Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

5 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

So how does this pertain to the hire and retention of Woodson? Who "knew" or "didn't know"? The obvious reason for "ruling by committee" is that it's impossible to hold an individual accountable for a bad decision... remember, a giraffe is a horse built by a committee.

It would seem to very strongly suggest that certain people in positions of contributing to the decision to hire Woody may not have done such a good job, for all of the reasons that knowing and not knowing stuff are important to getting the right guy. 

35 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

It would seem to very strongly suggest that certain people in positions of contributing to the decision to hire Woody may not have done such a good job, for all of the reasons that knowing and not knowing stuff are important to getting the right guy. 

Ok, fair enough... but if all of that is true, why extend Woodson another year? What has he proved this year beyond the fact that the cannot get (or keep) recruits? He hasn't found "the hump", and, frankly he's done nothing to merit another year IMO.

The facts are (1) he got Liam; (2) he failed to maintain that relationship; (3) he continues to play a style that was not compatible with Liam's strengths and abilities; (4) he had to be told to go watch Mullins' sectional game;  (5) when he visited Flory Bidunga, he called him "Cory"; and (6) he lost Liam.

But I bet he got to "wine" and "cigar" time without any issues... and never missed a tee-time...

Just now, KNOBYDOX said:

Just a suggestion, maybe it’s time to hire a true athletic Director, and make SD anassociate athletic Director in charge of donors.

Or how about just letting Scott Dolson do the job he was hired to do without all of the nepotism and interference from the BoT?

5 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Another poster on the board said this recently in another thread, which is consistent with what you're saying. And what everyone is saying, I think. Would love your thoughts. 

Hire the right guy and you can give them the authority to make decisions, even really big ones. Hire a lawyer or a former athlete from your school with no time as an AD anywhere, ever, and you’re in trouble at some point. We done this, as has Purdue (Burke swam at Purdue but had zero AD experience, by the way), and it never works.. Sometimes, it’s worse than that, but it never works long term. Your friend was right. One of his former BOT colleagues told me just about the same thing during the Crean era. These things happen everywhere. We are hardly alone.

9 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Yes. I've consistently said he should've been fired when he missed the NIT with 2 McDonald's All Americans on the roster, that was 2013-2014. I stand by that too.

Zero support to fire a coach one year removed from a Big 10 championship and Sweet 16 appearance. Was never going to happen.

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Or how about just letting Scott Dolson do the job he was hired to do without all of the nepotism and interference from the BoT?

And if they don't trust Dolson to do his job why didn't they just hire an experienced AD in the first place?

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

And if they don't trust Dolson to do his job why didn't they just hire an experienced AD in the first place?

Maybe they wanted a puppet. 

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

Zero support to fire a coach one year removed from a Big 10 championship and Sweet 16 appearance. Was never going to happen.

lol. Yeah. Crean made things tough. His career arc at Indiana was something else.  

As far as Woody and our current trajectory.  It’s going to be tough too.  Just like Crean.  All the basketball minds know where it’s leading.  You can tell by the product. 

But his 4 game streak here at the end will make moving on hard unless Woody decides himself to move along which I don’t see. 

But the fans have turned. (And it’s not their fault-this roster had no business missing the dance-I could have coached this roster to the tournament)  Everyone can see it.  Bad situation.  

1 minute ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Damn! Cathy is spitting truth like hot fire.

If Dolson wasn't qualified he shouldn't have been hired to begin with. So it's as much an indictment of the process that lead to him as it is of him.

I wasn't a fan of the hire to start with so don't take that as a defense of Dolson.

lol. Yeah. Crean made things tough. His career arc at Indiana was something else.  

As far as Woody and our current trajectory.  It’s going to be tough too.  Just like Crean.  All the basketball minds know where it’s leading.  You can tell by the product. 

But his 4 game streak here at the end will make moving on hard unless Woody decides himself to move along which I don’t see. 

But the fans have turned. (And it’s not their fault-this roster had no business missing the dance-I could have coached this roster to the tournament)  Everyone can see it.  Bad situation.  

The 4 game winning streak doesn't do much at this point. It's against the bottom half of a bad big ten or in wisconsins case they were on a big losing streak. And the fans already turned like you said.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Look up the names Leon Birtnett, Fred Akers, Jim Colletto, Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell and see if you think Purdue can “figure it out”?

Purdue’s attitude and recognition towards varsity athletics being more than just a hobby directly coincides with Berghoff and Mitch Daniels being named to leadership roles. Berghoff is a former Purdue football player and the first of his kind to be named chairman of the board in decades. 

8 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

How about we hire a qualified AD before we turn him loose? 

I've never worked in a collegiate athletic department, so the following is an honest question. What makes Dolson unqualified? I know he had no prior AD experience, but that alone doesn't disqualify him. There are first ADs that succeed. We're told he's a great fundraiser. Does he not work well with others? Does he go rogue while making decisions? Does he not have the right priorities? Does he not have the right connections to outside sources? Is he too beholden to certain influencers inside the institution? 

This is all fascinating. Appreciate any insight. 

1 minute ago, ziggyiu said:

I've never worked in a collegiate athletic department, so the following is an honest question. What makes Dolson unqualified? I know he had no prior AD experience, but that alone doesn't disqualify him. There are first ADs that succeed. We're told he's a great fundraiser. Does he not work well with others? Does he go rogue while making decisions? Does he not have the right priorities? Does he not have the right connections to outside sources? Is he too beholden to certain influencers inside the institution? 

This is all fascinating. Appreciate any insight. 

From the business aspect of things, he’s fine. But he’s never been in the position to evaluate and lead a proper and thorough coaching search.

26 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

You think Crean’s last season was any better than where we are today? In hindsight, you think his retention would’ve made sense? Interesting view. Thanks.

I supported the firing of Crean because he was too inconsistent and seemed to be burning bridges with the HS coaches in Indiana. I think majority of fans would agree that the Crean years were light years ahead from where we have been for the past 7 years and especially where we are now. Crean won 2 big ten titles in 4 years and was fired. We have not been remotely close to that level of success since he left. It seemed like when IU fired him, they were ready to take the next step at re-establishing themselves as an elite program. The Archie Miller hire made sense, and I thought Archie would have way more success than he did and was genuinely surprised how poorly his tenure was. However, when Archie was fired and IU hired Mike Woodson it was truly head scratching. After the past 3 years of Mike Woodson, it seems like the standard for success of IU basketball is now simply making the NCAA Tournament. Bringing Woodson back for another year seems like the university has given up on ever making IU basketball elite because everyone knows Woodson is not the answer. I cannot understand where there is not more urgency in doing what it takes to restore IU basketball. IU has the history, fan support, donor support for NIL, facilities, and the national exposure to be an elite program. It shouldn't be as hard as it has been for IU to find the right coach with all the resources they have at their disposal.