Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

52 minutes ago, akumanina said:

I know what you're saying. It could sound hypocritical that we use the word 'family', and on the other hand we kick out players who are willing to stay and work hard. But at this point, creating a winning program is the most important thing; without winning, there won't be a family. I wholeheartedly disagree.  Building a long term successful program doesn't start with betraying your word to a dyed in Hoosier wool  player for a moderately better player. 

Also, being a family is a two way street; from a player's perspective, a student-athlete must want to be a part of it and have strong conviction that playing for IU would be his best interest. Well the player being discussed has never wavered from that belief.

From IU's perspective, players should be worthwhile; every basketball scholarship is, for IU, a valuable investment. In other words, going forwards in CMW era, each player has to meet certain level of quality standards in both basketball and non-basketball to become a family. There isn't a current scholarship player that would have not met that standard under any IU coach.

This is just a lot of words trying to justify possibly Creaning a player that just pledged himself to you and the IU program. For a top 5 recruit you might have to bend your ethics a bit, but for the middling 3rd yr guy whose name shall not be spoken, HARD PASS.

Answered above.

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he was also told to move along. 

Do we know that for sure? He was probably not going to play much, even if healthy, and I would expect the staff to be honest with him about that. At that point, it is up to him to make the best decision for him. As a manager, I asked for trust from my employees and gave the same to them. From my experience, trust is hard to earn and easy to lose. I believe that trust will be essential to what CMW is trying to do. I have no clue what the nature of the conversations with the players have been, but I hope they have been honest, upfront, and caring. To me, that is the path to long term success.

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You’re first paragraph talks about getting rid of a die hard Hoosier, for someone a little better. But didn’t we just do that with Brunk?

How so?

1)Brunk could have stayed. In fact, why would any coach encourage a freebie scholarship guy to leave? 

2)No one new was added at Brunks position. So he just didn't want to stay for whatever reason. 

3)And by him leaving to take a similar PT position at OSU, I would far from consider him a die hard Hoosier. 

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You’re going to get less than 5 minutes a game but we really want you to stay. Then you tell everyone you tried.

What did IU gain by having a non scholarship counting, mature team leader leave? It makes zero sense to think they didn't want him around.

39 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

What did IU gain by having a non scholarship counting, mature team leader leave? It makes zero sense to think they didn't want him around.

Maybe they didn’t want to waste practice reps on a 6th year senior who they knew wouldn’t ever see the floor? Just spitballing as I really have no idea.

Sure, Brunk was older...a leader we think...and he was big.  But he wasn't super mobile.  Did the metrics show that the team was better with him when TJD or Race were out?  What was all the hedging about out near the free throw line?  Free throws were not good.  Scoring wasn't great.  

Coach MW may have said that IU was looking to have just one inside.  Between TJD, Race and big newcomer D who needs the game minutes...Brunk wouldn't get much in the uptempo game.

Sad but true.  Brunk and tOSU coach go way back.  Better for him to be there. Hope that he gets lots of PT at tOSU and IU beats the heck out of them.  They will be slower with him.

Thanks for being here.  Hope your health is better.  Next man up.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

10 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Sure, Brunk was older...a leader we think...and he was big.  But he wasn't super mobile.  Did the metrics show that the team was better with him when TJD or Race were out?  What was all the hedging about out near the free throw line?  Free throws were not good.  Scoring wasn't great.  

Coach MW may have said that IU was looking to have just one inside.  Between TJD, Race and big newcomer D who needs the game minutes...Brunk wouldn't get much in the uptempo game.

Sad but true.  Brunk and tOSU coach go way back.  Better for him to be there. Hope that he gets lots of PT at tOSU and IU beats the heck out of them.  They will be slower with him.

Thanks for being here.  Hope your health is better.  Next man up.

Not sure about Metrics but Archies only semi decent team was the one with Brunk Playing 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

You’re going to get less than 5 minutes a game but we really want you to stay. Then you tell everyone you tried.

But that would be different than simply saying 'move along'.  

To me there is a difference between saying 'you aren't going to get playing time with us so if you want to, you'll have to go somewhere else' and 'you aren't welcome here'.  In some cases, they actually mean the same thing and the first is just a nuanced way of saying the second.  But in Brunk's case, his scholarship wasn't going to count against us, so by itself him moving on -- at least on the surface -- wouldn't help.  The only possible benefit would be if sometime prior to the roster being finalized there would be an open spot and another big would be more likley to take the spot if Brunk wasn't around due to less competition for PT.