Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

The only things to unite an IU fan base. 

1. Winning Streaks

2. Coaching Searches

We can’t have 1, so we will unite again for 2.

It’s time.

PS-A big part of me gutwrenches for Archie because he’s better than this, and I hate to see someone fail so miserably. Self doubt and hate. Can’t be easy for him but I’m not empathetic enough to want him to keep his job. The 2021 recruiting cycle played out almost as though all the recruits already knew. Odd.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I agree on the recruiting cycle being predictable. There is a lack of development that is easy to pick up on. That offense during the Langford year did some damage IMO. In fact, I’d say that was one of the biggest shocks to me in several years. The fact that Romeo decided to choose IU. I think back to how well he and his family navigated that process. I think about how Romeo saw multiple IU games and always said he was watching to see how he would fit into the different systems and coaching styles of the teams that were on his list. I was happy, but stumped when he chose IU. He had to know this offense would be a negative for his particular game.

I wonder now how much the recruiting dip is related to the eye test and specifically the Langford season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The only things to unite an IU fan base.

1. Winning Streaks
2. Coaching Searches

We can’t have 1, so we will unite again for 2.

It’s time.

PS-A big part of me gutwrenches for Archie because he’s better than this, and I hate to see someone fail so miserably. Self doubt and hate. Can’t be easy for him but I’m not empathetic enough to want him to keep his job. The 2021 recruiting cycle played out almost as though all the recruits already knew. Odd.

Honestly might be the best post I've seen in months. You encompassed everything I've been think very sucinctly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I think because of all the optics this year it’s just going to happen. You can’t have the tournament on our home floor and not be in it. Maybe if it was a normal year he would be retained (I would hope not), but he will never ever be able to recover from having tourney games on our home floor and not being in it. It’s just over. I liked the hire at the time and still like Archie as a person, but he’s done. If he somehow gets retained, next year is going to be so ugly. I think, hope, that Dolson and whoever is in the admin realizes this. But I also have zero faith that the people in power at IU can get anything done with purpose. This is the most defeated as a fan I’ve ever been in my life and has me questioning where we even go from here. Sucks. 

Up my friend. We go up from here. IU basketball still matters. If it didn't you wouldn't have all of us talking about it and you sure as hell wouldn't have national writers writing about it.

I just watched Archie’s post game presser.
He looks like he’s going to wave the white flag.
He’s as done with this as anyone.
I didn't watch. You really think he'd leave on his own terms? Or at least with a plea deal lol?

I agree on the recruiting cycle being predictable. There is a lack of development that is easy to pick up on. That offense during the Langford year did some damage IMO. In fact, I’d say that was one of the biggest shocks to me in several years. The fact that Romeo decided to choose IU. I think back to how well he and his family navigated that process. I think about how Romeo saw multiple IU games and always said he was watching to see how he would fit into the different systems and coaching styles of the teams that were on his list. I was happy, but stumped when he chose IU. He had to know this offense would be a negative for his particular game.

I wonder now how much the recruiting dip is related to the eye test and specifically the lander season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree, I think in many ways that Langford season really cost Archie a lot. Missing the tourney. The vocal complaints about the offense always on Twitter. I think it was the beginning of the end in the court of public opinion from many recruits.

Which is a shame, because I think Romeo was a little overrated anyway and didn’t have a tight handle. Him getting drafted #14 was a blessing and probably should have been a victory for the staff. But the narrative about the offense kicked in.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I agree that Archie is better which makes me worry that there is some truth to there being other/admin problems here. But then you look at Crean doing worse now and maybe it is just the wrong guys.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Our administration has not been ideal but I just don’t get how the administration drags down Archie’s offense, year after year, or how the administration causes scoring droughts and four years of perimeter issues.

Did the administration make Archie start the year with 2 open scholarships?  
Michigan needed guards and decided transfer were better than unused scholarships. 2 of their 6 top scorers are transfer guards. I read posts about how “old” UM is compared to us but IU had a higher percentage of scoring returning this year, than UM, but UM picked up 2 senior transfers. UM’s leading scorer is a freshman and Wagner is a sophomore. So three of their top 6 scorers are in their first year in the program and a 4th, Wagner, is in his second year. It shows that positive change can be made relatively quickly and that we don’t need to suck for 4 more years. Kudos  to Howard because, before looking more closely, I thought he was living off Beilien recruits.

Just now, rcs29 said:

I didn't watch. You really think he'd leave on his own terms? Or at least with a plea deal lol?

He should plead guilty to something!

