Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Ohio State probably won't even be in the mix. Your ideal playoff is the one that will likely happen. If it doesn't it'll be because Washington also gets left out to put Georgia in but I have a hard time believing they'd leave out 2 undefeated P5 champions. FSU is understandable. FSU and Washington? May as well change the name to the SEC Invitational.

The committee has never left an undefeated power conference team out of the CFP.

Just now, Rico said:

The committee has never left an undefeated power conference team out of the CFP.

They will in a few hours, using FSUs qb situation and SOS as reasons. And they won’t care one bit about setting a precedent, expansion next year renders that a moot point

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

There's a first time for everything and I think this year will be that. The committee doesn't have the balls (and probably doesn't even want) to leave the SEC out. FSU without their starting QB is just the excuse they need.

1 minute ago, johnsoniu said:

They will in a few hours, using FSUs qb situation and SOS as reasons. And they won’t care one bit about setting a precedent, expansion next year renders that a moot point

Well I wouldn't bet on that.

10 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Just a reminder - the committee “claims” (do with that what you will) that their job is to pick the 4 BEST teams, not the 4 most deserving. Meaning, to me, that they can do whatever tf they want with this thing.

If it were truly the 4 best teams, tomorrow they’d be announcing Michigan, Georgia, Bama, and Ohio State. 

My ideal playoff would be Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama as a fan of the sport. I’m a “what have you done for me lately” guy and if not for Travis’ injury, FSU gets the nod over Bama. That Texas/Bama/UGA convoluted mess is…….a mess. 

Agree with this.  I'm not sure it's ever been really clear, either with the football or basketball selection committees, what they mean by the "best" teams.  I've noticed in interviews when they are asked how they determined how one team is better than another, they actually go right back to comparing resumes.  

26 minutes ago, OliviaPope40 said:

The committee isn't even going to consider the sign stealing debacle. 

Nor should they, IMO. If people were to be honest about it, I'd guess it is something that every school does, or at least tries to do.

22 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

Personally I see no way you can leave Texas out. Would argue had they beaten Oklahoma they might be #1.

Ohio St. could say the same thing about Michigan.

For computer-rating geeks like myself, there are a few systems out there that rank teams by "strength of record" or "resume," and I produce some myself.  Every one that's updated so far, including mine, has Washington #1 and Michigan #2.  After that, it's crapshoot.  I have Texas #3 and Alabama #4.   ESPN has Florida State #3 and Alabama #4.  Anderson-Hester has Florida State #3 and Ohio State #4.  Colley Matrix , like mine, has Texas #3 and Alabama #4.  I guess the bottom line is, the committee has a tough job on its hands.

29 minutes ago, Rico said:

Ohio St. could say the same thing about Michigan.

Ohio St is fascinating. They’re every bit as deserving as Georgia and aren’t even gonna get a sniff as the committee does their level best to pretzel logic their way into putting Georgia in. Georgia’s gonna be 4 or 5 and OSU’s gonna be what 7? 

CBS Sports updated prediction has Michigan #1, Washington #2, Florida State #3, Texas #4.

NCAA.com's Stan Becton:  Michigan #1, Washington #2, Florida State #3, Texas #4.

Sporting News:  Michigan #1, Washington #2, Alabama #3, Florida State #4

Fox Sports:  Michigan #1, Washington #2, Alabama #3, Florida State #4

College Football News:  Michigan #1, Washington #2, Texas #3, Alabama #4

On the ESPN college football show, the three results were (in no particular order):

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama

Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Alabama

------------------------------------

Unscientific totals:

Washington and Michigan unanimous choices.  Florida State in on 5 of the 8;  Texas in on 5 of the 8;  Alabama in on 6 on the 8.

13 minutes ago, Demo said:

Ohio St is fascinating. They’re every bit as deserving as Georgia and aren’t even gonna get a sniff as the committee does their level best to pretzel logic their way into putting Georgia in. Georgia’s gonna be 4 or 5 and OSU’s gonna be what 7? 

If Georgia gets in I will be done watching CFB this year.

47 minutes ago, Demo said:

ESPN has started their SEC promoting.  OSU may not likely make it but they act like they aren’t even in the discussion.  What a joke