Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

We Have TWO Open Schollys For Next Year?!?

Archie last night said on his Don Fischer call-in show: "We have two scholarships, actually, for next year that we've held..."

So y'all with Purdu-ish relatives or tendencies, help me with my math:

• We currently have 11 on scholarship
  • We graduate two, leaving 9 free
  • We are currently bringing in 3, which would bring us up to 12
  • The scholarship limit is 13

So how in the heck does Archie think we have 2 still available?!? Freudian slip?

scholarships090219.jpg

Archie last night said on his Don Fischer call-in show: "We have two scholarships, actually, for next year that we've held..."
So how in the heck does Archie think we have 2 still available?!? Freudian slip?

scholarships090219.jpg&key=331b7b60b7a581eb19a465fbf800d9c10579e3dd0972c344c1e7b82cac0da041

I noticed that too. Could really mean he has already been informed of someone’s intent to leave the program and just kinda let it slip.

Or he honestly doesn’t know how many scholarships we have available....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

scholarships090219.jpg

Hmm. What was the additional context? I'd lean toward what he meant was...we have two open scholarships this year that we chose not to fill, therefore holding them for next year. Those two are being filled by two of the three signees we have. Which, if true, just means his wording was a little misleading and there was no hidden intent. Unless he said this line in the context of talking about the three incoming signees and said we've held two additional scholarships open.  

This whole thought crossed my mind as well.

I think he knows we will see “movement”. I don’t think someone has already informed him although I’m sure he knows who it would likely be. I think he was talking about the 2 extras that he held, but the whole thing is a little mysterious. Coaches have to have a VERY firm grasp on this number. Even the fans have a good grasp.

I think he’s recruiting 2 more spots without knowing exactly where the second one is coming from. Maybe he as 3 or 4 openings when it’s all said and done but he’s looking to fill 2. I think that’s the tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I heard his comment and I think he just meant that we have two open right now. I don't think he made a Freudian slip or was insinuating anything. He was just saying they're not done with recruiting -- that they might look at adding a grad transfer or a transfer to the class of Leal and Galloway and Geronimo. 

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we did have a couple extra slots become available after the season -- because of a couple guys leaving who have eligibility remaining.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Smith & Durham should be able to graduate this year. Durham will probably have to take summer classes but Smith should be good to go. 

Yeah, it’s been my feeling that Smith is absolutely going to go, someone is going to be really excited to get him as a grad transfer, and they will learn, as Archie has, the definition of “tease.”

Smith & Durham should be able to graduate this year. Durham will probably have to take summer classes but Smith should be good to go. 

I’m wondering if Anderson will decide to look elsewhere. Not that he’s super unhappy, but maybe needs a reset with how off his shot is/etc.

Also, thanks for all your posts here, greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

How close is Race to graduating since he's been in school 3 years too?

6 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Maybe he's thinking TJD enters the draft?

Within the past week he was quoted in an si.com article that he was coming back because he knows there are things he needs to work on.  Obviously things can change, but that was straight from TJD's mouth that he would be back.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/trayce-jackson-davis-returning-to-indiana-sophomore

12 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’m wondering if Anderson will decide to look elsewhere. Not that he’s super unhappy, but maybe needs a reset with how off his shot is/etc.

Also, thanks for all your posts here, greatly appreciated!

I absolutely think Anderson will leave but that's just my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I absolutely think Anderson will leave but that's just my opinion. 

I still can't figure out what happened with him. He's an Indiana kid who wanted to play at IU. I never actually saw him play in high school, but had seen playoff games streamed and videos of his play (the videos, naturally, are edited to accentuate the positive). He had a nice shot and, I thought, would be a nice piece off the bench. I'm not sure if I ever saw him as a starter, but I figured he could play 20 minutes a game and maybe average 8-10 points. The main knock seemed to be that he needed to get stronger.

My question is this: Did he get too strong? Because now, he's a beast. He was on the air with Fischer during Archie's show one night and said that he tests out as the strongest guy on the team. Did all that weightlifting ruin his shot? In high school, he had some lift on his shots and drifted backward a little after his release. But at IU, he gets about 2 inches off the ground, goes straight up and .. clanks it. Maybe he's got a very fragile ego -- and like a lot of guys on this team, once things start to go wrong, they steamroll? A couple times earlier in the season, he came off the bench and knocked down a couple 3s here and there -- and I hoped he had turned the corner and would be a solid contributor. But now, he couldn't throw the ball into the proverbial ocean. I think it was in the PSU game, he had an open 3 from beyond the top of the key. He totally bricked it. Didn't even hit the rim. It went to the left and was so hard and so long, that I thought it was gonna break the glass. Maybe his talents were overestimated in the first place -- and he's more of a mid-major caliber player? I don't know. His case is very puzzling to me, though.