Pagoda Posted September 10 Posted September 10 22 minutes ago, go iu bb said: Forward thinking and effective governing are descriptors that have never been used for the NCAA. Too much inertia to expect a change now. They're hoping for a Bail Mary like Michigan got because that's the only way the institution will survive. Ingrained into the NCAA is the idea that everything must be at the cost of the athletes. I agree I’d just like to note this includes all the member institutions. It’s the schools that avoided paying their labor for decades which led to this messy system. And they can’t follow rules they agree to, govern themselves, or spend responsibly. str8baller, HoosierHoopster, go iu bb and 1 other 4 Quote
go iu bb Posted September 10 Posted September 10 6 minutes ago, Pagoda said: I agree I’d just like to note this includes all the member institutions. It’s the schools that avoided paying their labor for decades which led to this messy system. And they can’t follow rules they agree to, govern themselves, or spend responsibly. Oh, absolutely. They were the ones who profited the most off of the old model and also fought tooth and nail to avoid having the athletes be considered any kind of employee. Home Jersey and HoosierHoopster 2 Quote
Home Jersey Posted September 10 Posted September 10 Which is why I'm broadly in favor of decoupling the revenue sports from the universities. Hardwood83 1 Quote
Brass Cannon Posted September 10 Posted September 10 The class thing hall has been an issue for decades. I remember Matt Leinart took only ballroom dancing his senior season Quote
skhoosier2 Posted September 10 Posted September 10 3 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said: Yeah, I have 2 kids at IU, and there are players in their classes. One of my kids is in a group project with a football player. So the narrative that they don’t go to class isn’t true, at least at IU. And remote classes still count as classes. We have a family member that was in athletics at OSU. All online classes. Paid out of state tuition for online classes and not many majors fit in their athletic schedules, so they end up with communications degrees or some other BS they don't want or isn't useful after. It was alot of money for the family to pay. They did it. Was great opportunity but the kid was always stressed and did not have time for anything but sports. School was an after thought. IUHoosierJoe 1 Quote
HoosierHoopster Posted September 10 Posted September 10 5 minutes ago, skhoosier2 said: We have a family member that was in athletics at OSU. All online classes. Paid out of state tuition for online classes and not many majors fit in their athletic schedules, so they end up with communications degrees or some other BS they don't want or isn't useful after. It was alot of money for the family to pay. They did it. Was great opportunity but the kid was always stressed and did not have time for anything but sports. School was an after thought. Then again there are plenty of D1 athletes that finish with strong and even exceptional academics in good degree programs (and I roomed with a couple back in the day). It takes extreme discipline to be a good D1 player in almost any sport and do well academically— it’s like 2 jobs — no doubt, but there are lots of athletes who do, just as there are lots who don’t Quote
skhoosier2 Posted September 10 Posted September 10 3 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said: Then again there are plenty of D1 athletes that finish with strong and even exceptional academics in good degree programs (and I roomed with a couple back in the day). It takes extreme discipline to be a good D1 player in almost any sport and do well academically— it’s like 2 jobs — no doubt, but there are lots of athletes who do, just as there are lots who don’t OSU doesn't give the time for you to choose nursing or design or dental for example. They will not work around your schedule. Plenty of other schools do (my family has friends at other schools that girls are majoring in nursing for instance and playing a sport). OSU treats their athletes WELL but does not care about academics when it comes to scheduling or anything else. Their practice schedule comes first. I was specifically referencing OSU since I knew what it was like from our family there. I have no doubt there are plenty of student athletes that go on to do great things as we know first hand it takes alot to be a D1 athlete. Many however struggle as it's like having a full time job and going to school. I commend anyone that does it. It's not for the faint of heart. HoosierHoopster 1 Quote
