Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Could you imagine Alabama keeping their football coach after 3 mediocre seasons and no recruits coming in the next year? Talk about toxic if that happened. Yikes. 

Toxic doesn't even begin to describe it. There's not a chance leadership even considers bringing that coach back.

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Toxic doesn't even begin to describe it. There's not a chance leadership even considers bringing that coach back.

And the obvious answer as to why they wouldn’t is because there are 0 recruits coming next year and the program would be on the literal brink of collapse. Even if the portal strategy works to a limited extent, it will take many years to transition away to something that is more sustainable and palatable to the fanbase. 

8 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

I think you would be surprised at the level of oversight the Board provides to matters such as this. I’m neither a defender nor a critic of the approach, only one who is attempting to explain how and why decisions have been made. It’s been a time honored approach at IU for many years. In the West but I’ll call it an evening. Nice to chat with you.

@KathywithaCWould you call this time honored approach successful?  I don’t really care how something gets done as long as success is achieved. 

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If exactly what I say isn't true, tell me the number of 5-4 and 6-3 votes that have occurred until the current BOT.

1 hour ago, KathywithaC said:

There are no BOT votes related to basketball hires.

19 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You didn’t answer my question.

I would legitimately love to hear this answer. For reference, here is what RaceToTheTop said: 

9 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

EXCEPT you are saying that 'Buckner doesn't have unilateral say because they operate under consensus building' and I explained how consensus building leads to people having unilateral say.  No one ever has to take responsibility for any area because those with the most interest in an area drive the decision of others and in return become amicable to the decisions that someone else has in an area of their own concern.  

If Quinn Buckner does not yield that kind of power in basketball decisions, Mike Woodson never even gets interviewed.

9 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

It was many more people than Buckner who pushed forward Woody. Many more. And consensus building doesn’t lead to unilateral decision making at IU. It never has.

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Sorry, don't know who you really are, but this reeks of a political answer that I would expect from an apologist of board actions that do exactly the thing you say they aren't.  Coaches like Tom Allen and Mike Woodson would never get approved by an independently thinking board.

@KathywithaC I know there have been reports of Woodson getting another year. With Liam decommitting,  if the last two games go poorly, and there is mass exodus of players that go into the portal, will there be any discussion or change in decision in bringing Woodson back? Or does the university simply not care and is ok with allowing next year to be a complete embarrassment? 

Just now, KYHoosier said:

@KathywithaC I know there have been reports of Woodson getting another year. With Liam decommitting,  if the last two games go poorly, and there is mass exodus of players that go into the portal, will there be any discussion or change in decision in bringing Woodson back? Or does the university simply not care and is ok with allowing next year to be a complete embarrassment? 

If there's one thing about Mike Woodson, it's that Mike Woodson is getting his 4 years. "I'm not going anywhere guys."

Just now, TadQueasy said:

Maybe I have missed somethings, and that is very possible.  But it seems some of you are pretty harsh on our new poster KathyC.  I have no idea if she is someone important or not, but she has seemed to carry herself fairly well here and try to be as open and honest as she can be.  

I'm not sure how I could be much more gentle when her response is that "umm... other schools have wayyyy more interference from their BOT/Regents ... but no I'm not a defender nor a critic of this approach."

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

I'm not sure how I could be much more gentle when her response is that "umm... other schools have wayyyy more interference from their BOT/Regents ... but no I'm not a defender nor a critic of this approach."

I wasn't just referring to you, yours was just the last post I saw.  I think it is maybe how it comes across tone wise.  But like I said I maybe off or miss something.  

20 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I would legitimately love to hear this answer. For reference, here is what RaceToTheTop said: 

Help me catch up, I’ve lived on the Fire Mike Thread for a month. Is @KathywithaC saying the BoT didn’t/doesn’t have anything to do with hiring and firing a BBall coach? If so, does that mean that this is on the AD exclusively?

3 minutes ago, Herotime said:

Help me catch up, I’ve lived on the Fire Mike Thread for a month. Is @KathywithaC saying the BoT didn’t/doesn’t have anything to do with hiring and firing a BBall coach? If so, does that mean that this is on the AD exclusively?

If you click her profile and read her posts you can read everything, get the full context, and form your own conclusion fairly quickly. I don't want to predispose you to the opinion I have formed. 

