensive rating is in the top 25, but the offensive rating is in the 50-100 range?  

Both will eventually fail. Need a coach whose system/style allows top 25 in both. And more often than not they need to be able to get the talent to be in the top 25 of both. 

12 hours ago, str8baller said:

Both will eventually fail. Need a coach whose system/style allows top 25 in both. And more often than not they need to be able to get the talent to be in the top 25 of both. 

Based on Current Kenpom, your current coaching options (top 25 both) would be:

1. M. Painter
  2. D. Hurley
  3. T. LLoyd
  4. M. Pope (BYU)
  5. R. Barnes
  6. B. Pearl
  7. K. Sampson
  8. Shaka Smart

McDermott and Izzo fall just outside of the criteria.  Of the 8 listed, which would leave their current situation to take on an IU rebuild?  Possibly Pearl or Pope?  I would assume the rest are pretty happy with their current situations.  Pope is a Kentucky alum.  Could we, as IU fans, stomach that?  Pearl is 64 in March.  

16 hours ago, JF87 said:

Get up the floor quickly, with good motion and moving. Lots of 3's. 5 out or 4 out 1 in. Don't care about defense. Modern offense please

13 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Mick Cronin has had a brutal year at UCLA, word is because of lack of NIL support. He is from the Midwest, and if we went with a proven winner he would be my pick. 52 years old and has won big at both UC and UCLA.

I've heard he's been lobbying behind the scenes for the Louisville job. 

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

Based on Current Kenpom, your current coaching options (top 25 both) would be:

1. M. Painter
  2. D. Hurley
  3. T. LLoyd
  4. M. Pope (BYU)
  5. R. Barnes
  6. B. Pearl
  7. K. Sampson
  8. Shaka Smart

McDermott and Izzo fall just outside of the criteria.  Of the 8 listed, which would leave their current situation to take on an IU rebuild?  Possibly Pearl or Pope?  I would assume the rest are pretty happy with their current situations.  Pope is a Kentucky alum.  Could we, as IU fans, stomach that?  Pearl is 64 in March.  

That’s a pretty good list of coaches. But just because they’re there one year or not one year isn’t dispositive.  

There are good coaches at lower levels who aren’t there because of their current talent who could take a resource rich school like Indiana there. Conversely, a guy like Shaka really has trouble getting his offense going at a place like Texas and that would give me pause.  

You don’t need to be there every year but you need to be capable of building teams that can get there if you want to make a runs. 

my list is ever changing, like my emotional state. 

1. Brad Stevens: The perfect fit for IU from every conceivable perspective. Whatever it takes…. Seriously….Kidnap his entire family and bring them to Bloomington. They’ll all get Stockholm Syndrome eventually

* I’ve decided that I’m personally going to drive myself nuts again by attempting to will this into existence. Anyone is welcome to join. 

2. Nate Oats: Guy is a stud and belongs at a basketball school. He will win natty’s. 

3. Josh Shertz: he’s a budding star in my mind. I think he’s going to win wherever he goes. He’s not a one dimensional coach. Love how other coaches talk about him. 

4. Dusty May: Really like him but I’m having a hard time convincing myself he’s a winner at IU. Not sure I’ve ever been so 50/50 on a potential coach. Part of me thinks he comes in and struggles to find footing. Another part thinks he comes in and becomes an all timer for us. Then the larger part of me feels like he comes in and his ceiling is similar to Tom Crean (which I’m not sure anyone would be upset with at the moment). 

22 hours ago, JF87 said:

Nate Oats style is probably my favorite in all of college basketball and I think he would recruit to that style very well at Indiana. 

1. Fast paced: high tempo offense that emphasizes quick shots. Attack early in the shot clock and put pressure on defenses. 

2. Space and Spread: they rely heavily on spacing the floor and opening up driving lanes and open three point shots.

3. Analytical approach: discussed here a bunch. He doesn’t just talk about it. He lives it. He emphasizes the value of 3 point shots and shots at the rim, over mid range shots. 

