Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Exhibition Game Thread: Marian University

Definitely don't imagine them losing many games that they are supposed to win. Some work to do on D but light years beyond where we were 

Absolutely light years ahead! Not near the confusion! Players knowing what to do and where to go! Very very refreshing and makes me even more excited to go to the 2 games I got tix for!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Idk. The potential and flashes were there to me the whole season, Crean just chose to ignore them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I just don't think he fit within Crean's structure. Not necessarily his of offense or whatever his defense was. Just felt he didn't gel with Crean if that makes sense.

I'm pretty encouraged by that box score, honestly. First game under the new regime. It'll all gel, including the defense.

10 (11?) turnovers is much better than the 15+ we averaged last year. If I remember correctly from the stats I looked at when Archie was hired, his squads averaged about 11 TO/game. 4 or 5 less possessions given away could swing a close game in our favor.

I know some people said they thought we would/should shoot better from 3. Maybe so, but 93 points with 36% from deep isn't bad. I'd rather know we suck from the outside and have efficient inside offense to compensate than live and die by the 3 like we did under CTC. Honestly, it worked out pretty well for UNC two years ago. They were awful from 3 all season, but had the inside efficiency to make up for it, and had Paige get red-hot in the tourney. Not saying we're that caliber team, but I'd rather have an inside first style than the hope and pray chucking we were punished with the past couple of years.

DD and JuMo should have been able to have their way against this Marian squad. We were much bigger. It appears we will be a guard driven team again IMO.

We telegraphed passes to the top of the key often. CuJo at least twice.

Justin Smith had a brainfart pass to the other team for a turnover and Clifton had one to the sideline fans. That's 4-5 of the turnovers. We looked much better in that regard.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It looked like they got off to a slow start and resorted to chucking shots from deep. They improved by the end of the first half as they were attacking the rim. We had good movement but I would like to see some weak side screens to get Davis position on ball side.

It also looked like they were still thinking through the defense. It's not second nature for them yet but I expect that to improve throughout the season.

Green.. thought he would be improved but he looked better than I expected. Hoping to see more of that throughout the season.

RoJo had a slow start last season. He's still an important player on this team. I think having Hartman back will help him out a bit.

Marian hit some contested 3s but also too many wide open shots. I'm sure the defense will improve to shut this down throughout the season.

So pumped for college basketball!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Game is at 8:00. Airing on BTNplus.

My predicted starters

Josh Newkirk
Rob Johnson
Colin Hartman ( if healthy). DG if not
Juwan Mo
DD

Bench order
DG
Justin Smith
Cujo
Freddie Mcswain
Clifton Moore

Limited minutes for Durham, Priller

Pat on back for predicted lineup and bench.

17 assists and 10 turnovers. Fundamental basketball. Something we haven’t seen since 2007. And those numbers will only get better as the season goes along. Fundamentals will be the biggest difference with Archie at the helm. Not too shabby for first actual game