Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Let’s stop playing around and double Painter’s salary.

1. a. Dan Hurley
b. Painter
c. Stevens
3. Tommy Lloyd
4. Tony Bennett (would he play faster)
5. Scott Drew
6. Chris Beard
7. Bruce Pearl
8. Dusty May
9. Shaka Smart
10. Some energetic younger coach with national respect and some passion and toughness. Do they exist?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Quinn Buckner
Lol I was just comparing the qualifications and who I may have gambled on. I mean you had 2 iu guys. Both played for knight and 1 has been in the college game for almost 20 years. The other was a old mediocre nba coach who could possibly recruit but with no drive!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I'm not making excuses for Woodson, but this is a big reason why we need someone younger. A lot of recruits these days want people to "show them love." You see it on social media constantly, recruits practically begging for coaches to notice them and reach out to them. Perhaps they lack a significant father figure in their lives? Whatever the reason, Woodson doesn't seem like the type of coach who will play that game. Probably why we're not making any kind of inroads at the high school level lately. 

Not the case with this family as his father is very much a huge part of his life. But when Izzo and Painter are the lead recruiter in your recruitment and they are constantly reaching out to you but Walsh is the only guy really contacting you or coming to see you it makes an impression. Doesn’t really have much to do with the need “shown love” as this kid isn’t that type of kid but more to do with why play for a coach that doesn’t seem too interested in you when others schools and coaches seem to want you more and you do like those schools as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we beat Illinois does this convo calm down? 
I’ve got some real questions about Woodson’s ability to move things forward, mostly centered on his failure and lack of concern about developing an outside game and failure coming into this season to bring in guards, but it is just year 3 and we did just have JHS — who a bunch here for about half the season kept posting how he wasn’t a one and done, wasn’t good enough, and then he found his stride with X out. 

I’m not big on the rush to push Woodson out in just 3 years and expect the idea will fail. Do think he gets the off season and next season to show. I’m not super confident on what this team can do this season— they look like an NIT team at this point, but it’s still fairly early. Rough schedule now and they’ll have to find a way to finish well — we’ll see.

I’ve got some real questions about Woodson’s ability to move things forward, mostly centered on his failure and lack of concern about developing an outside game and failure coming into this season to bring in guards, but it is just year 3 and we did just have JHS — who a bunch here for about half the season kept posting how he wasn’t a one and done, wasn’t good enough, and then he found his stride with X out. 

I’m not big on the rush to push Woodson out in just 3 years and expect the idea will fail. Do think he gets the off season and next season to show. I’m not super confident on what this team can do this season— they look like an NIT team at this point, but it’s still fairly early. Rough schedule now and they’ll have to find a way to finish well — we’ll see.

Find a way to make the tournament and 90% of this goes away. Maybe more, but this isn’t a tournament so we have different things to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Dillion said:

I also know a family well that isn’t too happy with Woodys lack of involvement like the other head coaches are that are recruiting him. It’s their main concern right now and they want to be shown love by the head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If true that is a good reason to make a change this year

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Not for me (and others too I presume/hope).

It’s not just about the W/L record, it’s also about how we play. Playing stupid, sloppy, inconsistent, etc. needs to be addressed, and it doesn’t seem like this staff is showing a strong enough commitment (so far…year 3) to address it.

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Why are we discussing coaches?  We were just in first place.  We're close guys.

Well hey, at least we know their practices are translating to games….

2 hours ago, KYHoosier said:

Dusty May and Josh Schertz may end up being great coaches at big time universities in the future but there is no way you can convince me either are ready or qualified to become IU's next coach. Both should prove themselves in the P5 ranks as winners before they are asked to coach one of the biggest pressure cooker jobs in all of college bball.

My top, realistic candidates would be Shaka Smart, Greg McDermott, Scott Drew, Chris Beard (don't agree with his character, but you at least give him an interview), and Bruce Pearl. I think IU could land one of these coaches and all could handle the job and win here. You can risk going after another unproven coach.

There have been plenty of HOF coaches that went from mid major to their big time job 

RMK Army to IU

Coach K Army to Duke

Calhoun Northeastern to UCONN

Roy Williams Assistant at UNC to Kansas

Boheim Assistant at Syracuse to HC at Syracuse .

Keady W. Kentucky to Purdue

I am sure there are a lot more but that is off the top of my head

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

There have been plenty of HOF coaches that went from mid major to their big time job 

RMK Army to IU

Coach K Army to Duke

Calhoun Northeastern to UCONN

Roy Williams Assistant at UNC to Kansas

Boheim Assistant at Syracuse to HC at Syracuse .

Keady W. Kentucky to Purdue

I am sure there are a lot more but that is off the top of my head

Maybe not all “HOF” but:

Ryan at Wisconsin

Donovan at Florida

Izzo at MSU

Pitino from Providence

14 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Not for me (and others too I presume/hope).

It’s not just about the W/L record, it’s also about how we play. Playing stupid, sloppy, inconsistent, etc. needs to be addressed, and it doesn’t seem like this staff is showing a strong enough commitment (so far…year 3) to address it.

We didn’t play “stupid” and “sloppy” last season. 3 years is nothing and you’re ignoring even last year. We’ll see

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

There are some HCs (not just Woody) who very much recruit this way.

Not many do it this way.  Honestly can’t think of any that do it that way.    It was pointed out early by many this could end up being a problem for IU in long recruitments.    Woodys success on the recruiting trail has always been short recruitments.   Head coach needs to be involved early and often and is a multiple year commitment to the player.   It was always a high risk approach to recruiting this way instead of a traditional way of recruiting in college.    Hopefully it works out for IU 

3 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I say it every time there is a possible coaching change. I’m grew up watching Bruce Pearl win at Southern Indiana. He is older but still has the enthusiasm as one much younger. He said IU was his dream job and he has plenty of connections to Indiana high schools. His past was a tad bumpy at times but all those rules have changed now. If we go looking for another coach I would have him in my top three. Most proven coaches will be unrealistic. I promise you he is better than anything we have had in a long time. 

Pearl would be my number one choice as well

3 hours ago, Bankshot said:

Yes! I've heard that stuff too (don't know for sure how true and accurate it is or not) but it is EXACTLY the kind of short-sighted and questionable upper management behavior I'm referring to.

Indiana hasn't just been bad for almost 30 years because we're cursed or because there aren't any capable coaches out there. Most of our wounds have been self-inflicted. 

Successful organizations that truly pursue excellence do not do business this way.

Jeez, we are sounding more and more like Georgetown.