Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

On our wish list, we should expect to be preseason top 25 every season at some point. I realize it’s a super steep ask for next season, but we don’t take ourselves seriously if that isn’t our goal.

I’d say TJD returning would maybe get us there, plus X or a similar transfer. If no TJD, I don’t think we can get there this season. That’s the level of talent/success we need to accumulate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Excel or meet minimum requirements?

TJD returning could be helpful. Getting 2-3 that can both defend and be consistent from deep would help. Having a few players that can get their own shot would be an absolute blessing.

Noah Friedel (shooting guard from South Dakota State) is in the portal.

It's a very strange case.  Friedel will be one of the best shooters in the portal.  He was Summit freshman of the year in 2019-2020, averaging 12.2 points per game and shooting 40% from three.  The next season he picked up where he left off and was averaging 17 ppg in the first 10 games of the year, hitting 34 of 73 from three....and then he had a four game slump, the last of which he only played 17 minutes and was 0 of 7 from the field.  He didn't play the rest of the season and the program stated he was leaving the team to deal with depression, so the drop off in play the previous four games made sense.

This season, he started off on fire again -- averaging 20 points in his first 11 games...then a couple of off games followed by 11 straight games where he was on the bench but did not play.  The program did not release a reason, only stated it was a coach's decision.  Played in four games toward the end of the season in simply a late game, blowout role.

No clarity on his situation, but he can flat out shoot.  In 63 games, he made 146 threes on 372 attempts (39.2%).

Noah Friedel (shooting guard from South Dakota State) is in the portal.
It's a very strange case.  Friedel will be one of the best shooters in the portal.  He was Summit freshman of the year in 2019-2020, averaging 12.2 points per game and shooting 40% from three.  The next season he picked up where he left off and was averaging 17 ppg in the first 10 games of the year, hitting 34 of 73 from three....and then he had a four game slump, the last of which he only played 17 minutes and was 0 of 7 from the field.  He didn't play the rest of the season and the program stated he was leaving the team to deal with depression, so the drop off in play the previous four games made sense.
This season, he started off on fire again -- averaging 20 points in his first 11 games...then a couple of off games followed by 11 straight games where he was on the bench but did not play.  The program did not release a reason, only stated it was a coach's decision.  Played in four games toward the end of the season in simply a late game, blowout role.
No clarity on his situation, but he can flat out shoot.  In 63 games, he made 146 threes on 372 attempts (39.2%).
Pass. Way to many issues sounds like

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Everyone keeps talking about shooters and I agree we need 1 or 2 pure catch and shoot guys but for me we need more guys that can create for themselves. If X doesn't return then we need a guy that can create for himself and others. The ability for anyone, outside of X, to create separation and make a play on this team is a problem imo. I believe Bates is that type of player but other than that we don't have anyone else. Is JHS that guy?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My guess is that he'll end up somewhere that can afford to not have to count on him and take a chance on him.  He certainly can play.
Yes it sounds like he can shoot but last thing our squad needs at this time Is a gamble on a guy who can't mentally be there for us night in night out

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Everyone keeps talking about shooters and I agree we need 1 or 2 pure catch and shoot guys but for me we need more guys that can create for themselves. If X doesn't return then we need a guy that can create for himself and others. The ability for anyone, outside of X, to create separation and make a play on this team is a problem imo. I believe Bates is that type of player but other than that we don't have anyone else. Is JHS that guy?

Trying not to get off topic, but here is what Jerry Meyer's (247 director) says from October of 2021:

Has a great physical build for a point guard who can also play the two and the three positions. At 6-5 has great strength and a physical presence on the court. Is not an explosive athlete but is a smooth athlete with body control and a feel for changing speeds. Has a burst out of his crafty moves to gain penetration. Can get to the rim and finish while also possessing the ability to find teammates with accurate passes while on the move. Also has a nice pull up jumper, especially going left, but is not known as a long distance shooter. Increasing his shooting range will be pivotal to maxing out on his potential. Handles the ball on a string and is efficient with his dribble game. Projects to be a quality rebounder for his position. Defensively he can control the ball with his size, strength and lateral quickness. Has awareness when defending off the ball.

-------------------

I haven't been able to find stats on him other then his freshman year when he was in North Carolina when he averaged 13 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 4.8 assists.  That year he was 29 of 64 from three.

Trying not to get off topic, but here is what Jerry Meyer's (247 director) says from October of 2021:
Has a great physical build for a point guard who can also play the two and the three positions. At 6-5 has great strength and a physical presence on the court. Is not an explosive athlete but is a smooth athlete with body control and a feel for changing speeds. Has a burst out of his crafty moves to gain penetration. Can get to the rim and finish while also possessing the ability to find teammates with accurate passes while on the move. Also has a nice pull up jumper, especially going left, but is not known as a long distance shooter. Increasing his shooting range will be pivotal to maxing out on his potential. Handles the ball on a string and is efficient with his dribble game. Projects to be a quality rebounder for his position. Defensively he can control the ball with his size, strength and lateral quickness. Has awareness when defending off the ball.
Appreciate it, really do, but it was more of a 'wait and see' type question rather than expecting anyone to have an answer. Anyhow I have high hopes for him but over the last several years I've been spurned by believing an incoming freshman will actually be a major contributor.

15 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Gallo is capable in certain situations but really needs a jumper to be able to use those angles.

7 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Appreciate it, really do, but it was more of a 'wait and see' type question rather than expecting anyone to have an answer. Anyhow I have high hopes for him but over the last several years I've been spurned by believing an incoming freshman will actually be a major contributor.

I will say that Hood-Schifino seems to be physically ahead of most of the guys I've seen us bring in as freshman.  I think that has been a hang up for a lot of them.

54 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Yes.

We need play makers. Guards who can score at all three levels. 

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

We need to get multi dimensional talent. We don’t need a ball handler, or a shooter, or a shot blocker or fill in the blank. We need players that can do a little of everything, Swiss Army knives. 

a 35% 3 point shooter that can also create their own shot, defend, pass, drive is more valuable that a 40% 3 point shooter that stands in the corner and offers nothing else

I don’t disagree, but I will say that guys who TRULY do lots of things very well are hard to find and often not in college long (unless they lack pro-quality size/athleticism).

So on my list above, for example: a do-it-all offensive guard in Pack…who may not give you a ton on defense due to size. A genuinely good 3-and-D wing doesn’t have to be just a standstill shooter…the best version of this type is, like, Khris Middleton. And so on.

Think about this year’s Purdue squad, for example. They’ve got one guy, Ivey, who does it all. Around him they’ve got a huge center who finishes everything at the rim, another center who’s a great passer and a pretty strong finisher, a lunch pail 4 who cans 3s and guards, and other wings/guards who mostly do one or two things well (ball handle, shoot, defend).

IU’s got some guys likely to return who have the start of some versatile skill sets. Can Trey hit 35% of his 3s and get shots up quicker? Can he avoid fouling? Can Scoop put it together? Can Jordan? If a couple of those hit, you’ve suddenly got a few versatile guys and need some fill in pieces.

18 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

All I know is Tamar’s parents VOLUNTARILY called into the Hoosier hysterics Michigan postgame show absolutely ecstatic. 

hysterics straight up asked them how they felt about Tamar not playing and they said of course it’s difficult, but it’s always about the win. 

Fwiw 

Additional positive Tamar indication from his Dad here