Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson is why we would have to hit the reset button. He feels his mediocre NBA history means he doesn't have to do the work of actually recruiting.

Just get rid of the problem now before his ego makes everything worse.

I just think there's a better way to allow him to retire after next season that sets us up for smoother waters ahead. NOW, do I think that is how things will actually go? No probably not. Next year will be a circus, the calls for his job will be worse then this year, recruiting will be horrible again because of the uncertainty of the next year but yeah, I can dream. If I'm the Lisan al Gaib I see many paths in front of us. In so many of them the program burns in the bottom of the B1G, but there's a narrow way through, a way to usher a new era that is smooth and respectable.

Edited by Tropiiix

1 minute ago, Tropiiix said:

I just think there's a better way to allow him to retire after next season that sets us up for smoother waters ahead. NOW, do I think that is how things will actually go? No probably not. Next year will be a circus, the calls for his job will be worse then this year, recruiting will be horrible again because of the uncertainty of the next year but yeah, I can dream. If I'm the Lisan al Gaib I see many paths in front of us. In so many of them the program burns in the bottom of the B1G, but there's a narrow way through, a way to usher a new era that is smooth and respectable.

I think the possibility of a smooth exit passed. They brought him back to protect his feelings since he got passed over when Miller was hired (hey, Glass actually did 1 thing right!), they'll use every excuse they can to keep him until he decides he's ready to retire. His ego will tell him he can fix it so he'll stick around.

Kicking him to the curb now avoids him wrecking whatever is left of the program.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

I think the possibility of a smooth exit passed. They brought him back to protect his feelings since he got passed over when Miller was hired (hey, Glass actually did 1 thing right!), they'll use every excuse they can to keep him until he decides he's ready to retire. His ego will tell him he can fix it so he'll stick around.

Kicking him to the curb now avoids him wrecking whatever is left of the program.

I think "kicking him to the curb" contributes to wrecking things though. He has to go out on his terms even if that's BS and there's really pressure on him behind the scenes to walk, I think for the program image we cannot "fire" him.

3 minutes ago, Tropiiix said:

I think "kicking him to the curb" contributes to wrecking things though. He has to go out on his terms even if that's BS and there's really pressure on him behind the scenes to walk, I think for the program image we cannot "fire" him.

Program image.  YGTBSM.  What does the program image look like today?  Coach is “confirmed” to come back and within 24 hours your only recruit bails.  

1 hour ago, Tropiiix said:

While I agree Woodson doesn’t understand the current climate of CBB, I don’t think we will lose everyone on the current roster next year. I think maybe 2-4 guys transfer out, there will be at least 3 transfers in, and we have another middle of the pack year next year. Woody then retires and we start fresh. We are Indiana University. Too big to fail. 

This is probably accurate. 

I'm firmly in the "running him out after 1 bad season is going to do more damage to the program long term than keeping him around another year" camp.  If we fire him after missing the tournament one year what type of coach (who is actually worth having) is going to even want to come to our program.  I think this is especially true when coupled with the fact that it isn't like we were projected to be great this year.  We were projected to be mediocre and middle of the pack in the Big Ten.  Do I think we under performed a bit? Yes, but I think it is a bad bad bad look for the program if we run him out now.  

Also all you acting like you aren't part of the problem is copium.  The toxic fanbase is absolutely part of the problem.  I'm sure Liam's decision was much more complicated than "Woodson isn't going to let me shoot" or the "fanbase is toxic".  Like anything else in life I'm sure it was a complicated decision with many contributing factors with Woodson's recruiting (lack of), Woodson's style, the toxic fanbase, and who knows what else being contributing factors.

Anyways my two cents. Light me up.

8 minutes ago, Tropiiix said:

Convince him to retire, whatever. Get rid of the problem now before he makes things worse.

If they were that concerned about program image when it comes to firing him then they shouldn't have hired him to begin with, he was never a good choice and the odds of an ugly split were high. They made their bed.