A quick story—a defense attorney once wanted to work out a plea deal and we couldn’t figure out the appropriate charge. This attorney picked up the very thick criminal statutes book, waved it at me and exclaimed “I know you’ve got something in there for my guy!”

Moral of the story—Archie is gonna take an out—I know Scott Dolson and the boosters have something in there for him.

8 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Our administration has not been ideal but I just don’t get how the administration drags down Archie’s offense, year after year, or how the administration causes scoring droughts and four years of perimeter issues.

Did the administration make Archie start the year with 2 open scholarships?  
Michigan needed guards and decided transfer were better than unused scholarships. 2 of their 6 top scorers are transfer guards. I read posts about how “old” UM is compared to us but IU had a higher percentage of scoring returning this year, than UM, but UM picked up 2 senior transfers. UM’s leading scorer is a freshman and Wagner is a sophomore. So three of their top 6 scorers are in their first year in the program and a 4th, Wagner, is in his second year. It shows that positive change can be made relatively quickly and that we don’t need to suck for 4 more years. Kudos  to Howard because, before looking more closely, I thought he was living off Beilien recruits.

Exactly,  This is all on Archie.  He just failed to seize the moment.  Failed to adapt to the Big10 game.  He thought he could do the same stuff he did at Dayton and succeed.  Any future mid-major coach that comes in has to be able to answer the question  -- "how are you going to adapt your success to the Big10."  If he can't answer, move on to the next guy.  

56 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Up my friend. We go up from here. IU basketball still matters. If it didn't you wouldn't have all of us talking about it and you sure as hell wouldn't have national writers writing about it.

I hope you're right, but "IU basketball still matters" to the fans doesn't mean it matters to the players.  I know NOTHING about what it takes to coach/win basketball games, but if we want to return to competing for Big Ten championships and making the NCAA tournament, we need to find a coach who can simply recruit and coach HIS players, not necessarily recruit Indiana and/or 5 star players.

Haven't watched 4 of the last 5 games(only watched Minnesota). Basically been zero point in doing so when you really just know the outcome. 

Normally I'm pretty jazzed up and get the kiddos dressed up in their IU gear on game days. Instead my son went in all of his Lightning McQueen stuff. He at least follows winners I guess. 

It’s bad. I went to bed and didn’t even watch the game. IU will lose to Purdue on Saturday and finish the regular season 12-14 on a five game losing streak. We all know that IU will lose the first game of the B1G tournament as well. The NCAA tournament is in the state this season and IU won’t be in it. That’s embarrassing beyond comprehension. There’s no justifiable reason to bring him back

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Haven't watched 4 of the last 5 games(only watched Minnesota). Basically been zero point in doing so when you really just know the outcome. 

Normally I'm pretty jazzed up and get the kiddos dressed up in their IU gear on game days. Instead my son went in all of his Lightning McQueen stuff. He at least follows winners I guess. 

No wonder we haven’t been winning, you only watch the wins! ....blame it on LCS instead of Archie! 

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

He’s as done with this as anyone. This is gonna end in a mutually agreed upon separation with a large but reduced buyout.

Watch

He looked resigned the entire game. Checked out. 

He’s dead in the water. Announcers take potshots at our inability to get the ball where we want it or goofy spacing. Purdue has had a heyday with the Archie era. Recruiting has slowed to a trickle. B1G coaches just coach around us. 

I wish I knew more of Dolson’s personality. I love that you guys describe him as a huge fan that wants to see IU basketball succeed. Whoever he chooses, the next guy has the tiniest shoes to fill. Like size 6.5. Maybe even youth size. We’ll put up a statue to whoever can drag us back to the tournament. 

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

He’s as done with this as anyone. This is gonna end in a mutually agreed upon separation with a large but reduced buyout.

Watch

I watched that as well, but that Henry question was some bulls***. I don't blame him for a second for getting short after that one. But he's defeated. I'll admit I was a huge fan of the hire initially as it checked a lot of the boxes for me. I think the offensive sets are fine, and the defensive philosophy makes some sense, but when you can't shoot and have poor and inconsistent guard play, it's tough to win. Just a sad end to an already disappointing tenure. To see the players snapping back at coaches the last couple weeks is a terrible look and I'd rather we could avoid the last games, however many there will be.

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Watch

Called it three weeks ago man. Give me credit ;)

1 hour ago, Whoozhers said:

I still think IU should have pulled the trigger on the George Steinbrenner style halftime adjustment and fired Miller and hired Fife.
It’s the only halftime adjustment that makes any sense.

As long as we don't go full Steinbrenner and give someone the Billy Martin treatment.