Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Unexpectedflash

Expectations for the 24-25 Season

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

I think most of Torvik's projections are based on efficiency and Purdue returns a bunch of efficient players. What Torvik's model doesn't factor is that a lot of those players were efficient for one reason; Edey. Going to find out real quick the dynamic of that team when Edey is no longer A, B, and C on the scouting report (See the national title game).

In all honesty, Painter has completely elevated the floor of that program. I think they'll take a step back this year and rightfully so, but they'll still have a high floor and don't foresee them falling completely off that map.

But we can hope!

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Just for fun, Bart Torvik's 2025 rankings are up . You have to click on Funalytics at the top to get to it.

IU is currently at 20 with the roster additions. I think that is pretty reasonable. 

What is funny though is MSU is at 18, and their best player currently is Jaden Akins. The rest are a bunch of former top 75 guys who haven't done squat in college. I have no idea how that roster equates to 18, even with last year acting as a base.

You can drill down into individual player expectations a bit which is interesting, at least for this nerd. It helps provide some context for how the aggregated projection is put together.

3 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

You can drill down into individual player expectations a bit which is interesting, at least for this nerd. It helps provide some context for how the aggregated projection is put together.

Yep, I am a huge bart torvik fan. I love kenpom, but you gotta pay for the same level of info Bartholomew gives you for free. 

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Just for fun, Bart Torvik's 2025 rankings are up . You have to click on Funalytics at the top to get to it.

IU is currently at 20 with the roster additions. I think that is pretty reasonable. 

What is funny though is MSU is at 18, and their best player currently is Jaden Akins. The rest are a bunch of former top 75 guys who haven't done squat in college. I have no idea how that roster equates to 18, even with last year acting as a base.

20-11 11-9  and a 3 way tie for 5th in the B1G would be a disaster.

So about right.

we will have arguably one of the most solid backcourts in the country imo- Rice, Carlyle, Galloway

one of the best frontcourt combos too- Malik, Ballo.

on top of that we have some other nice pieces- Tucker, Mgbako, (Goode?)

On paper this is a top 25 team easily.

What JHS was able to do here I think Rice and Carlyle can produce something similar and with more depth and athleticism than that team...I would think a S16 appearance or E8 shouldn't be a surprise here if things break our way as they always need to to some degree for tourney success. 

Top 3 finish in B1G would be my expectation certainly with this roster talent.

Expectations in the B1G are hard to set with how unbalanced schedules are, the top couple of teams could just luck out with an easy schedule, plus there is added variance with the cross country travel they will be doing. I also think we should temper expectations for the Bahamas, we have a lot of newcomers and it may take some time to come together. Remember we did not play well in Maui in 2016 but pulled it together after and won the Big Ten. That being said, I think the minimal expectation should be a 6 seed in the NCAAT with all the talent we have. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

23 wins with this roster is kind of setting the bar a little low

Yeah but how many wins can we get if we only shoot long 2's? Other teams will never see it coming!

Win the B10 title. Make at least the S16. That'd be a "good" year. Should be 100% doable with the projected rotation. 

What do I expect? To be underwhelmed... 

Happy to get talented players, but until we see the team blow out cupcakes in buy games I feel more hopeful than optimistic per se. I think the team will be better, but being better than last year is not enough (obviously). 

27 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Win the B10 title. Make at least the S16. That'd be a "good" year. Should be 100% doable with the projected rotation. 

What do I expect? To be underwhelmed... 

Happy to get talented players, but until we see the team blow out cupcakes in buy games I feel more hopeful than optimistic per se. I think the team will be better, but being better than last year is not enough (obviously). 

Scale that season 1-10

With new guys in the backcourt and a different type of guy in the paint, I expect a disjointed early part of the season. After that, it all depends on how well roles are established and how much the players buy-in. The talent and depth should be there for a great season but talent isn't everything. All in all, I expect a better season. By how much, I have no idea.

$6,000,000 of Cook/Simon money, and we are good with something less than the Big10 Championship?  How far the mighty have fallen.  Who can beat us?  Are we still going to struggle with NW, Wis, Nebraska?  An Edeyless Purdue?  OSU and Mich in rebuild mode?  The Pac teams?  Are we just running in place?  

10 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How far the mighty have fallen.

This program has been down for 25 years not sure how much further down they got to go for people to realize that.  Doesn’t matter how much money is spent nothing is guaranteed.  The program you are invested in is right now a middle of the pack B1G team trying to gain momentum to try and get back to where they once were.  People talking about bar being low with 23 wins however past History tells you that the last  time IU won over 23 games was 2014-15.  Reality stinks but that’s where this program is right now no matter how much money is being spent 

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

$6,000,000 of Cook/Simon money, and we are good with something less than the Big10 Championship?  How far the mighty have fallen.  Who can beat us?  Are we still going to struggle with NW, Wis, Nebraska?  An Edeyless Purdue?  OSU and Mich in rebuild mode?  The Pac teams?  Are we just running in place?  

Jeez dude is part of that money coming out of your paycheck or something? 

I don’t change much.

Top 3 in old B1G, top 4-5 in new B1G. Top 25 to start season. Top 25 to end season. Enjoyable games, fun to watch wins. Make the fans proud on and off the court.

This is my hopeful annual expectation each season.

This roster should be striving for winning it all and internally I think they are. I expect results less than the staff thinks we are capable of.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

This program has been down for 25 years not sure how much further down they got to go for people to realize that.  Doesn’t matter how much money is spent nothing is guaranteed.  The program you are invested in is right now a middle of the pack B1G team trying to gain momentum to try and get back to where they once were.  People talking about bar being low with 23 wins however past History tells you that the last  time IU won over 23 games was 2014-15.  Reality stinks but that’s where this program is right now no matter how much money is being spent 

Not meaning to derail the thread but all the program needs at this point is the right coach.

I’ll take a slight issue with the idea the program has been down for 25 years. It hasn’t. The program righted ship under Crean and won B1G championships and had multiple SW16 runs - that’s not down. It wasn’t competing for NC’s but it absolutely was one of the better teams in the country with Cody, Vic et al and the OG team - but Crean wasn’t right to keep the rebuild back to consistent contender. Where the program flat out blew it was the CAM hire — the program was right the on the cusp of being consistently elite if the right guy had been hired. Then they hired Woodson, no need to flog that dead horse, he’s doing great in the portal right now but nothing in 3 years says he’s the guy - but again, just considering the guys committing and the usual talent in the region, right guy and the program would almost immediately be back to NC competing.