Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

Hypothetically you're the AD

Hypothetically what would you do in this scenario as the AD at IU?.....

IU misses the NIT

Micah Shrewsberry wins the ACC tournament and makes it to the tournament and wins a game

Dusty May makes a S16, E8, or FF

Bruce Pearl makes a E8, or FF

Chris Beard makes Rnd 32, or S16

Nate Oats makes S16

Purdue wins the national championship or makes it to the Title game

Edit: Adding in Assume that the following Jobs open up at the end of this March: Louisville, UK, OSU, Louisville, and Michigan

What moves are you making assuming all of the above happens? 

28 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

IU misses the NIT

Micah Shrewsberry wins the ACC tournament and makes it to the tournament and wins a game

Nate Oats makes S16

Seriously, if I was the AD it would depend on what I'm hearing from President Whitten, the Board of Trustees, and my major donors.  If there is a broad desire from these groups for a change, I'm making a change and I pick Dusty May.  Without a strong push for a change from these groups, I ride it out another year.  As the Athletic Director, making these 3 groups happy is more important than winning.  

Any AD worth their salt would already have plans and contingencies laid out and vetted.  The AD would have talked to the Trustees and to the President of the U to ascertain their perspectives and would have tested one's plans on them.

The buyout is a thing.  Coach Woody's plans and details are things.  How the team and the season went is a thing.  The long-term plan for the athletic department and men's basketball program is another thing.

One does not wait until the end of a season to make up one's mind.

A prospective new hire for HC coach would have already had some off-record talks with consultants directed by the AD or a cutout.  There would be minimal surprises in all of this at the end of the season.

In theory...

But, I think that Woody's plans are vitally important.  That and how the AD perceives that they are realistic...considering.

6 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Seriously, if I was the AD it would depend on what I'm hearing from President Whitten, the Board of Trustees, and my major donors.  If there is a broad desire from these groups for a change, I'm making a change and I pick Dusty May.  Without a strong push for a change from these groups, I ride it out another year.  As the Athletic Director, making these 3 groups happy is more important than winning.  

That makes sense. But isn’t that just self preservation? 

10 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I am hearing rumblings that the major donors are not happy... so Dolson's job becomes one of balancing Buckner v Whitten in light of the fan's pitchforks and torches and the donors tightening up on their pursestrings...

I don't see a way to make them all happy... because Buckner will not back down from protecting his guy... and that's the sickening part - what does Woodson have on him? Buckner is not blind to what's going on... is this the hill that Buckner wants to die on?

5 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

That makes sense. But isn’t that just self preservation? 

Yes.  As AD I've worked my whole career for this position.  If I have to play politics to keep it, that is exactly what I'm going to do.  

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

IU misses the NIT

Nate Oats makes S16

Edit: Adding in Assume that the following Jobs open up at the end of this March: Louisville, UK, OSU, Louisville, and Michigan

If I'm AD, I'm in the process right now of contacting at least the names on your list via backchannels to gauge interest in case I need to make a change.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If I don't have the support from the President and the BOT to do the job as I see fit and they refuse to consider my recommendations or try to micromanage my job, I'm looking for another gig.

^^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE ^^^^

Way too many "yes" men people associated with the Indiana athletics department.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If the UK job is open, I'm going and getting Calipari.

I can’t even begin to imagine what that would be like. He’s been successful, for the most part. But at the same time I don’t think he’s a good x’s&o’s coach. Can he keep up now that the NIL levels the playing field?

50 minutes ago, Herotime said:

I can’t even begin to imagine what that would be like. He’s been successful, for the most part. But at the same time I don’t think he’s a good x’s&o’s coach. Can he keep up now that the NIL levels the playing field?

I’m not saying he’s my first choice, but our floor with him would be better than anything we’ve experienced in the last 20 years outside a couple of Crean years.

7 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

IU misses the NIT

Nate Oats makes S16

What any other team does is irrelevant to what Indiana would do with Woodson.  If they were to choose to fire him (which I don't think will happen), then it should be done between the Big Ten tournament and the start of the NCAA tournament.

Secondly, it's not Madden where you can force someone to sign.

8 hours ago, Lebowski said:

If I were the AD, I give my undivided attention to the football program with the goal of making the 12 team playoff every year. To were that becomes the norm and IU is known as a football school.  

That would do me no good! Haha. I just can’t get into football anymore. At any level. 

16 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

IU misses the NIT

Nate Oats makes S16

Gotta be some kind of record for hypotheticals.

11 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If the UK job is open, I'm going and getting Calipari.

Would be a 66 year old in his first year at IU who has underachieved the past four or five years, would have less talent than he's had in 15 years, and would bring Bruiser Flint back to Bloomington as his top assistant?

AHHHHHH. No.