Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

If Carlyle, Rice, Ballo happen. That’s our projected “possible starters”.

Grace college BIG is high likelihood to be a backup.

MAYBE 1 more guard. 1 more “shooter Wing” maybe.

Color me curious what they are trying to cook up.

As I said a month ago, Cupps may be our Essegian this year and that would be a good thing. Perfect depth piece though. Want to see Newton play at some point.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Tubelis was a better version of Malik, didn’t insinuate otherwise, but their roles were eerily similar. They didn’t play 4 out. They played essentially two traditional bigs and made it work because they had guards (multiple) who could create their own shot. IU has had one guard in 3 years capable of doing such at a high level. 

I hope you’re right. Tubelis was WAY better than Malik ever will be and could create and drive from the top of the key. If Malik tries to make any moves/drives from the top of the key, it’s almost always a turnover. I want to be wrong so bad. I really do, just having a hard time grasping having the same philosophy that didn’t do squat last year and made my eyes bleed.

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

It’s not a completely different offensive system other than playing at a faster tempo. A more effective version sure, they had better guards. That’s obvious. 

It is though. Woodson plays through the post, we shoot from outside by volume at the bottom of DI ball. What remains to be seen is whether Woodson will wake up from 70s-80s basketball and emphasize outside shooting.

28 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It is though. Woodson plays through the post, we shoot from outside by volume at the bottom of DI ball. What remains to be seen is whether Woodson will wake up from 70s-80s basketball and emphasize outside shooting.

You act as if playing through the post is some archaic system. News flash, there are literally dozens among dozens of teams “who play through the post” that still emphasize shooting from the perimeter, namely the two teams who played for the national title game Monday night. Also that Arizona team with Tubelis and Ballo included.

“Playing through the post” does not literally mean ball goes in and doesn’t come out, no matter how much you want to think it does. I’m not sure what you saw out of our back court this last season that would make you think taking MORE perimeter shots would have lead to a better outcome? The personnel simply did not exist with that fault laying at the feet of Woodson.

The new wave of guards the staff are coveting are of a completely different dynamic. Three level scorers of who can not only create for themselves but for others. I would expect the volume of perimeter shots to increase exponentially next year if we land our priority targets.

15 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

You act as if playing through the post is some archaic system. News flash, there are literally dozens among dozens of teams “who play through the post” that still emphasize shooting from the perimeter, namely the two teams who played for the national title game Monday night. Also that Arizona team with Tubelis and Ballo included.

“Playing through the post” does not literally mean ball goes in and doesn’t come out, no matter how much you want to think it does. I’m not sure what you saw out of our back court this last season that would make you think taking MORE perimeter shots would have lead to a better outcome? The personnel simply did not exist with that fault laying at the feet of Woodson.

The new wave of guards the staff are coveting are of a completely different dynamic. Three level scorers of who can not only create for themselves but for others. I would expect the volume of perimeter shots to increase exponentially next year if we land our priority targets.

Because 32% and 28% warrant that? I'm not sure what you've seen from those two to suggest shooting MORE perimeter shots is a recipe for success. 

Would love to see UCONNs stats regarding % of plays in the post if that stat exist. I didn’t watch a lot of UCONN this season but I didn’t see a lot of tossing it into the post and standing around waiting for Clingan to shoot. Having a 4 that can shoot from outside helps along with attacking guards and wings that can score. Basically, they were exactly like IU in that they put 5 players on the court.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would love to see UCONNs stats regarding % of plays in the post if that stat exist. I didn’t watch a lot of UCONN this season but I didn’t see a lot of tossing it into the post and standing around waiting for Clingan to shoot. Having a 4 that can shoot from outside helps along with attacking guards and wings that can score. Basically, they were exactly like IU in that they put 5 players on the court.

Clingan was the highest usage player on the team this last season as was Sonogo the year prior. 

And your comment is exactly what I’m talking about, passing it into the post and waiting for your 5 to shoot isn’t what playing through the post means.

9 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

Because 32% and 28% warrant that? I'm not sure what you've seen from those two to suggest shooting MORE perimeter shots is a recipe for success. 

