Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Fair point....except we didn't bring in seven players in the portal last year and of the players that we've heard that IU has been in contact with, I believe 9 of the 11 are guards.  That wasn't the case last year.

It wasn’t as bad last year but they still had 5 open scholarships to fill last spring. They filled those with zero guards despite going after many of them. They’ll get a couple of guards this year by necessity but I would be shocked if they’re better than what we lose in Xavier. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It wasn’t as bad last year but they still had 5 open scholarships to fill last spring. They filled those with zero guards despite going after many of them. They’ll get a couple of guards this year by necessity but I would be shocked if they’re better than what we lose in Xavier. 

I would say your bar is very low if you think we won't get guards better than a player coming off of a major injury that was just an okay starter.

No one is arguing that Woodson failed in the roster construction in terms of guards last year.  But early indications do seem to be that they are at least prioritizing guards in the portal in terms of who they are contacting.

My expectation (not saying what I think they should do, but what I expect) -- two or three guards, a post, a backup PF/C, and a wing.  I do not expect a wholehearted change where we don't have Reneau playing alongside a big, but rather more time where one of the bigs is out and MM moves to the 4 (assuming MM is back, which I think he will be).  I stated earlier that the hope for the team having a better perimeter game will be to bring in guards who can actually shoot the ball as well as Reneau becoming more a dual inside/outside threat.  Let's face it, the key is to bring in guards that can shoot.  Even if the lineup includes MM at the 4 and Reneau at the 5, unless 1-3 can shoot playing only one big doesn't make the team a perimeter threat.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A Twitter Woodson apologist who seems to have some insider info suggested it.

Also said Cliff O has something lined up prior to hitting portal (not IU)

I fully expect Woodson to try to find a starting 5 and and backup 5. Not sure who he’ll be using the Royce Rolls budget on yet.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think I know what account you’re talking about. I have no idea what it is but they seem to have been right about pretty much every claim they’ve made. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A Twitter Woodson apologist who seems to have some insider info suggested it.

Also said Cliff O has something lined up prior to hitting portal (not IU)

I fully expect Woodson to try to find a starting 5 and and backup 5. Not sure who he’ll be using the Royce Rolls budget on yet.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Who’s is cliff o?

9 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

My expectation (not saying what I think they should do, but what I expect) -- two or three guards, a post, a backup PF/C, and a wing.  I do not expect a wholehearted change where we don't have Reneau playing alongside a big, but rather more time where one of the bigs is out and MM moves to the 4 (assuming MM is back, which I think he will be).

That’s a bit of a half measure. I don’t hate it and advocated for it last year as a key rotation. But, if that’s the current plan you’re still only offering up one starting spot to transfer guards. That’s going to lessen the quality of the transfer haul versus making the change permanent and offering up two starting perimeter spots.  

I think it’ll be tough to get the number of quality guards and shooters we need only offering one starting spot. In terms of quality of backups we got Sparks and Walker last year. That’s about what type of backup guards I would expect to get offering up 5-15min or so a night. 

It’s Friday, staff has had a week to do work.  Let’s not pretend people weren’t talking before Monday.  My brackets busted, my bets all lost, I need an average mid major player to commit today to IU so we can over analyze, over hype and claim him and 6 others we need to sign just like him to be 50% better than they are, exactly what we needed, and we now have a final 4 caliber team for next year, LFG!!!

4 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

It’s Friday, staff has had a week to do work.  Let’s not pretend people weren’t talking before Monday.  My brackets busted, my bets all lost, I need an average mid major player to commit today to IU so we can over analyze, over hype and claim him and 6 others we need to sign just like him to be 50% better than they are, exactly what we needed, and we now have a final 4 caliber team for next year, LFG!!!

I think most players will take a visit before committing like Walker from EKU. He's going to visit IU and Depaul before deciding.

Your bracket is busted because you picked UK? Come on your better than that. 

Happy Friday!!

17 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Markquis Nowell says hi.  Can't paint every player with a broad brush.

And no, not saying that it is the norm or that Leland Walker fits the Nowell mold.  

Man it's crazy how poor these boards judge talent and project. They don't watch anyone play-- they just look at stats and think that tells them the story. 

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe Leland Walker ends up with an offer and maybe he doesn't.  Portal's only been officially open 4 days and there will be a whole lot of additional names in the portal by this time next week.  I'd be far more concerned if we'd already signed him up without waiting to see what the rest of the menu looks like.

That strategy burned us last year. Do any of our guards avg what he avged at EKU last year? Mayyyyyyybe Trey, maybe. 

16 hours ago, sirhoosierlot said:

I personally would like to see Cupps play off the ball more. He’s not a creator with the ball but I think he can grow into a spot up shooter, or more into a combo guard roll like Jordy was. 

He and Jordy don't really have similar games though. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Man it's crazy how poor these boards judge talent and project. They don't watch anyone play-- they just look at stats and think that tells them the story. 

That strategy burned us last year. Do any of our guards avg what he avged at EKU last year? Mayyyyyyybe Trey, mayne. 

I think trey does, but imo Cupps wouldn't have been close. I am confident he wouldn't have averaged 9ppg as a freshman at EKU like walker did.

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I think trey does, but imo Cupps wouldn't have been close. I am confident he wouldn't have averaged 9ppg as a freshman at EKU like walker did.

Spot on. 

There is also a human element to all of this, in more ways than one. 

This is where the "vetting" process, the scouting process needs to come into play and why I want a director of scouting position. 

I will also mention-- EKU won their league, not the tourney this year. 

His stats are basically identical to Xavier’s stats coming from Pitt. Maybe he is a mid-major guy who comes to a P5 school and excels. Those guys do exist, but they’re the exception. It’d be nice to get some proven commodities, though. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

His stats are basically identical to Xavier’s stats coming from Pitt. Maybe he is a mid-major guy who comes to a P5 school and excels. Those guys do exist, but they’re the exception. It’d be nice to get some proven commodities, though. 

The stats probably don't tell the story. Good scouting and vetting would know that either way. 

I'm not sure what proven means, if LW isn't. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I think most players will take a visit before committing like Walker from EKU. He's going to visit IU and Depaul before deciding.

Your bracket is busted because you picked UK? Come on your better than that. 

Happy Friday!!

Happy Friday Chris. Does Depaul even have a coach yet? The visuals of a player visiting Depaul and IU don't sit well with me. I don't personally want any player that's considering Depaul lol