Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Wisconsin fans were clamoring for Gard to be gone. AD had to give a vote of confidence.  

Fans are irrational. The fact that IU fans aren’t anymore is a bit of a sign of how far we’ve fallen. 

Gard’s been pretty meh, though. Good regular seasons mostly but hasn’t made it past the first weekend since 2017. 2 tournament wins since then. 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Gard’s been pretty meh, though. Good regular seasons mostly but hasn’t made it past the first weekend since 2017. 2 tournament wins since then. 

Sure. But it’s Wisconsin. They were awful until two good coaches in a row in Bennett and Bo, neither winning a title unfortunately. But now they have standards—higher standards than IU apparently. 20 years changes a lot.  

9 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Sure. But it’s Wisconsin. They were awful until two good coaches in a row in Bennett and Bo, neither winning a title unfortunately. But now they have standards—higher standards than IU apparently. 20 years changes a lot.  

I don’t really disagree, but I can see why they want someone new. Gard’s only success was with Ryan’s players, and since then he’s struggled in the tournament. We’d want a change too and Wisconsin has been way more successful than IU this century. 

6 minutes ago, Trish said:

Matt Painter is in the E8, meanwhile Mike Woodson is at home drinking wine after failing to make the tournament with 3 5 Star recruits on his roster. 

Mike Woodson doing his Job in March folks!

Look… Mike Woodson just found the perfect red to pair with his Fuente Fuente OpisX Reserva d’Chateau. He’s doing what he was brought here to do.

2 hours ago, Geometry Hoosier said:

I played college baseball for 4 years. Two years on a juco team that was top 5 in the nation my freshman year and anywhere from top 10-15 my sophomore year. I then transferred to a D1 school where I absolutely despised my coach and school. It was mentally draining to play there and I hated every minute of it. I then transferred to an NAIA school so I wouldn’t have to sit out a year. I’ll be the first to tell you that I regrettably only went to school to play ball. I tell you all this because I just can’t understand why, given the state of IU basketball,  would recruits want to play here?  Especially for a coach who hasn’t demonstrated he can compete against other schools who are recruiting them. I realize they’re getting paid good money, but how long before they look back and regret their decision? Play for a coach you like in offense that fits your style. Don’t be miserable for some extra cash. 

Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox 

But it's Mike Woodson. You'd get to play for an Indiana legend.

DWS

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

It hasn't changed much around here in the last 20 years.

Fire Mike Woodson.

19 hours ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking we might have more open scholarships next year than we did this year.

I have a feeling that Jordan Rayford may be on scholarship next year to fill a slot.  

At the risk of sounding contradicting or sounding like I'm a Woodson apologist, what will firing Woodson do for us, especially if the next coach doesn't deliver the results fans desire? 

This is different from football, where there's absolutely no history to build from, so I can understand why people are far more passionate about this side of Hoosiers athletics... And yes, you can guess how I became an IU fan, but help me out here.

9 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I’ll be interested in where shertz ends up. 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he returns to ISU after this season and we can poach him next season assuming Woodson “retires.”

33 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

At the risk of sounding contradicting or sounding like I'm a Woodson apologist, what will firing Woodson do for us, especially if the next coach doesn't deliver the results fans desire? 

This is different from football, where there's absolutely no history to build from, so I can understand why people are far more passionate about this side of Hoosiers athletics... And yes, you can guess how I became an IU fan, but help me out here.

This.

Finding an opportunity to potentially get it right for 20 years should be the ultimate and only goal.

Wisconsin is coddled by conference officials to the point of developing a habit of getting away with incredibly physical play.  Then, come tournament time, the officials from other conferences do not allow/accept the moving screens, pushing, and holding Wisky teams are known for around the league. The thing is Wisconsin puts a very good team on the floor every year and I don't think they need all of that physical play to win.  Still, bad habits come back to haunt them outside the conference.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This.

Finding an opportunity to potentially get it right for 20 years should be the ultimate and only goal.

We had it in Dusty, but evidently the timing wasn't right, or Woodson's friends wanted to prove Woodson can coach even though he underperformed the first 3 years.  

9 minutes ago, JF87 said:

We had it in Dusty, but evidently the timing wasn't right, or Woodson's friends wanted to prove Woodson can coach even though he underperformed the first 3 years.  

The eternal question that we'll never know the answer to.  If he crushes it at Michigan it will be oh, what might have been.  If he's merely mediocre at Michigan is that the best he is or could he have done better at IU with our resources?  At the time who ever expected RMK to do what he did?  Pretty much roll the dice and hope for the best.

9 minutes ago, JF87 said:

It’s not proven that we got it right with Dusty, heck everyone thought we got it right with Archie.  We will never know if we would have gotten right until he’s had at least 3 good years at Michigan. Right now you are speculating.  Everything with Dusty was from an appearance in the FF4 where the Red Sea happened to part just right for his team to get there and then the very next year made it into the tournament as an at-large bid from a conference that probably wouldn’t have gotten so many bids if it weren’t for them making it to the FF4, then was one and done in the tournament.  There has been a lot of teams do that over the years.  We will see if his system works soon enough but right now we can only speculate that we would have gotten it right, until it was proven wrong.  You never know!