Hovadipo Posted September 15 Posted September 15 This tweet was made for @Demo Stuhoo and Demo 2 Quote
Stuhoo Posted September 15 Posted September 15 12 minutes ago, Hovadipo said: This tweet was made for @Demo Sure—for Demo, hoping it’s okay for all of us to enjoy it a bunch. That’s some primo stuff from the MussBus. WayneFleekHoosier 1 Quote
Stuhoo Posted September 15 Posted September 15 https://nypost.com/2026/09/14/sports/usc-coach-eric-musselman-launched-racist-tirade-at-star-player-lawsuit/ Lots of good fodder to parse out this ‘when idiots collide’ situation. Quote
Hovadipo Posted September 15 Posted September 15 6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said: https://nypost.com/2026/09/14/sports/usc-coach-eric-musselman-launched-racist-tirade-at-star-player-lawsuit/ Lots of good fodder to parse out this ‘when idiots collide’ situation. I suppose racism can come in a lot of different forms, but uh…Musselman’s wife makes that one kinda hard to believe. Stuhoo and Muskie plays the four 2 Quote
spe317 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 35 minutes ago, Hovadipo said: I suppose racism can come in a lot of different forms, but uh…Musselman’s wife makes that one kinda hard to believe. “Wow Coach, do you need me to leave,” Baker-Mazara allegedly responded, “because I don’t understand this animosity.” Why, yes, that does sound exactly like a 26 year old basketball player. Class of '66 Old Fart, Stuhoo and Pagoda 3 Quote
Demo Posted September 15 Posted September 15 10 hours ago, Hovadipo said: This tweet was made for @Demo In fairness to Muss they may have had some unresolved issues from when they were teammates in college. Hovadipo, HoosierHoopster, ronzo4IU and 4 others 1 1 5 Quote
Uspshoosier Posted September 15 Posted September 15 HoosierHoopster, Demo, RaceToTheTop and 1 other 4 Quote
RaceToTheTop Posted September 17 Posted September 17 On 9/15/2026 at 6:53 AM, Demo said: In fairness to Muss they may have had some unresolved issues from when they were teammates in college. DiscoverDegree Programs The quote had to be fake. Baker Mazera is from Pangea. Quote
str8baller Posted September 22 Posted September 22 16 hours ago, Home Jersey said: There should definitely be a B1G-SEC challenge. Home Jersey 1 Quote
Home Jersey Posted September 24 Posted September 24 https://africa.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/50015860/lsu-wade-going-player-eligibility-concerns LSU's Will Wade 'going for it,' despite player eligibility concerns “I'm not hiding from this," Wade said. "What we're doing is unconventional. I understand that. But 20 years ago, Airbnb was unconventional. Everybody stayed in a hotel. Fifteen years ago, you rode in a taxi everywhere. Now you take Uber. Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it's not going to work. "It may not work. If it doesn't, write about what an idiot I am. I understand that." "Hell, what's the downside," Wade said. "I don't see much downside. We've given ourselves a chance at incredible upside and if we're no good, all right, we just got to live through one more bad year. We've had a few of them. We'll live through one more bad one and we'll get it going next year. We'll do it conventionally and we'll get a bunch of high school five-stars and go do what we do. We can do that, too. "But that's not the best way to get it going right now. This is the best way we thought to get it going right now." Quote
Pagoda Posted September 24 Posted September 24 7 hours ago, Home Jersey said: “I'm not hiding from this," Wade said. "What we're doing is unconventional. I understand that. But 20 years ago, Airbnb was unconventional. Everybody stayed in a hotel. Fifteen years ago, you rode in a taxi everywhere. Now you take Uber. Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it's not going to work. If you want to make an accurate biz analogy Will: you’re in a classic regulatory fight, which is quite conventional. Quote
Class of '66 Old Fart Posted September 24 Posted September 24 Borzello - Nevada head coach Steve Alford will retire after the 2026-27 season, the school announced. This will be his eighth season with the Wolf Pack and 36th season as a college coach. "After 36 years, I feel like this is the right time to step away from the bench," Alford said. str8baller, RaceToTheTop and Demo 3 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.