Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

9 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Because it’s not part of the culture. Allen got three years of complete failure before they let him go, and that was after it was clear to most people that he wasn’t good enough for the job and had no self awareness that he had completely lost control. Miller got four years and, while much better than Allen, was still tone deaf. So Woody, a favorite son who won BT MVP playing in only the last 6 games of an 18 game schedule, is going to get more time unless he decides to pull the rip cord himself. It’s how they’ve done things for years and years. And years.

Then that needs to change, badly. Mike Woodson the player was over 40 years ago, Mike Woodson the coach was never a good choice. We can appreciate what he did as a player while recognizing he had no business coaching here.

Take away the name. IU hires John Smith, a guy in his 60s that had never coached college and hadn't been a head coach at all in nearly 10 years after his last gig fired him. That's not a hire to be excited about and that AD shouldn't make the next hire.

Just now, Demo said:

Honestly, I find that incredibly discouraging because I’ve never been able to understand how an objective hiring process and criteria could have been developed that would possibly landed on Woody without weighing IU affiliation as the single core criterion. I’ve just assumed there were outside factors beyond his control. If not, then they have just flat misevaluated the success factors here. 

It’s every bit as dumb as we imagined.  But it was a feelgood story.  If only we could have our “Rudy” moment where, when stuff shouldn’t work, works.  

I still can't believe we hired Mike Woodson.
I still remember the day they did I thought it was somebody joking. Nobody should be surprised it's failing in year three. If they are surprised they don't know basketball very well.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

When you see the photo of Woodson smoking cigars with those older guys it explains it all. Those guys are not a majority of fans or even close to iu but they control the money. In fact most fans under 60 could probably care less Woodson played at iu 43 years. But that old guard I guess would rather live 43 years in the past and tell stories.

Recruits today and students at IU don't know about Mike Woodson the player outside of black and white photos; many of the fans are in the same boat.

Then that needs to change, badly. Mike Woodson the player was over 40 years ago, Mike Woodson the coach was never a good choice. We can appreciate what he did as a player while recognizing he had no business coaching here.
Take away the name. IU hires John Smith, a guy in his 60s that had never coached college and hadn't been a head coach at all in nearly 10 years after his last gig fired him. That's not a hire to be excited about and that AD shouldn't make the next hire.
There is no possible way dolson deep down thinks this is going to work and get turned around next year. He cannot honestly believe Woodson is the guy can he? If he does that's scary.

29 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Dolson has been around IU and IU basketball for a long time. Buckner had influence, but he didn’t have unilateral authority or anything resembling it. SD was an enthusiastic supporter of hiring Woody and, after Stevens made it clear Dolson’s efforts were in vain, he was very happy to get Woody on board.

This doesn't surprise me at all. 

I was very unimpressed with the Dolson hire and didn't really believe he was fighting hard to get rid of Woodson. If Woodson is retained (likely) and does as poorly as expected next year and beyond (also likely), Dolson should also be fired (unlikely).

I want a real AD.

If I’d have been involved in the hiring process in any of our previous hires, we’d be in a better position.  With guarantee.  The real fans just want to win.  The Admin creates all these checklists and triple check-plus crap.  Find a winner in life and on the court.  Pay that guy top money.  And you will likely end up getting the results the fans want. 

19 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Thank you for helping me understand how deeply unserious the leadership at Indiana University apparently is. Genuinely. 

Yeah, as long as leadership is that deeply unserious this program will never get back; if it hasn't already been completely ruined.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Yeah, as long as leadership is that deeply unserious this program will never get back; if it hasn't already been completely ruined.

JFC I'm in my 30s and it doesn't sound like I'll see an IUBB title in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If I’d have been involved in the hiring process in any of our previous hires, we’d be in a better position.  With guarantee.  The real fans just want to win.  The Admin creates all these checklists and triple check-plus crap.  Find a winner in life and on the court.  Pay that guy top money.  And you will likely end up getting the results the fans want. 

And the more they mess around the closer they get to losing an entire generation of fans.

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. 

I was very unimpressed with the Dolson hire and didn't really believe he was fighting hard to get rid of Woodson. If Woodson is retained (likely) and does as poorly as expected next year and beyond (also likely), Dolson should also be fired (unlikely).

I want a real AD.

If leadership is that much of a clown show (apologies to any clowns reading this) they wouldn't replace Dolson with an experienced and qualified AD.

I wasn't big on the Dolson hire, but if this is true it's worse than I thought.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s every bit as dumb as we imagined.  But it was a feelgood story.  If only we could have our “Rudy” moment where, when stuff shouldn’t work, works.  

Yeah, it is. I’ll die on this hill: If you hire someone for your gig that absolutely no one else in your field would hire for theirs, you are exponentially more likely to be an idiot than a visionary. And Woody had long before coached his last game in the big chair. And the idea that they apparently believed that zero college experience could simply be staffed around was an insane miscalculation. 

6 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I still remember the day they did I thought it was somebody joking. Nobody should be surprised it's failing in year three. If they are surprised they don't know basketball very well.

After we fired Archie there were random nuggets insinuating Mike Woodson was on our short list to replace him. Usually national guys like Goodman or Parrish.

I would immediately laugh them off as uninformed. "No way we'll hire Woodson" I thought. 

And here we are. 

3 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

After we fired Archie there were random nuggets insinuating Mike Woodson was on our short list to replace him. Usually national guys like Goodman or Parrish.

I would immediately laugh them off as uninformed. "No way we'll hire Woodson" I thought. 

And here we are. 

We underestimated just how deeply unserious IU leadership is. Which just means when Woodson is gone, after he retires because how dare they fire him, he'll be replaced with Wittman or Lewis or someone.

Just now, Home Jersey said:

This is Cathy's logic: 

• It was Glass's fault for not interviewing a - probably unqualified - candidate in Mike Woodson. 

(As a courtesy he should've been given an interview IMO)

• It's Dolson's fault for hiring Woodson. And now it's Dolson's fault for not firing him because the culture won't allow him to, even though it actively encouraged him to do. 

Got to mend our broken fanbase by hiring an unenergetic, unqualified, feelgood story.  

Instead of winning being our primary objective, it’s just narrative bending BS to try to satisfy certain sectors of gray hairs. 

you know what unites a fanbase?  Winning does. It’s the ultimate Uniter!