Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

38 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

The thing is if or when a change is made it will just start all over again with fans. Unless you can get Stevens then any coach you bring in won't be a sure thing. If all of these hires the last few years shows us you will not be bringing in an elite level coach who is a sure thing.

Unless, of course, we get Micah Shrewsbury. With IU’s NIL he will be elite from day one.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Yeah I'm in the camp that says when you know a new coach is needed then you don't root for wins, all that can do is delay the inevitable, especially as poorly run as this program has been.

A new coach is needed. He's not getting carried to an Elite 8 or anything; I've said it before an "I did my job" banner is the only banner Woodson would ever put in the rafters.

If you or anybody else thought the last 3-4 games of the regular season was going to decide Woodson’s tenure here then I’m not sure what to tell you. Woodson wasn’t going to be fired after 3 years especially after making the tournament the previous two seasons. If you seriously thought Woodson was on the hot seat with 4 games left to go that’s on you and you were seriously duped. Rooting against your team is certainly a choice.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

The thing is if or when a change is made it will just start all over again with fans. Unless you can get Stevens then any coach you bring in won't be a sure thing. If all of these hires the last few years shows us you will not be bringing in an elite level coach who is a sure thing.

That’s not true!  I for one liked the hire of Mike Woodson for many reasons but when he kept playing 2 bigs every year, didn’t seem to embrace the 3 ball, had poor roster construction last year but instead of taking responsibility for that, he blamed fans and pitted fans against fans, and his god like attitude really turned me off on him.  He’s not a genuine good person, IMO and his entitlement attitude has really put that dagger in me for liking him as coach.  I can state many other reasons but posting reasons is just repeating what I and many others have stated

29 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

If you or anybody else thought the last 3-4 games of the regular season was going to decide Woodson’s tenure here then I’m not sure what to tell you. Woodson wasn’t going to be fired after 3 years especially after making the tournament the previous two seasons. If you seriously thought Woodson was on the hot seat with 4 games left to go that’s on you and you were seriously duped. Rooting against your team is certainly a choice.

I think it was always in the works for him to get a 4th year regardless of last years outcome but one could only wish and hope, lol

Seen alot of posts in here since my last time on and was afraid something bad happened lol. Good to see were still rehashing same stuff. This thread definitely needs to remain but time is now to get excited and get behind this coach and team! At least till halftime on November 1st

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lmao piss off. You’re not the arbiter of IU fanhood. 

You can’t sit there and argue with a straight face that Tom Allen winning a couple more games last year to save his job would’ve been the best thing for the IU football program. Yet according to you, I’m a phony for rooting for those losses. 

Instant gratification isn’t always the best thing. 

The only difference that I see between football and basketball is that IU football has been a dumpster fire for more than 70 years. Sure, there have been moments (Rose Bowl after the '67 season, a few Mallory teams and Hep), but it's been trash for as long as I've been alive.

Since Knight was fired, basketball has pretty much been the same dumpster fire as football - a few bright spots showing as anomalies to the Davis/Crean/Archie/Woodson years.

I totally understand (and subscribe to) the "lose short term for a chance at long term a win" scenario.

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

How long has Brad Stevens been out of coaching? He's not a sure thing, either.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s not true!  I for one liked the hire of Mike Woodson for many reasons but when he kept playing 2 bigs every year, didn’t seem to embrace the 3 ball, had poor roster construction last year but instead of taking responsibility for that, he blamed fans and pitted fans against fans, and his god like attitude really turned me off on him.  He’s not a genuine good person, IMO and his entitlement attitude has really put that dagger in me for liking him as coach.  I can state many other reasons but posting reasons is just repeating what I and many others have stated

Have you met him to know he isn't a good person 

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

How long has Brad Stevens been out of coaching? He's not a sure thing, either.

This is true, but it'd still be a far better hire than Woodson was. Stevens showed he was a great coach, Woodson's coaching led to zero demand for him before IU called.

4 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I don't think there is necessarily a Rubicon moment at all, because somebody who takes the approach of actively rooting against the team, would likely believe any success the team has this year is in spite of Woody, not because of Woody. If they go on a great run to finish the year, I think everyone would be happy about that. Some would remain skeptical that the success is sustainable/replicable. He would certainly get another year to prove whether he can achieve all he set out to do here.

I think you’re mostly right here but the thing I’m curious about is if they go on, say, an Elite 8-type run, and contrary to some post a few back that suggested otherwise that’s pretty obviously within this team’s ceiling, I’m not at all sure everyone would be happy about it. I’m sure you’re right that some would suggest it was in spite of the coach, which is just bone stupid, and they have such a visceral personal dislike of the guy that his failure outweighs the team’s success. It’s not enough to be able to say at the end of the year, “Congrats on a great season, guys and thanks for the fun you gave the fans. Glad I was wrong about this team. Now let’s talk about whether this is a sustainable path forward.” They’d rather be able to shame that smug SOB out of town with his arrogant tale between his legs. Hope I’m wrong because it would suck to be a long-suffering fan of a program but not be able to bring one’s self to enjoy success. I don’t wish that on anyone. 

14 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Unless, of course, we get Micah Shrewsbury. With IU’s NIL he will be elite from day one.

I'm not sold but it's not something I need to worry about as I don't see him ever coaching at IU. For now we're stuck with Woodson and after him it'll likely be yet another underwhelming hire.