Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Unexpectedflash

Expectations for the 24-25 Season

Dominate the bottom two in the conference. Win the Wednesday game and get hammered on the 2nd day. Refuse the CBI or NIT invite. Blame the non-true fans for continued losing. Give Woodson another big raise and extension.

You can buy all the talent in the world but if you don't have the right leadership and system you ain't going anywhere. 

Top 2 in the conference and I don't mean finishing 2nd by going 12-8.
Don't get blown out in non-conference games by 25. 
A good showing in the Bahamas
At least Saturday of the BTT
Second weekend of the NCAAT
Very reasonable expectations.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Geez ... if we go 16-4 in conference you're not satisfied with the result?

Holy hell that's a high standard. 16-4  (and 15-5) is a higher conference winning percentage than half of our last ten B1G championship teams and two of our last three Final Four teams. And a 16-4 conference record would be unsatisfactory for you? You are more than entitled to your opinion but that's a lot.

Purdue went 17-3.  Are we not better than them?  Uconn went 18-2.  Huston 15-3.  NC 17-3.  Just spent top 5 NIL money.  Let's be a top 5 team on the court where it matters.  High expectations are the lifeblood of champions.  

10 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Dominate the bottom two in the conference. Win the Wednesday game and get hammered on the 2nd day. Refuse the CBI or NIT invite. Blame the non-true fans for continued losing. Give Woodson another big raise and extension.

You can buy all the talent in the world but if you don't have the right leadership and system you ain't going anywhere. 

Reality bites.  :)  

Posted (edited)

I think a REALLY interesting question is “given the investment and influx of talent, what is an acceptable floor for this team?”. And my acceptable I mean “how well does this team have to do to continue to keep Woodson?”.

I think a reasonable line here is a 6-seed in the tourney as that implies we’re a top-25 team. Not perfect by any means, but I’d be happy with it after enduring last season.

I do worry that “make the tournament” will be seen as enough and the excuses will flow. Hopefully we have so much success that we all become big Mike Woodson fan boys by the middle of the B1G season and avoid these types of awful discussions next year/offseason.

Edited by Juwan Moye

....win the games we're supposed to win.

....if/when we lose to a good/better team keep it within 5-7 pts.

....don't get blown out at home.

....show fight, toughness and emotion!

....I want our resume' to easily get us in to the NCAA tourney, no questions.

....finally, I want all teams to hate having to play us, especially the NCAA tourney.

That's not too much to ask, huh fellas?

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

55-0  IU has been a championship level program the last 25 years so they should figure it out and find a way to win 20 extra games in a 35 game schedule.  6 mil roster no one should expect anything less then 55-0 

Kinda where I am... but let's go ahead and include the 2 exhibitions, 57-0. 

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

55-0  IU has been a championship level program the last 25 years so they should figure it out and find a way to win 20 extra games in a 35 game schedule.  6 mil roster no one should expect anything less then 55-0 

Ooooh ... I wanna try!

• Purdue was undefeated in games against us where they started a 7'4" returning national player of the year.
  • We should be better than Purdue, so
  • We should have expectations that this year we will start a 7'5" returning national player of the year.
  • Anything less will be an embarrassment.

Expectations by talent: Slightly better season than last with a down B1G. Sweet 16 loss.

Expectation by roster and STAFF:  A bit better with some big losses starting in the Bahamas.

More perplexed frustration.

A hump that seems to continually move down the road like a highway mirage.

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

In all honesty I haven’t read through this thread I was just having some fun but I think these expectation threads are silly when it’s April and you have no idea what other teams have in their roster or what IU will have on their roster. Middle of the pack programs don’t usually jump to the front of the line just because they spent more money.  A lot to play out.  Don’t the Yankees and Dodgers and other high market teams  spend a boatload of money and still under preform?   It’s still a crap shoot as to how things turn out.   I wouldn’t care if IU finished 9th in conference as long as they were only a few games back.  I would rather finish 9th and 4 games back than finishing 2nd and being 7 games back.   Early 2000 I believe IU finished tied for 2nd but was like 7 back of Sparty 

Just for fun, Bart Torvik's 2025 rankings are up . You have to click on Funalytics at the top to get to it.

IU is currently at 20 with the roster additions. I think that is pretty reasonable. 