36 minutes ago, Feathery said:

And the obvious answer as to why they wouldn’t is because there are 0 recruits coming next year and the program would be on the literal brink of collapse. Even if the portal strategy works to a limited extent, it will take many years to transition away to something that is more sustainable and palatable to the fanbase. 

Yep. Getting blown out in 2 lower bowl games wouldn't matter, and coach X getting 4 years definitely wouldn't.

37 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Maybe I have missed somethings, and that is very possible.  But it seems some of you are pretty harsh on our new poster KathyC.  I have no idea if she is someone important or not, but she has seemed to carry herself fairly well here and try to be as open and honest as she can be.  

Speaking softly but deflecting when a hard question is posed shouldn't get a pass.  There has been no name calling.  I mean the pretty harshest accusation is that the BOT suffers from groupthink and that it results in poor decisions.  There is nothing that I have asked that I wouldn't ask to a board member in an open forum.

Also remember that Kathy stated how 'shaky' previous ADs were.  Well.....who hired these ADs?  Blame has been deflected from the POT to the very people they hired to run the department.  What happened to the "buck stops here"?  

Again, the question I posed was the number of BOT votes that were 5-4 or 6-3.  Simply showing proof that the board doesn't act in unison.  Saying there is 'consensus building' doesn't cut it for me.  Its wordspeak.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Again, the question I posed was the number of BOT votes that were 5-4 or 6-3.  Simply showing proof that the board doesn't act in unison.  Saying there is 'consensus building' doesn't cut it for me.  Its wordspeak.

Only thing I'd add to your post is her contention that - not only is there consensus building, but that it has never led to unilateral decision making at IU. "It never has." That is an extremely bold statement. Your question about the BOT vote splits is a wonderful one and I look forward to a response from our friend. 

13 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Irony 

51 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

If you click her profile and read her posts you can read everything, get the full context, and form your own conclusion fairly quickly. I don't want to predispose you to the opinion I have formed. 

Sadly I think you just don't like having your opinion be in the minority.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

This 10000000000000000% this. You hired the man so let him do his job.if you don’t trust him to do his job, then he should have never been hired to begin with.  Dont interfere and inject nepotism and politics into it. 

I agree with the gist of this, strongly. But would modify it just a little.

I'm just not sold yet on Dolson as AD. He was 'present' for, but I'm not sure how 'involved' with or supportive of, the Woodson hire.

Some have said he thought the hire was good and supported it. If he did, that raises some questions or doubts for me. Plus, he had NO previous AD experience. None. (Neither did Glass...another problem)

Another problem...he was also 'present' for the ridiculous @#$!&$ Woodson raise. Another serious question regarding judgement, IMO. So far, the Cignetti hire looks good, but what about the rest?

So, I would say it like this "Hire a REAL AD, someone with proven success and experience, then let them do their job. If you don’t trust them to do their job, (or you aren't going to let them), then they should have never been hired to begin with. Don't interfere and inject nepotism and politics into it." 

I'm not saying Dolson isn't or won't be a good AD or do the right thing. Just saying I'm not sold on him yet...too many question marks right now.

3 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

I agree with the gist of this, strongly. But would modify it just a little.

I'm just not sold yet on Dolson as AD. He was 'present' for, but I'm not sure how 'involved' with or supportive of, the Woodson hire.

Some have said he thought the hire was good and supported it. If he did, that raises some questions or doubts for me. Plus, he had NO previous AD experience. None. (Neither did Glass...another problem)

Another problem...he was also 'present' for the ridiculous @#$!&$ Woodson raise. Another serious question regarding judgement, IMO. So far, the Cignetti hire looks good, but what about the rest?

So, I would say it like this "Hire a REAL AD, someone with proven success and experience, then let them do their job. If you don’t trust them to do their job, (or you aren't going to let them), then they should have never been hired to begin with. Don't interfere and inject nepotism and politics into it." 

I'm not saying Dolson isn't or won't be a good AD or do the right thing. Just saying I'm not sold on him yet...too many question marks right now.

The solution is to hire an AD who knows what they are doing, not have non-sports people get involved in sports decisions. 

As for the Woodson raise, the buyout protections appear to have been a decent maneuver... if he's allowed to use them. 

Believe Dolson is a damned good AD. He has now been boxed in by others. He has done very well with the Cignetti hire. He did well do lower the buyout agreement with Allen. He is raising a ton for NIL. Top 10 in the country. This will be a make or break and I believe he understands that.