4. aggressive defense: he mixes it up between man to man and zone pretty regularly. Preaches defensive rebounding to get the break going. 

But all of this is moot bc we are going to will Brad a Stevens to IU. Remember? 

6 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Nate Oats style is probably my favorite in all of college basketball and I think he would recruit to that style very well at Indiana. 

1. Fast paced: high tempo offense that emphasizes quick shots. Attack early in the shot clock and put pressure on defenses. 

2. Space and Spread: they rely heavily on spacing the floor and opening up driving lanes and open three point shots.

3. Analytical approach: discussed here a bunch. He doesn’t just talk about it. He lives it. He emphasizes the value of 3 point shots and shots at the rim, over mid range shots. 

4. aggressive defense: he mixes it up between man to man and zone pretty regularly. Preaches defensive rebounding to get the break going. 

Wait, defensive rebounding is allowed?

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I love Nate oats and would be shocked if he came here. Saying that the coach I think that has the best shot at creating a nate oats like system is Schertz. He already plays 5 out a lot and they’re at 44 in pace. I really do think he’s going to be a star. Maybe it’s the new shiny toy and that’s why I like him more than May but I’d honestly be very happy if we ended up with schertz as our coach. 

I like Nate Oats and they are currently the number 1 ranked adjusted offense on Kenpom.  From a stylistic standpoint, I prefer a coach that has a great offense.  Tony Bennett is a winner with a great defense, but his offense and offensive tempo are not fun to watch.  Give me the offense-oriented coach.  I'd love for IU to steal Oats away from Alabama.  I'm not sure if the scandal last year would keep IU from considering him. 

10 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I like Nate Oats and they are currently the number 1 ranked adjusted offense on Kenpom.  From a stylistic standpoint, I prefer a coach that has a great offense.  Tony Bennett is a winner with a great defense, but his offense and offensive tempo are not fun to watch.  Give me the offense-oriented coach.  I'd love for IU to steal Oats away from Alabama.  I'm not sure if the scandal last year would keep IU from considering him. 

The thing is if you want to win a title which I think we all do you need to be good at offense and defense. Even though Virginia plays at snails pace the year they won a title they had a top 10 offense. Jay wrights Villanova teams were the similar although slightly faster. They played slow but made a lot of threes and were extremely efficient. Archie was very one sided at Dayton and that works at the mid majors but we need both. I watch a lot of nba so I will say the fast paced spread it out offense is what I’m used to but I just want to see wins honestly. 

10 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

The thing is if you want to win a title which I think we all do you need to be good at offense and defense. Even though Virginia plays at snails pace the year they won a title they had a top 10 offense. Jay wrights Villanova teams were the similar although slightly faster. They played slow but made a lot of threes and were extremely efficient. Archie was very one sided at Dayton and that works at the mid majors but we need both. I watch a lot of nba so I will say the fast paced spread it out offense is what I’m used to but I just want to see wins honestly. 

Rhode Island's 5 fans might disagree that Miller's one sided style works.

3 hours ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Even though Virginia plays at snails pace the year they won a title they had a top 10 offense. Jay wrights Villanova teams were the similar although slightly faster.

Correct. All their best teams were good at both even playing slower. At a major program I’d ideally want a coach to play a little faster but it’s hardly a deal breaker.  Either guy would have killed it at IU. 

If IU actually had a top notch and dynamic athletic dept like an Alabama or Ohio St or even Kansas, I’d say there might be a small outside shot at getting a Tony Bennett type. But you’d have to really make the pitch to get someone to leave a spot like that. But if you look at NIL and the transfer market UVA is in tough spot going forward. They lost a rotation guy to Texas (and IU was rumored to be a bidder). His program is currently much better than both but will lose players based on resources. Not to mention what would even happen to a school like UVA if Fl State went and blew the NCAA up. All those variables are probably in the back of his, and other coaches, mind.  

But even without the sister stuff, I don’t think IU has ever proven they have that type of dynamic and capable administration. Not in this century anyways. Wells could’ve done it. Ryan too.