Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

44 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

He wasn't a standout at ND. He got into trouble at ND and left. He then went to OK St and had a good career there

Not even really a good career at OkSt either...

image.thumb.png.544f5d5ca0c51ed8b443b588bf33a5e5.png

Good assist #'s but not much else. 45% from the FT line is atrocious. 

2 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Not sure why it's so hard to just...hire a basketball coach.

I’ve never been able to figure what makes people think, even guys like Gottlieb who should know better, that just anyone can walk in and coach if they’ve been around the game. And apparently dude thinks it’s a part-time job.

Speaking of men’s programs only in major college sports….It’s time to do a behavioral science study on 1 year and 2 year NIL players (coaches could be included in their own study) who actually develop any kind of love other than self and money towards respective college / university….other than fake things coming out of a player/s (and coach/es) mouth/s.

No connection like it used to be.

Tates Locke died today. He was 87. 

Was head coach at Army in the mid-1960s when he hired a young up-and-comer named Bob Knight to join his staff. Years later, he was RMK's assistant in Bloomington before leaving to take over in Terre Haute. 

Also was a head coach at Miami (Ohio), Clemson, Jacksonville University -- as well as ISU. And spent a little over a half-season as head coach of the NBA's Buffalo Braves (now the L.A. Clippers.) 

RIP

With Bill Walton, you just can't help but think of those somewhat damning words -- What Could Have Been. 

Dude was a phenomenally talented player. But once he got into the NBA, he just couldn't stay healthy. 

I know there were lawsuits and reports of misdiagnoses and all that, I also know the guy could ball. Probably would've been a top 5 all-time center had he not been hurt all the time. Just had a feel for the game most big men don't have. 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh no! Shining through the random, off topic, frustrating announcing was an incredibly sweet natured guy who loved his fellow man.

He will be sorely missed.

Well stated Stu!

Another reminder life is short and cancer sucks.  

very sad news. 

On 4/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, Demo said:

https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/sports/chris-ledlum-jordan-dingle-suing-ncaa-for-extra-year-of-eligibility-at-st-johns/

The Covid year never ends. Chris Ledlum and Jordan Dingle are suing for another year of eligibility because the Ivy League cancelled the 20-21 season. So, in effect, they didn’t get a Covid year. I see their point, but I’m completely over 24-25 year old men playing in college.

Ledlum and Dingle lose in court. They’re done.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Good. I could see that opening a whole new can of worms if they had won.

20 hours ago, Demo said:

I don't think they sued the proper entity.  The NCAA didn't cancel their 20-21 season.  While they couldn't have gotten their season back, they could have attempted to sue the Ivy League for canceling the season.

That said......if they can't beat the NCAA in court, NO WAY are they going to beat the Ivy League.