1 minute ago, codesbane said:

I'm firmly in the "running him out after 1 bad season is going to do more damage to the program long term than keeping him around another year" camp.  If we fire him after missing the tournament one year what type of coach (who is actually worth having) is going to even want to come to our program.  I think this is especially true when coupled with the fact that it isn't like we were projected to be great this year.  We were projected to be mediocre and middle of the pack in the Big Ten.  Do I think we under performed a bit? Yes, but I think it is a bad bad bad look for the program if we run him out now.  

Also all you acting like you aren't part of the problem is copium.  The toxic fanbase is absolutely part of the problem.  I'm sure Liam's decision was much more complicated than "Woodson isn't going to let me shoot" or the "fanbase is toxic".  Like anything else in life I'm sure it was a complicated decision with many contributing factors with Woodson's recruiting (lack of), Woodson's style, the toxic fanbase, and who knows what else being contributing factors.

Anyways my two cents. Light me up.

If he had this performance at UK he wouldn’t finish the season. We're nothing compared to how they would act; of course their admin cares enough to not let crap like this happen. They expect to win and do what it takes.

You want to damage a program? Keep a bad coach too long so he can really make a mess of things. 

I'm sick and tired if hearing the fans, one of the few positives this program has had the last 20+ years, are the problem instead of crap coaches resulting from incompetent leadership.

4 minutes ago, Tropiiix said:

Respectfully, F that noise.  You can absolutely fire the guy.  We just have people that don't want to.  So we are going to do the Indiana thing and let this festering boil of a relationship go another year.

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Program image.  YGTBSM.  What does the program image look like today?  Coach is “confirmed” to come back and within 24 hours your only recruit bails.  

Obviously it isn't great. Isn't even good. But if you don't think it could be worse you're crazy.

While I agree Woodson doesn’t understand the current climate of CBB, I don’t think we will lose everyone on the current roster next year. I think maybe 2-4 guys transfer out, there will be at least 3 transfers in, and we have another middle of the pack year next year. Woody then retires and we start fresh. We are Indiana University. Too big to fail. 

Except in the minds of many, we already have failed. Epically.

Obviously it isn't great. Isn't even good. But if you don't think it could be worse you're crazy.

Yes it could be worse. Want to see it? Come back this time next year if Woodson is truly being retained. He hasn’t earned another year IMO (and the opinion of many others). He will have the power and opportunity to drive this program into the ground.

58 minutes ago, Tropiiix said:

Ok you are right, maybe I should have said at least 5 transfers which does feel... optimistic, but I stand by that this is a marathon. Hitting the reset button and starting fresh (likely after next year) may not be the worst thing. You can't build a program and a culture trying to win now every year. Especially not when you're building on the base we currently have. If we have to tear it up and pour a new foundation that will put us in a better spot 3-5 years from now.

A lot of us getting up there in age are tired of the endless marathon, where just when it looks like the finish line is in sight, it moves far away again.  Maybe it’s time to find a more enjoyable race.  Might be something the administration should consider before it commits to yet another year of crap.

The administrations tells us one thing but does another. They say the goal is championships but they aren’t willing to hire the best candidates that could bring championships because of “baggage.” We are stuck in endless misery.

As for Woodson, what a disgrace. 0 recruits in the class of 2024 with all the NIL we have. Maybe this will finally wake up Sleepy Mike that he has to actually put work in and not just “coach.” but doubt it will. This sucks. 

44 minutes ago, codesbane said:

If we fire him after missing the tournament one year what type of coach (who is actually worth having) is going to even want to come to our program. 

Coaches that want to make the tournament and understand that is a minimum requirement at a place like IU.  

Now, I don’t know about you guys, but I personally could live with such a coach.

8 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

A lot of us getting up there in age are tired of the endless marathon, where just when it looks like the finish line is in sight, it moves far away again.  Maybe it’s time to find a more enjoyable race.  Might be something the administration should consider before it commits to yet another year of crap.

I mean this with all due respect, having old fans is no reason for putting all your chips in on firing another coach, going 100% for broke, and maybe making things worse. RESPECTFULLY. 

We have to build a culture. Bob Knights Legacy is gone. We are not that program any more. we can't win now it isn't that easy. Our brand doesn't have the power of Duke, UNC, Kansas, or even Uconn to kids now days. We have to rebuild it. We need stability. We need Woody to retire and move on that way.