Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

They might both come off the bench but there better be some leadership on this team because you are going to have some guys who have either played a lot of college ball or we're highly recruited sitting a lot of minutes. There is only one basketball and so many minutes to go around. I think we will see a lot of unhappy guys. 

Trying to not turn this into a woody discussion. But imo the one thing I am confident in Woody is that he can manage egos. The way he handled Ke'el this year was actually impressive. He was so hard on him and it worked. Getting Malik and Mack to return after this year was impressive. Getting Trayce to come back both years, impressive. And I know I know, NIL helps, but you still see top guys leaving big programs who have money. 

Woody can manage talents and egos. The issue is, until it isn't, his system. 

BRING ON RICE, CONWELL, BALLO, AND HICKMAN

If Rice and Carlyle becomes reality, we are getting TWO dynamic guards that can score, setup teammates and get past their defenders.  Now go land a top end 3pt shooter and a big to go along with Tucker and that will be a very good offseason.  

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Trying to not turn this into a woody discussion. But imo the one thing I am confident in Woody is that he can manage egos. The way he handled Ke'el this year was actually impressive. He was so hard on him and it worked. Getting Malik and Mack to return after this year was impressive. Getting Trayce to come back both years, impressive. And I know I know, NIL helps, but you still see top guys leaving big programs who have money. 

Woody can manage talents and egos. The issue is, until it isn't, his system. 

BRING ON RICE, CONWELL, BALLO, AND HICKMAN

I'm sure you are right. 

I think we'll get 2 of those 4 but hopefully 3

8 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

Yikes it's a little spicy in here this morning. I heard Brad Stevens was on the market.

DIII transfer from DePauw? Didn't realize he still had eligibility. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm sure you are right. 

I think we'll get 2 of those 4 but hopefully 3

Two is really pretty good. Three of those plus Carlyle?!!? That's a friggin modern-day portal-era mega haul.

Is this really possible? To me, that's too much experienced talent to fail.

The next week is going to be either

1. Epically disappointing, or
  2. Epic

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Two is really pretty good. Three of those plus Carlyle?!!? That's a friggin modern-day portal-era mega haul.

Is this really possible? To me, that's too much experienced talent to fail.

The next week is going to be either

1. Epically disappointing, or
  2. Epic

I was told by a certain poster, maybe @Golfman25 that it was next to impossible to land 3 top 50 players from the portal (as it had only been done once) and that "Mediocre Mike" had no chance "BEcaUsE hE waS goLfInG" (during the dead period). Seems like there's a 95% chance we get at least two top 15 guards (Rice #14 and Carlyle #10) and we seem to be in a good spot to land the overall #1 player in Ballo.

Who would have thought that a coach playing golf at 8am on a Sunday morning the night after the F4 could flip the script so fast? 

I like the overall talent level of what appear to be our primary targets.  Personally, I hope that whatever players we land from the portal don't all have just 1 year of eligibility remaining and they all have to be replaced along with Gallo and Leal next spring.  I realize any player can leave after 1 year but I'd feel more comfortable with the thought that at least a couple might stick around for another year to mesh with some '25 recruits - @Barrel Rick are you reading this?

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I like the overall talent level of what appear to be our primary targets.  Personally, I hope that whatever players we land from the portal don't all have just 1 year of eligibility remaining and they all have to be replaced along with Gallo and Leal next spring.  I realize any player can leave after 1 year but I'd feel more comfortable with the thought that at least a couple might stick around for another year to mesh with some '25 recruits - @Barrel Rick are you reading this?

Rice has 3 as does Carlyle. I believe this would be Ballo's Covid year. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Surfing the 247 portal website before work...on the 247 portal rankings it now shows a Crystal ball pick for Kanaan Carlyle to IU. 

https://247sports.com/season/2024-basketball/transferportaltop/

He is #10

Edit: This makes Hickman or Humrichous a must IMO. Need a shooter off the bench. We are in no way to turn a talent like this down. But, shooters shooters and shooters is the need. 

Who is making the crystal ball prediction is usually more important than the number of crystal balls.  Travis Branham is the one who made crystal balls for Rice and Carlyle.  That's a good one to have.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I'm not sure that we'll find out. 

Yeah, think there is some greediness going around right now.  But that is a good thing.

I can't see any way that three highly ranked portal guards would ever commit to the same school where there is one 30+ minute guy coming back and a 5 star incoming freshman wing plus the returning starter at the 3 is coming back.  If there are three highly ranked guards, you take the first two willing to commit.

I used to live on the recruiting page, visiting it at least twice daily.Its been ages since I checked in and find myself obsessed with this thread.I guess that's where we are with the landscape and this coaching staff.

Big change from the late 70's when I subscribed to the hoop scoop and Clark Francis.Damm Im old!

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yeah, think there is some greediness going around right now.  But that is a good thing.

I can't see any way that three highly ranked portal guards would ever commit to the same school where there is one 30+ minute guy coming back and a 5 star incoming freshman wing plus the returning starter at the 3 is coming back.  If there are three highly ranked guards, you take the first two willing to commit.

Yeah that's why I think you see Conwell visiting NC St and Hickman leaning towards Cincy