Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

17 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

Yep. It's clear we've got 4 of our starters set now. Ballo, MM, MR, and Rice. I guess the only question now is who will end up starting at that last spot.

Galloway or Carlyle will start likely. Maybe both. Off-season work should determine that.

15 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

It appears we will do well enough in the portal that Galloway will come off the bench in the role that suits him best. That is a very good thing.

Sort of feels like he was always meant for that role and just hasn't had the opportunity to play it til now. 

We will benefit from the fact that Gallo was asked to play bigger roles (too big of roles?) the past couple seasons. 

His energy off the bench (I recall an announcer saying the team calls him "wild man" and he has his own rules for pressuring the ball on defense... not sure if that's true but it is funny lol) could be Hassan Diarra like if he/Woody makes it a point of focus in his role. Rice, Carlyle, Gallo, Mgbako, and Ballo could be an interesting lineup... 

Ballo in the middle IMO is a game changer for our offensive scheme. Especially since he is not a post-up scorer, it seems to me like we will see more 4 out 1 in next year (trying not to get my hopes up). While I think we should always have good rebounding guards, I'd like to hope/think that to Woody/staff's mind, what looks like a "good shot" becomes different, knowing you've got a guy who attacks the glass like that. If Mgbako improves his rebounding (I think he will) that line up could be very interesting. 

I think Reneau continues expanding the outside shooting ability he has and can see a world where the offense looks a lot better... hopefully we give the green light to shoot good 3s when they are there. 

Did someone pump sunshine into my dinner? 

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

As a fellow Central Noble graduate, I’d like this a lot. Really good kid. Made no sense to me for him to play in the Wisconsin style offense. He probably picked them out of his other list of suitors because it was the big name school. Obviously don’t expect him to get big minutes with us but to come in and bang in a couple/few Zeisloft/Roth 3’s would be great. 

I think Connor would be a good get. If he could bring what he brought to Wisconsin his freshman year, that would be great.

42 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

Yep. It's clear we've got 4 of our starters set now. Ballo, MM, MR, and Rice. I guess the only question now is who will end up starting at that last spot.

Rice / Trey / Mack / Malik / Ballo

Personally I don’t like the Malik + Ballo combination on offense, not unless Malik is playing on the wing and shooting / making the 3. 

I doubt Trey is going to accept a bench role after coming back. Personally I rather have Malik come off the bench so Indiana can play more modern. Malik if not Ballo. Nonetheless Indiana has to shoot the 3PT shot more often than this season. Being in the 300’s for attempts per game is so bad. 

I saw that Connor broke the record for 3’s made as a freshman at Wisconsin and was only the 5th frosh in school history to average double figures. Just odd to go from having that type of impact (27 mpg) to being pretty much non existent this last season (7 mpg). I know it was said because Gard didn’t like his defense but still..kid wasn’t afraid to be a sniper. Dusty May was one of the first to contact him at Michigan once he hit the portal and after that has visited South Carolina and Maryland..now IU. 

6 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I saw that Connor broke the record for 3’s made as a freshman at Wisconsin and was only the 5th frosh in school history to average double figures. Just odd to go from having that type of impact (27 mpg) to being pretty much non existent this last season (7 mpg). I know it was said because Gard didn’t like his defense but still..kid wasn’t afraid to be a sniper. Dusty May was one of the first to contact him at Michigan once he hit the portal and after that has visited South Carolina and Maryland..now IU. 

High school board local fans said he had a nagging back injury for at least the first part of year . 

So lets just look at before and after:

X (career due to injury):  40% from three; 75% free throws; 11 pts/game

Rice (freshman year): 27.5% from three; 80% free throws; 15 pts/game

Ware (IU only): 42% from three; 63% free throws; 16 points/game; 10 rebounds/game; 56 blocks

Ballo (AZ only): 0 three; 49.5% free throws; 13 points/game; 10 rebounds/game; 45 blocks.

Not sure what balances out what, but kind of looks like a push to me (it's literally a napkin analysis so take it for what it's worth).  Rice gives up some 3 pct., but tends to score a few more points than X.  We lose Ware's outside shot, some FT pct., but the points/boards are in line with each other.   

Seems to me Tucker and the next 1-2 gets will make the difference -- should be significant upgrades from those who left.  Woody's got a lot more cooking to do, IMO.  

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

So lets just look at before and after:

X (career due to injury):  40% from three; 75% free throws; 11 pts/game

Rice (freshman year): 27.5% from three; 80% free throws; 15 pts/game

Ware (IU only): 42% from three; 63% free throws; 16 points/game; 10 rebounds/game; 56 blocks

Ballo (AZ only): 0 three; 49.5% free throws; 13 points/game; 10 rebounds/game; 45 blocks.

Not sure what balances out what, but kind of looks like a push to me (it's literally a napkin analysis so take it for what it's worth).  Rice gives up some 3 pct., but tends to score a few more points than X.  We lose Ware's outside shot, some FT pct., but the points/boards are in line with each other.   

Seems to me Tucker and the next 1-2 gets will make the difference -- should be significant upgrades from those who left.  Woody's got a lot more cooking to do, IMO.  

I’m my opinion, the addition of Rice, Ballo, and Tucker minus what we lost last year still nets out to a slight positive. 

when you factor in what we have coming back (any improvements for MR and MM will be huge) I still think the team that we have right now’s floor is being slightly better than we were last year. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like Essigian tomorrow, Malone Thursday and Carlyle this weekend.

Need to hold out on filling them all.  I got a feeling some bigger names will be hitting the portal with this second wave.  Pretty Goodman said kids were waiting until the last NIL payments were made for this year before they enter 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Need to hold out on filling them all.  I got a feeling some bigger names will be hitting the portal with this second wave.  Pretty Goodman said kids were waiting until the last NIL payments were made for this year before they enter 

I just wonder what other big names could actually hit the portal. And if Those 3 sign, then Indiana would still have one left to dish out for one last big fish. Right?