Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Why would we even offer Queen? So we can play 2 bigs again???? At what point do we scrap it?

Seems like our options are, give him 1more year to figure it out and completely change EVERYTHING abut his system, or make a move for someone new... Given I think Shertz, May, Beard, and Shrews... All of whom I think were better than Holtmann, Archie, and Mack during our last search... Why wait one year for the inevitable? 

1. Buckner. He’s chair of the BoT and Woodson’s buddy

2. It’s Indiana

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

If IU was actually serious, making the tourney would be absolute bare minimum expectations and the play in game would be a disappointment; it definitely wouldn't warrant a raise. Instead it's viewed as a big accomplishment and gets a pay raise.

I'll say it again, take away the name Mike Woodson and not a single person would like this hire.

It's just more evidence this program peddles in nostalgia and not interested in being a successful program. Even the old fans think that way, cause they already saw championships and tons of success. If it never happens again, oh well at least they got to experience it. As someone who never actually saw any of it, that royally pisses me off. I only know of IU basketball as being the butt of jokes. 

6 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

It's just more evidence this program peddles in nostalgia and not interested in being a successful program. Even the old fans think that way, cause they already saw championships and tons of success. If it never happens again, oh well at least they got to experience it. As someone who never actually saw any of it, that royally pisses me off. I only know of IU basketball as being the butt of jokes. 

There is a lot of truth here, but I am one of those old fans and I was lucky enough to experience the 80s and 90s with RMK….and while it helps a little to have those memories, what has been happening at Indiana for the last 20 years is unacceptable. We have totally squandered our elite basketball status and reputation even in our own State. Most of these kids coming to Indiana now aren’t coming here because it’s Indiana, they are coming here because of the exposure that the program still generates, but a few more years of this level of play and even that will dry up! We need a young energetic coach that loves Indiana and its history, that can make playing at IU a dream for kids again. In my opinion you can’t just fill the roster with a bunch of big city kids from all over the country that have no connection to Indiana, the team has to have a few of those players that dream of playing here and are shooters….sadly every year in the NCAA tournament we see a few of these Indiana kids helping another program advance in the tournament and wondering why this kid isn’t playing for IU!

9 minutes ago, RoadRage said:

There is a lot of truth here, but I am one of those old fans and I was lucky enough to experience the 80s and 90s with RMK….and while it helps a little to have those memories, what has been happening at Indiana for the last 20 years is unacceptable. We have totally squandered our elite basketball status and reputation even in our own State. Most of these kids coming to Indiana now aren’t coming here because it’s Indiana, they are coming here because of the exposure that the program still generates, but a few more years of this level of play and even that will dry up! We need a young energetic coach that loves Indiana and its history, that can make playing at IU a dream for kids again. In my opinion you can’t just fill the roster with a bunch of big city kids from all over the country that have no connection to Indiana, the team has to have a few of those players that dream of playing here and are shooters….sadly every year in the NCAA tournament we see a few of these Indiana kids helping another program advance in the tournament and wondering why this kid isn’t playing for IU!

It’s not that hard, is it?  Every year, make a list of the top 5 players in IN, IL, OH.  Goal to get 2-3 commits from that group.  Supplement with a kid or two from the national scene. If you can’t recruit your neighborhood, what makes you think you can recruit the nation?   How about the announcers trolling IU for not offering smith.  

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm an old fan who has seen three nattys, and I can tell you -- this post royally pisses me off. Blaming older fans for the shape the program is in now? You don't have the slightest f--king clue what "old fans" think. Who the hell do you think you are?  

Not blaming fans as the reason. It's exclusively old fans that have the "oh well, what can ya do" attitude towards the state of things.  It's the truth whether you like it or not.  Stay mad. 

13 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How about the announcers trolling IU for not offering smith

Because IU is low hanging fruit right now and they can say half truths without doing any research on the matter.    Archie was recruiting Smith and if he hadn’t gotten fired I’m guessing he would be a Hoosier.    But he did get fired. 

Smith committed to purdue in April 29th of 2021  

Woodson was hired March 29 of 2021 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/07/01/hes-grown-up-quickly-how-braden-smith-is-changing-the-culture-of-westfield-high-school-basketball/

the narrative IU and Woodson passed on Smith is lazy but easy to spin.    IU was recruiting him they just happened to fire the staff that was recruiting him 

1 minute ago, GoIU8 said:

Not blaming fans as the reason. It's exclusively old fans that have the "oh well, what can ya do" attitude towards the state of things.  It's the truth whether you like it or not.  Stay mad. 

