Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I don't hate the SEC.  It is the best conference in football, although this season I would say that margin is as small as it has been in recent memory.  But you are even saying Alabama should be in over Texas, whom they lost to.  Sagarin rates Texas' SOS as 2nd in the country;  Alabama is 15th.  Texas will move to the #1 SOS after today's championship game, Alabama will move to around 5.  So you are discounting both an undefeated record in one case AND a head to head victory in another case.  Texas had the same record, had BOTH the best regular season AND conference title championship AND a schedule ranked the toughest in the country.  Exactly how are you moving Alabama ahead of Texas? 

Where am I moving Alabama ahead of Texas? Both should be in the playoff. FSU shouldn’t be. If you think FSU should be in because they ‘deserve’ it by going undefeated, fine. But do you think FSU is a top 4 team? 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Where am I moving Alabama ahead of Texas? Both should be in the playoff. FSU shouldn’t be. If you think FSU should be in because they ‘deserve’ it by going undefeated, fine. But do you think FSU is a top 4 team? 

If you are asking me if Florida State would be favored against Alabama on a neutral field -- even if Florida State had their starting QB -- absolutely not.  Washington wouldn't either and they would likely be an underdog playing Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas.  So should we eliminate Washington?  I think you would agree that if Washington and Georgia had a pick 'em line, you'd put money on Georgia over Washington.

It's my opinion that the teams with the best season should be in the BCS, not the ones who would be favored.  If Alabama's fourth and 31 pass had fallen incomplete against Auburn, they are still the same team they are now....but would you argue that if they were 11-2 they should be in over Florida State because they are better than Florida State?  Wins and losses matter IMO.

Just a reminder - the committee “claims” (do with that what you will) that their job is to pick the 4 BEST teams, not the 4 most deserving. Meaning, to me, that they can do whatever tf they want with this thing.

If it were truly the 4 best teams, tomorrow they’d be announcing Michigan, Georgia, Bama, and Ohio State. 

My ideal playoff would be Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama as a fan of the sport. I’m a “what have you done for me lately” guy and if not for Travis’ injury, FSU gets the nod over Bama. That Texas/Bama/UGA convoluted mess is…….a mess. 

18 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Just a reminder - the committee “claims” (do with that what you will) that their job is to pick the 4 BEST teams, not the 4 most deserving. Meaning, to me, that they can do whatever tf they want with this thing.

If it were truly the 4 best teams, tomorrow they’d be announcing Michigan, Georgia, Bama, and Ohio State. 

My ideal playoff would be Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama as a fan of the sport. I’m a “what have you done for me lately” guy and if not for Travis’ injury, FSU gets the nod over Bama. That Texas/Bama/UGA convoluted mess is…….a mess. 

I think you’ll get your wish. 

Bama is in over UGA, and if you put in Bama you HAVE to put in Texas. FSU and OSU are both outside looking in. 
Would be an awful break for the Seminoles

You have to have Michigan and Washington.

Florida State's a Power 5 undefeated conference champion with a fantastic defense.  They're in.

The fourth?  Alabama?  No.  Texas belongs in over them.  Georgia?  Ehhh, their SOS was weak and their game today was too.  Oregon?  They lost twice to Washington.  

I think #4 goes to Ohio State or Texas.  No SEC team this year.  They simply don't deserve it.

18 minutes ago, DoctorP said:

Bama is in over UGA, and if you put in Bama you HAVE to put in Texas. FSU and OSU are both outside looking in. 

It would be a terrible break for them. Probably the first year that someone can truly feel “left out” right? I don’t remember this much debate on the 4th spot in the decade we’ve been doing this. 

53 minutes ago, DoctorP said:

I’ll be pretty shocked if you aren’t right. Assume it will go 1) Michigan. 2) Washington. 3) Texas. 4) Alabama. I just completely disagree with it. That an undefeated team P5 team can be left out for, not 1, but 2 1-loss teams, no. And I hate the whole best vs most deserving argument. The idea of most deserving has a subjective element to it, but just going with “the best” is completely subjective. What if I think Oregon’s better than Texas(I don’t)? Doesn’t matter if they have 2 losses, I just think they’re better. It’s a complete get out of jail free card for the committee to go whatever way they want with no accountability at all. And that’s always gonna benefit the biggest dog in the fight, which in this case is Bama. They would never have the balls to leave the SEC out. 

ok, done ranting. 

I hate the argument that Alabama beat a team that won 29 straight or the last 2 Natty's.  This Georgia team did neither.  So many players have moved on from that lazy statement.

This Alabama team that was a miracle play away from losing to a pitiful Auburn team also was whooped at home.  This Georgia team had a bad SOS and had damn near nothing to do with the last two.

SEC, the exit is to the left.  See you next year

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

They say they pick the 4 next, but every year they pick the most deserving. Greg McElroy pointed it out on Tuesday during the CFP show and Galloway got all huffy for some reason.

I don’t see the love for Texas improving their standing so much by beating an OK St team that got destroyed by South Alabama at home.  Texas may end up being a top four team but that really isn’t super impressive 

3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I don’t see the love for Texas improving their standing so much by beating an OK St team that got destroyed by South Alabama at home.  Texas may end up being a top four team but that really isn’t super impressive 

I think the argument is that if you take Alabama, you have to take Texas. The two played and Texas won by 10 — in Tuscaloosa.

The only way an undefeated power conference team should get left out is when there are 4 other undefeated power conference teams.  That doesn't apply this year nor will it apply next year.

The committee likely will factor FSU not having its QB1 into its decision — at least that will be the convenient excuse. I almost would have the opposite take: to win their final two games -- one a conference title game -- with their second- and third-string QBs shows their strength as a team. 

But I'm about 95 percent certain the committee won't have the guts to exclude Alabama. A college football playoff without an SEC team would be blasphemy in the NCAA's eyes. 

9 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Ohio State probably won't even be in the mix. Your ideal playoff is the one that will likely happen. If it doesn't it'll be because Washington also gets left out to put Georgia in but I have a hard time believing they'd leave out 2 undefeated P5 champions. FSU is understandable. FSU and Washington? May as well change the name to the SEC Invitational.