What is funny though is MSU is at 18, and their best player currently is Jaden Akins. The rest are a bunch of former top 75 guys who haven't done squat in college. I have no idea how that roster equates to 18, even with last year acting as a base.

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Just for fun, Bart Torvik's 2025 rankings are up . You have to click on Funalytics at the top to get to it.

IU is currently at 20 with the roster additions. I think that is pretty reasonable. 

What is funny though is MSU is at 18, and their best player currently is Jaden Akins. The rest are a bunch of former top 75 guys who haven't done squat in college. I have no idea how that roster equates to 18, even with last year acting as a base.

Or Purdue at 5

14 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Or Purdue at 5

So I'm assuming that is primarily based on returning players who won a ton. 

Purdue will be an interesting case study next year; an excellent coach and tons of surrounding pieces returnees, but missing the player that changed everything, along with their best perimeter defender and the conference sixth man of the year.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So I'm assuming that is primarily based on returning players who won a ton. 

Purdue will be an interesting case study next year; an excellent coach and tons of surrounding pieces returnees, but missing the player that changed everything, along with their best perimeter defender and the conference sixth man of the year.

I think most of Torvik's projections are based on efficiency and Purdue returns a bunch of efficient players. What Torvik's model doesn't factor is that a lot of those players were efficient for one reason; Edey. Going to find out real quick the dynamic of that team when Edey is no longer A, B, and C on the scouting report (See the national title game).

In all honesty, Painter has completely elevated the floor of that program. I think they'll take a step back this year and rightfully so, but they'll still have a high floor and don't foresee them falling completely off that map.

Going to be an interesting year. At this point I don’t see a team on paper better than what IU has. It’s why I said my expectations are to win the conference. Its put up and shut up time. The boosters are spending Iike it’s put up time. So let’s see a high bar and achieve it. 

58 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Or Purdue at 5

I will eat my hat if they are Top 10 next year.  Painter is a good coach and they will have a decent year but I bet they are more in the 25 to 30 range than the 5 to 10.  Their entire team gets guarded completely different with the loss of Edey.

I will eat my hat if they are Top 10 next year.  Painter is a good coach and they will have a decent year but I bet they are more in the 25 to 30 range than the 5 to 10.  Their entire team gets guarded completely different with the loss of Edey.
I bet purdue is ranked top 20 by the end of he year. Painter is a great coach

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Right now:

Fair Expectations: 

1) Be a legit contender for the Big Ten Title. I won't list a place, but I think either be at the top or within 2 games of the top team. In 22-23, they finished 3 games Purdue. If I remember right there were a ton of 10-12 win teams in the Big Ten that year. 

2) Two of Myles Rice, Kanaan Carlyle, and Mackenzie Mgbako will all be at least 35% + 3 point shooters. 

3) Win at least one game in the NCAA Tournament. It is too early to tell the national landscape for next year. Also, we have no idea who they would be playing. Add in that this team has never played together before. I'll probabably get crushed for saying this. However, the highest I've seen IU in these "way too early" polls is 19. That's a second round team, 5 seed if you are going off expectations. 

Overall.. I think they will be a preseason top 20 team and top 4 in the Big Ten Preseason Polls. 

Wishes

1) Win a share of the Big Ten Regular Season or Big Ten Tournament. About time that happens. 

2) This be the deepest IU team in over 30 years. With a few potential additions our top 10 could be looking nice. That being said...we said this in 2013, 2019, and 2023. I want to see it first. 

3) Make AT least the Sweet 16. It is hard to project how they'll do in the NCAA Tournament. Look at this year. Several top ten teams got bounced (UNC, Arizona, Houston*, Iowa State, and Marquette). Make the Sweet 16 and anything can happen. That being said, 2002 was the last time IU made even the Elite 8, yet alone Final game. They are due. 

IMO it comes down to this...IU needs several guys to become legit threats from three point range. I think Rice, Carlyle, and Mgbako have potential. Malik and Trey are capable. Add in Goode and/or Anderson potentially. If this happens, I think they have the potential to make the Final Four. I can't say win it all yet because, we have never seen them play before. I'll say this portal season has been a home run. I wish one of our main additions was already a proven 3 point shooter. But I can't complain.  They deserve credit for a much better showing in the portal this year. At minimum, it has me excited for next season.