Again, from Freshman. Carlyle’s volume and efficiency numbers were identical to that of Fletcher Loyer his freshman season. Rice shot ~35% for nearly 80% of the season before he ended in a terrible slump. Unless you think freshman are capped after their first season, I’m not sure what else to tell you. I’d suggest you watch film on either instead of looking at box scores.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Yes, but U Conn won for more than the reason that didn't throw it into the post as much as IU.  One of the biggest offensive factors was that despite the fact that U Conn ran a VERY slow pace -- their tempo rate was 330th in the nation -- that they didn't turn the ball over much at all.  And they were #4 in defense in the nation.  If IU had the same defensive efficiency and as U Conn ran the same offensive efficiency, their overall efficiency would have been at about 23 in the nation -- or basically Kentucky.  U Conn had soooo many offensive options that they didn't need to throw it in the post that much despite having a very good center.  Hopefully IU can get to that point

Clingan was the highest usage player on the team this last season as was Sonogo the year prior. 

And your comment is exactly what I’m talking about, passing it into the post and waiting for your 5 to shoot isn’t what playing through the post means.

How much of that usage was tossing it into the post and letting him go to work vs. movement to get him an advantage to score?

If we toss the ball into the post and stand around for another season we won’t be near as successful as we could be.

5 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Assembly Call had a great take on this the other day. Ballo played with Tubelis 2 years ago (6’10 240 lbs) who had almost identical shooting numbers to Reneau. They essentially played two traditional bigs with 3 dynamic guards only one of which shot above 40% from 3. They had a top 5 KenPom offense.

Ballo is not a high usage player. He’s not somebody who takes 15 shots a game that you force feed every possession. He’s great in PnR lob action and a garbage man on the offensive boards. Get the ball up to the rim and he’s going to get it.

He also gets a lot of his points on put backs.  He averaged 3.6 offensive rebounds at Arizona but only took a touch over 8 shots.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He also gets a lot of his points on put backs.  He averaged 3.6 offensive rebounds at Arizona but only took a touch over 8 shots.

Exactly and why it’s hilarious watching all these people lose their collective minds about Ballo potentially coming. They’ve literally never watched him play. He’s not a guy who camps on the block and fed entry every trip down. He’s very good at lob PnR and being the bottom on high/low action. But understandably, there’s a quota several posters need to hit.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

How much of that usage was tossing it into the post and letting him go to work vs. movement to get him an advantage to score?

If we toss the ball into the post and stand around for another season we won’t be near as successful as we could be.

I can’t physically pinpoint an exact percentage but they ran several sets a game where the ball would go into Clingan in the post and they’d run very sophisticated off-ball action to either free up a shooter or have a free lane cutter to the basket. 

58 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

News flash? You’re strangely argumentative. Woodson’s play through the post style of play, in case you missed it, had our offense completely lacking in outside shooting— we’re one of the worst shooting teams in all of DI ball.
Newsflash? Really? Get a grip. his style is to play the ball through two forwards without wing play and without outside shooting guards. It’s 70’s ball. pretty much everyone here recognizes that his “style” of play is what is killing our ability to win. If you can’t see that maybe think about why we were so horrible this year. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

News flash? You’re strangely argumentative. Woodson’s play through the post style of play, in case you missed it, had our offense completely lacking in outside shooting— we’re one of the worst shooting teams in all of DI ball.
Newsflash? Really? Get a grip. hos style is to play the ball through two forwards without wing play and without outside shooting guards. It’s 70’s ball. pretty much everyone here recognizes that his “style” of play is what is killing our ability to win. If you can’t see that maybe think about why we were so horrible this year. 

Argumentative? It’s a message board, lighten up. I just acknowledged that lack of guard play last year was the reason for our offensive demise. And it had nothing to do with “playing through the post” or “playing 2 traditional bigs” but everything to do with poor guard/wing play. We weren’t a bad perimeter team because we “played through the post”, we were a bad perimeter team because we had guards who couldn’t shoot or create their own shot.

Purdue played heavy minutes with two traditional bigs this past season as did Arizona two years ago with Tubelis and Ballo and yet both teams still yielded top 5 KenPom offenses.