Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

52 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

The part that confuses me from Dellenger’s twitter thread is that apparently schools in this division would still compete with everyone else for NCAA titles? Everything else seems fairly reasonable considering the office it’s coming from. 

That’s insane if true. As the 4th pick last year, which must be close to Harrison’s landing spot, Anthony Richardson got a signing bonus of 21 mil over the life of the deal. So, what, 6 mil a year or so with salary included? Better be a stronga$$ insurance policy involved as well.

15 minutes ago, Demo said:

That’s insane if true. As the 4th pick last year, which must be close to Harrison’s landing spot, Anthony Richardson got a signing bonus of 21 mil over the life of the deal. So, what, 6 mil a year or so with salary included? Better be a stronga$$ insurance policy involved as well.

Not so crazy. Why shouldn't a top ten team's football revenue, and therefore their player budget rival that of an NFL team? Not sure how college can compete with a multi-year pro deal though.

If open season NIL is what they wanted and what's allowed, this is a logical progression. It's the New York Yankees vs the Oakland A's college football style.

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

I think he's going to go #2. Last year his old QB got $36 million guaranteed at 2. There's just no way, but even if it is true, it would be such a bad idea. Insurance like you said, quality of life, etc. Resources at OSU are not topped at the college level, but still don't compare to NFL resources.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not so crazy. Why shouldn't a top ten team's football revenue, and therefore their player budget rival that of an NFL team? Not sure how college can compete with a multi-year pro deal though.

If open season NIL is what they wanted and what's allowed, this is a logical progression. It's the New York Yankees vs the Oakland A's college football style.

Yeah, I didn’t make that clear at all. Not insane for them to offer it. I’m sure they can. It’d be nuts for him to take it. Risking the possibility of making 9 figures over a career for a de facto guaranteed 1 year deal plus insurance should be a total non-starter for him.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yeah, I didn’t make that clear at all. Not insane for them to offer it. I’m sure they can. It’d be nuts for him to take it. Risking the possibility of making 9 figures over a career for a de facto guaranteed 1 year deal plus insurance should be a total non-starter for him.

So why can't OSU offer him an insurance policy funded by their NIL collective?

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So why can't OSU offer him an insurance policy funded by their NIL collective?

Can they buy it for him directly or would they have to just work it into however payments are made to the player? Seems silly not to be able to.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

They would be short-sighted to stay, imo. More likely to hurt draft position than help and always the possibility of injury. They should go pro. 

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

They would be short-sighted to stay, imo. More likely to hurt draft position than help and always the possibility of injury. They should go pro. 

Agreed.  Plus that NFL pension is amazing.  Start on the pension plan asap

On 12/7/2023 at 11:31 AM, go iu bb said:

I think the NFL will need to change how they do guaranteed money on rookie contracts if they want to prevent this from being a real problem