Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Chatting with you is like trying to solve a puzzle.  But I appreciate your perspective here and enjoy the puzzle. 

If a change is made, do you think it would be easier to build consensus for an established/qualified P5 coach or a promising up and comer who built a strong program from scratch. 

Some in the discussion think this should be a linear journey, with a rigid, proscribed set of waypoints leading, without exception, to a logical and predictable conclusion. They want absolute predictability and aren’t happy that this isn’t available here. Life rarely works that way, and it does even less so in this space. I think it’s simple and am more than a little surprised that it’s been so difficult for some to grasp. As flawed as it is, I never have considered it difficult to understand or even appreciate. I mentioned earlier that I grew up in it, so maybe that’s it.

If / when we move on from Woody, we would be crazy to not select someone with a demonstrated track record, in my opinion. To me, that’s where consensus will be at its best. 

Edited by KathywithaC

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Ok, “explain” it then. In your opinion, if everyone does it, why is IU so uniquely incompetent compared to its peers?

I’ve been extremely clear that a lack of leadership has been our biggest issue. Is that not evident?

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

If I can't control who my coaches are, you're darn right. Not going to set myself up for failure because a bunch of academics don't know chit about sports.  

It’s  probably also good that fans aren’t in that position, for the reasons you cite. Both tend to think they know much more about sports than they do. That chit is everywhere.

9 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ve been extremely clear that a lack of leadership has been our biggest issue. Is that not evident?

I can't keep up with all of it, but... Hasn't this been the consensus in here? The better answer to give would be highlighting where this leadership is lacking even though this situation apparently isn't the brainchild of anyone person nor any particular brain trust...

2 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

You’ve went to great lengths to say that these things are done by consensus at IU. 

So, leadership where or with whom? Which person or process makes IU uniquely poor at this?

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

You’ve went to great lengths to say that these things are done by consensus at IU. 

So, leadership where or with whom? Which person or process makes IU uniquely poor at this?

Sounds like the BOT which is controlled to a degree by politicians who are controlled by big money.

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Look, I think "consensus" and "leadership" means doing what Quinn Buckner says.  

22 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

It’s  probably also good that fans aren’t in that position, for the reasons you cite. Both tend to think they know much more about sports than they do. That chit is everywhere.

Fwiw. If you are a part of the BOT or connected to them, I appreciate your willingness to share some of the inner workings of the organization.

I believe you are trying to share what you can, but I also acknowledge that it’s a political position and tenuous at best.

If you are a decision maker, the hope is that you hear what this part of the fan base feels. 

I think that by your engaging here, you understand. But I fully understand if you feel your hands are tied.

Thanking you for stepping out to post here, but also not 100% convinced that we are not being conned

4 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

Not running cover for anyone but I don’t disagree with your notion that it is a great inhibitor to success. Why do you think RMK wanted total control of the basketball program, which he had for some time?

Because he was a megalomaniacal person?

1 hour ago, KathywithaC said:

Some in the discussion think this should be a linear journey, with a rigid, proscribed set of waypoints leading, without exception, to a logical and predictable conclusion. They want absolute predictability and aren’t happy that this isn’t available here. Life rarely works that way, and it does even less so in this space. I think it’s simple and am more than a little surprised that it’s been so difficult for some to grasp. As flawed as it is, I never have considered it difficult to understand or even appreciate. I mentioned earlier that I grew up in it, so maybe that’s it.

If / when we move on from Woody, we would be crazy to not select someone with a demonstrated track record, in my opinion. To me, that’s where consensus will be at its best. 

The bold is what is driving so many fans insane when it comes to Woody as you'd think this would be the criteria for any basketball coach hire at IU - someone with a proven track record. If that's what the BOT looks for, then why was Mike Woodson even on the list of candidates? He's lost his job everywhere he's been, has a below average record in the NBA, zero college coaching experience, and no one else wanted him - so why did we hire him?

It's infuriating. 

13 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

The bold is what is driving so many fans insane when it comes to Woody as you'd think this would be the criteria for any basketball coach hire at IU - someone with a proven track record. If that's what the BOT looks for, then why was Mike Woodson even on the list of candidates? He's lost his job everywhere he's been, has a below average record in the NBA, zero college coaching experience, and no one else wanted him - so why did we hire him?

It's infuriating. 

Because you have a Trustee with a conflict.  That Trustee is the big dog who calls the shots and Dolson doesn’t have independent authority to protect the university from the conflict.  

3 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I apologize in advance to be combative.

But

It's like a puzzle because it's a bunch of mealy mouth corporate speak that amounts to a whole lot of nothing. 

I've not found much insight into the 'how' or the 'why' in the course of neither defending nor criticizing this approach. 

Yawn.

Funny thing while ‘neither defending or criticizing the BOT’, she had zero problem criticizing ADs.  And while she criticizes the ADs with no AD experience I have yet to hear her criticize a college coach with no college coaching experience.

5 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Funny thing while ‘neither defending or criticizing the BOT’, she had zero problem criticizing ADs.  And while she criticizes the ADs with no AD experience I have yet to hear her criticize a college coach with no college coaching experience.

I wouldn’t be so sure that is actually a BoT member posting. 

11 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Us: Okay, so who hires and fires coaches? Do we have a process for that?

Cathy: "Some in this discussion think this should be a linear journey, with a rigid, proscribed set of waypoints leading, without exception, to a logical and predictable conclusion"

Us: Wait that doesn't really make sense

Cathy: "Did you go to IU? Have you ever played any sports? Were you involved with the IUF? Know anyone actually in the athletic department? You ever conduct a coaching search? Probably a good thing fans don't try to do this job, I know you'd like it all to be so complex but it's not. Just hard to understand if you're not familiar with IU beyond your time as a student... or watching it make decisions for the past 30+ years. Plus my friends on the BOT at SEC schools have way more involvement in football than we do, so. But no I'm not criticizing or defending. BTW, Scott Dolson is unqualified and the BOT has nothing to do with the sh*t show before you"

EDIT: For the record ... the above is all literally an amalgamation of her posts, using actual quotes throughout. Really no exaggeration. 

Seems like someone using an AI bot to pretend to have inside info on the BOT to me.