Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/28 3:30PM ET Indiana at (25) Michigan St. BTN

After blowing out UConn at home last week, the Hoosiers head to East Lansing for their first true road game of the season. We have struggled to get our run game going and we may continue to see those struggles this weekend as MSU boasts one of the best defenses in the country. Added to that, we lost Coy Cronk for the rest of the season, so the OL will be without one of its most experienced leaders. Penix Jr. could return for this game depending on how he feels after returning to practice this week; at the moment coaches are calling it a game-time decision. MSU opened as a 14-pt favorite and ESPN's Football Power Index gives them an 85.6.3% chance of winning on Saturday. In terms of SP+ rankings:

Michigan State (3-1):

• Overall: 20
  • Offense: 87
  • Defense: 1
  • Special Teams: 84

Indiana (3-1):

• Overall: 32
  • Offense: 45
  • Defense: 36
  • Special Teams: 25

We won’t be able to move the ball very efficiently this game, MSU defense is too good. Gonna remind me a bit of the 2017 game up in east Lansing that was a slugfest.

We will have to connect on a few big plays if we want to pull this out.

Sorry Brass, I know you disagree with big plays.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

17 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

We won’t be able to move the ball very efficiently this game, MSU defense is too good. Gonna remind me a bit of the 2017 game up in east Lansing that was a slugfest.

We will have to connect on a few big plays if we want to pull this out.

Sorry Brass, I know you disagree with big plays.

Trying for big plays against elite teams usually results in them. But not necessarily the offense. 

Against this defense, we need to be able to at least keep the defense honest with our run and passing game. If we let them only play us in the box and within ten yards of the line, we’re done.

Hope Penix can play. If he does, I expect him to throw an interception, but still will keep us competitive.

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Anyone heard anything on how Penix has looked in practice?

Have not heard.

All I know is that from what I heard last week behind the scenes is IU is bluffing and injury (def shoulder even though IU won't say) is more serious then they are letting on. Unless something has changed (and it may have) I expect him out until at least after the bye if not a lot longer. 

32 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Have not heard.

All I know is that from what I heard last week behind the scenes is IU is bluffing and injury (def shoulder even though IU won't say) is more serious then they are letting on. Unless something has changed (and it may have) I expect him out until at least after the bye if not a lot longer. 

If he’s practicing it can’t be that serious

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

If he’s practicing it can’t be that serious

We have no evidence he's practicing yet other than Allen saying he would (and that could be a bluff to get MSU thinking he is playing). Something could of changed, but as of last week the vibe I heard behind the scenes is this is more serious then IU is telling us. Hoping he plays but not counting on it till at least after the bye if not longer.  

58 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Would it be a violation to lie about his practice status? I don’t know if those rules exist in college but in the pros that’s a violation and not allowed. So it definitely seems like Penix is practicing.

No there’s no rules on saying you have to release depth or injury chart 

58 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Would it be a violation to lie about his practice status? I don’t know if those rules exist in college but in the pros that’s a violation and not allowed. So it definitely seems like Penix is practicing.

No there’s no rules on saying you have to release depth or injury chart 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If I had to guess today I would say that both QB's play. Penix has thrown a lot this week in practice but he still has shared reps in practice with Ramsey. I will say that Penix arm is alive and well. 

Good to hear that Allen was being truthful and Penix is indeed throwing. I got the vibe last week from a couple people I know it was going to be a while (at least after the bye) but you are more plugged in them I am so it is good to hear your update:).

Just now, Aaron said:

Good to hear that Allen was being truthful and Penix is indeed throwing. I got the vibe last week from a couple people I know it was going to be a while (at least after the bye) but you are more plugged in them I am so it is good to hear your update:).

I was also afraid they were going to wait one more week before having him throw but that wasn't the case. Sometimes in weeks past it's been said he was practicing which meant he was dressed and going through stretching but not doing anything else. This week he has been a full go.