I'm 53..so I guess I'm an "old fan" and I'm pissed with this **** show BECAUSE I saw the glory days and the powers that be have screwed this up for a long time. Part of the reason I'm pissed is because there ARE younger fans that have only experienced glimpses of what could be..they deserve to experience what I have!

8 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

Fans have nothing to do with anything positive or negative.    Old, young, die hard or casual fans have 0 to do with anything.   The program is going to succeed or fail no matter how fans choose to feel.  This starts and ends with the administration and people in charge of the program.   All fans can do it sit back and watch to see if it changes and complain or praise it on a free message board 

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think whether Woodson deserves another year is irrelevant. I think he probably does "deserve it", but that's not the question the AD should be asking. 

I think most agree a roster overhaul, to a certain degree, is needed or at least happening this offseason. 

Many others feel like a system overhaul is needed as well. 

The only question that matters is if the powers that be think Mike Woodson is the guy to successfully oversee and execute those overhauls. 

If you think he is then you give him one more year that he may "deserve". If you don't think he is the guy for that then you have to make the move this offseason. 

I personally don't think he is the guy and now is the time. 

How many double digits losses negate "deserving"? Seems like we've had a lot of those this year. And getting completely embarrassed twice by Purdue....

18 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

You absolutely are blaming old fans. 

Stay mad -- and get a f--king clue. 

14 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

I'm 53..so I guess I'm an "old fan" and I'm pissed with this **** show BECAUSE I saw the glory days and the powers that be have screwed this up for a long time. Part of the reason I'm pissed is because there ARE younger fans that have only experienced glimpses of what could be..they deserve to experience what I have!

Not all of them do. LOL! 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

You absolutely are blaming old fans. You just said so. 

Stay mad -- and get a f--king clue. 

Is there an echo in here? Why are you just saying what I just said back to me? Point to me where I said fans are responsible for hiring/firing anyone. You can't, because I didn't. 

26 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

It’s not the truth. I’m 45 and probably constitute what you’re thinking. I’m the one who started this thread.  I want change.  Personally it’s two things.  One is region.  Midwestern people are not as forceful compared to people in the South and in the East coast.  2. As a person who worked at Duke and UNC I can say absolutely with 100% certainty that it’s the entire administration that 1. operates under the “good old boy network “ (aka nepotism and who you know), and two don’t feel any pressure because they have a dedicated fan base with high enrollment (like most of the  big ten. That’s why we and SEC are the power conferences) . I left Duke and UNC athletics because it was very intense job. High turnover simply because it’s about winning and if you don’t do it, you get fired.  There’s certain things the ACC don’t condone like serious allegations like you know what but that’s it. That simple.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

8 double digit losses. Ridiculous. 

Yeah double digit losses stink but all of this snowballs from bad decisions before the season even started.   Sometimes a program just has a bad year all around in every aspect. As you said it’s irrelevant if he deserves it or not if they think he can fix it he is going to be here next year regardless if I or others feel he should or shouldn’t be here.   

Painter in year 8 at Purdue went 16-18(8-10) with a 37 point home loss to IU and a 28 point loss at the Hall.  Lost to Bucknell and Eastern Michigan. 10 double digit losses in the season.    Even good college coaches have bad years 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah double digit losses stink but all of this snowballs from bad decisions before the season even started.   Sometimes a program just has a bad year all around in every aspect. As you said it’s irrelevant if he deserves it or not if they think he can fix it he is going to be here next year regardless if I or others feel he should or shouldn’t be here.   

Painter in year 8 at Purdue went 16-18(8-10) with a 37 point home loss to IU and a 28 point loss at the Hall.  Lost to Bucknell and Eastern Michigan. 10 double digit losses in the season.    Even good college coaches have bad years 

Agree. That was kind of the point of my original thought. 

The only thing that matters is whether people, specifically the people in charge, think Woodson can fix this. 

If the powers that be do think he can, then I hope they're making him present a detailed plan. 

If they don't like that plan, then you also need to make a move. 

But like you said, he'll be back next year so it's all really irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

Is there an echo in here? Why are you just saying what I just said back to me? Point to me where I said fans are responsible for hiring/firing anyone. You can't, because I didn't. 

I'm saying what you said back because of the ridiculousness of it.

What does hiring/firing anyone have to do with it? You're pointing the finger at old fans for the apathy of the program -- that's what pisses me off. 

"Even the old fans think that way, cause they already saw championships and tons of success. If it never happens again, oh well at least they got to experience it."