Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Dusty is a risk. Kinda Archie crean type risk? That being said if he wants the job give it to him. It's to early to give up on Woodson but I am sure by looking at our numbers by the end of season most will be ready to move on

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

If and when ever the time comes coaches to keep in mind:  Steve Alford love story

And a coach just up 46 in Terre Haute (up and coming) and a winner thus far 48 year old Josh Schertz…see if he wins MVC and makes tournament runs….recruiting well and teams off season work, conditioned, prepared excellent for games, teams put together well with good character, graduates players, and players like playing for him.….and IU men’s basketball are lacking in these areas.

1 hour ago, TTT said:

If and when ever the time comes coaches to keep in mind:  Steve Alford love story

And a coach just up 46 in Terre Haute (up and coming) and a winner thus far 48 year old Josh Schertz…see if he wins MVC and makes tournament runs….recruiting well and teams off season work, conditioned, prepared excellent for games, teams put together well with good character, graduates players, and players like playing for him.….and IU men’s basketball are lacking in these areas.

Definitely going to run modern basketball sets . At least be fun to watch at some point .

2 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Dusty is a risk. Kinda Archie crean type risk? That being said if he wants the job give it to him. It's to early to give up on Woodson but I am sure by looking at our numbers by the end of season most will be ready to move on

It's past time to give up on Woodson.

It's past time to give up on Woodson.

The fact is its to early! We win Friday in the call center and win a few more then what? So yea it's to early but the writing is on the wall.

We really do need a home run here though. Still shocked with so much on the line we went with what we did with Woodson

The fact is its to early! We win Friday in the call center and win a few more then what? So yea it's to early but the writing is on the wall.We really do need a home run here though. Still shocked with so much on the line we went with what we did with Woodson

We have lost 19 in a row in the kohl center. I probably have as good of a chance of winning the lottery as we do winning in that building with this team. I would say keeping united under a 15 point loss would be a huge accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I personally don’t care about having a seat at the table with the top recruits, I think the coach should recruit players that fit his style of play and are high character players 

Shouldn't the coach be viewed as high character also. Beard is viewed as having  questionable character by many fans(not just our fans). Coaches,in a lot of cases, have to gain the trust of mothers and grandmothers. Not sure an alleged domestic charge will sit well with quite a few of them. Not that I am for or against, but after getting feedback from the women in my life, probably not a great hire. Perception is important. 

1 hour ago, J34 said:

Shouldn't the coach be viewed as high character also. Beard is viewed as having  questionable character by many fans(not just our fans). Coaches,in a lot of cases, have to gain the trust of mothers and grandmothers. Not sure an alleged domestic charge will sit well with quite a few of them. Not that I am for or against, but after getting feedback from the women in my life, probably not a great hire. Perception is important. 

Yes, but everyone makes a mistake and should have a chance to make amends and given at least a second chance

32 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Mark me down for Scott Drew or Tommy Lloyd if the change is this season. Or write a blank check to Dan Hurley. 

If it’s next year/beyond, I could may be convinced on Dusty May. 

Why would either of them come here and leave their current job. You just don't see coaches leaving a top program to go to another one. Look at the latest hires from blue blood programs.

UNC former player and assistant

Duke the same 

Syracuse the same

Villanova unproven coach

It’s hard to envision Woodson leaving voluntarily.  He thinks he can bring titles here. The rest of the season can get pretty bad though.  It can get much worse than it is right now.  I don’t know if that happens he would think about getting out though. I’m sure he would think he could turn it around and right the ship.  It’s going to take people close to him to tell him to get out.  Is the old guard (Buckner, May, IT) going to do that because we finally got an IU guy?

4 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Yes, but everyone makes a mistake and should have a chance to make amends and given at least a second chance

Agree on the second chance, but if this JR tweet from a year and a half ago, still holds a drop of water, then hard pass. If you feel that kind of pressure to win in football country, to the point of drinking, imagine the pressure he will feel in Bloomington. And we complain about Woody having a cigar after a loss.

Screenshot_20240117_211011_Chrome.jpg

17 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Why would either of them come here and leave their current job. You just don't see coaches leaving a top program to go to another one. Look at the latest hires from blue blood programs.

Duke the same 

Syracuse the same

Villanova unproven coach

Very true but you’d be shocked at how a pay raise can entice people. $6 mill a year plus heavy bonuses sounds pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Mark me down for Scott Drew or Tommy Lloyd if the change is this season. Or write a blank check to Dan Hurley

If it’s next year/beyond, I could may be convinced on Dusty May. 

Not trying to single you/this suggestion out, but it will never happen... Dan Hurley's wife is an extreme NJ Italian (lol), he had a hard enough time convincing her to let them move to Connecticut, where her parents/siblings/cousins, etc. are less than 3 hours away. I think Danny Hurley is at UConn for the long haul. And that's bad news for the rest of CBB!

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

I am of the opinion this team still makes it respectable this year, next year is a lot better and we have plan in place by mid next year for a much better transition than doing it now. That gives you time to keep an eye on the younger guys and more time for them to prove it. 

I would throw a name I don’t see much in same model of Dusty. With success but young. Yeah, he has had some troubles with a suspension for tampering and argument with an opposing coach but appears we are all in on whatever now. He also knows how to beat Purdue and UK. Could recruit heck of out NJ/NY area which seems to be where most the top guys are coming from more and more. 

Shaheen Holloway - have to take him from his former school though 

Just a name I haven’t heard at all. 

I love Shaheen. Love watching the way he coaches (it looks like SHU has 6 players on the court half the time). 

Just don't see ANY way he leaves his alma mater SHU, unless it's for the NBA some day. He just got there. I don't know that he's the kind of guy who would be motivated even by something like $10M/yr necessarily. Don't see the fit personality wise... 

As you said, he's also not really a proven commodity yet. He has his team playing hard though. Big improvement in year 2. 

11 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Duke the same 

Syracuse the same

Villanova unproven coach

You are correct neither are going to leave their current job and take a step down to come here. Yes IU would be a step down compared to those two programs in 2024. We probably have a higher ceiling in the long run but they both are a better program today