Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

This is all shocking information. KathywithaQ assured us that Scotty D. has sole decision making authority in all things basketball. Why would there be so much turmoil when it is his decision alone?

He may have sole decision making authority in all things basketabll according to his job description, but anybody with a job knows the unwritten aspects of making decisions aren't that black and white. 

Sure, I may decide that I'd like to turn a spare bedroom into a bowling alley at my house complete with pole dancers and ash trays, but the higher power that is woman that also lives there may have a problem with that

[mention=7005]Chris007[/mention] - Surely Dolson, donors, Whitten, BoT all know about the May to OSU chatter. Are they discussing options about how to satisfy the Woodson backers, while securing our long-term future with May? Dolson needs to scare the heck out of them with tales of what Dusty will do at OSU, knowing Dusty preferred to be here initially.
Knight had opportunities to coach OSU, but he had already built something special at IU. Same could be true for Dusty. IU won't always be his dream job. 

Woody backers and BoT do not care about anything else. They don’t care if their money is wasted, they just want their buddy in there. May going to OSU is the least of their concerns I’d guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

@Chris007 - Surely Dolson, donors, Whitten, BoT all know about the May to OSU chatter. Are they discussing options about how to satisfy the Woodson backers, while securing our long-term future with May? Dolson needs to scare the heck out of them with tales of what Dusty will do at OSU, knowing Dusty preferred to be here initially.

Knight had opportunities to coach OSU, but he had already built something special at IU. Same could be true for Dusty. IU won't always be his dream job. 

I do not wish to step on toes (admire Chris from afar)

IMHO, the inverse of Knight's story is more likely for May right now

A segment of people with non-insignificant voices are shouting on their proverbial megaphones

12 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Silly but where we are. Send Woodson out with a win in Assembly Hall. End the regular season on a high note. Then reality (on a few fronts) sets in after the BTT exit. Rather than say a whole lot of nothing, I'll say a little bit of nothing: things happening on and off the court matter. The entirety of the season will be assessed (take that as you will. Lot to be embarrassed about this year. Some stuff not fitting for our brand) McNeeley news shocked the staff... being anything other than buttoned up, does not tend to go well, when under a lens. 

I'll also say. I'd be surprised if anything is necessarily official following Tuesday. The situation is incredibly fluid. Many factors at hand, on and off the court. It won't be over and done with when Martha the Mop Lady stops singing today, that is clear to me. 

OK. I get it now. Sharing on Tuesday and afterwards about what woody has done to assistants, other coaches, recruits parents, etc matters and has to be flushed out along with the season. Thanks for this. All encompassing must be assessed. Not just wins and losses on court. 

2 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

@Chris007 - Surely Dolson, donors, Whitten, BoT all know about the May to OSU chatter. Are they discussing options about how to satisfy the Woodson backers, while securing our long-term future with May? Dolson needs to scare the heck out of them with tales of what Dusty will do at OSU, knowing Dusty preferred to be here initially.

As poorly run as IU has been, I wouldn't be surprised if they're mainly concerned with keeping Woodson and deal with the fallout later.

We shouldn't underestimate just how deeply unserious IU is.

Just now, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

I do not wish to step on toes (admire Chris from afar)

IMHO, the inverse of Knight's story is more likely for May right now

A segment of people with non-insignificant voices are shouting on their proverbial megaphones

And that would be awful. Go to OSU and create your own brand for 20 years. Woof

6 minutes ago, IndianaSconnie90 said:

He may have sole decision making authority in all things basketabll according to his job description, but anybody with a job knows the unwritten aspects of making decisions aren't that black and white. 

Sure, I may decide that I'd like to turn a spare bedroom into a bowling alley at my house complete with pole dancers and ash trays, but the higher power that is woman that also lives there may have a problem with that

First, that sounds like an amazing idea. Second, but Kathy said so, and she definitely doesn’t have an agenda.

10 minutes ago, IndianaSconnie90 said:

Just do it, man. Worry about the consequences later. It's the American way.

23 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Silly but where we are. Send Woodson out with a win in Assembly Hall. End the regular season on a high note. Then reality (on a few fronts) sets in after the BTT exit. Rather than say a whole lot of nothing, I'll say a little bit of nothing: things happening on and off the court matter. The entirety of the season will be assessed (take that as you will. Lot to be embarrassed about this year. Some stuff not fitting for our brand) McNeeley news shocked the staff... being anything other than buttoned up, does not tend to go well, when under a lens. 

I'll also say. I'd be surprised if anything is necessarily official following Tuesday. The situation is incredibly fluid. Many factors at hand, on and off the court. It won't be over and done with when Martha the Mop Lady stops singing today, that is clear to me. 

This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. 

35 minutes ago, IndianaSconnie90 said:

The "we can be successful getting loads of players from the portal" crowd seem to be forgetting a massive detail. WOODSON IS STILL THE COACH. Great transfer portal players don't mzke up for poor coaching, they just don't. Unless Woody is willing to implement a more modern system you can forget about it. He's just going to look worse taking better talent and still missing the tourney

Correct.

IU doesn’t have a talent problem. They have a coach with a bad system who is bad at constructing a roster problem.

There’s little doubt in my mind that IU will get dudes from the portal. The biggest question now is what kind of dudes and how many give a s*** about the name on the front of their chest? I see a bunch of mercenaries collecting a work check next year.

17 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

I think Quinn has made it known behind the scenes he’s not a fan of Dusty. 

Geez people, if Dusty May goes to O$U or any other program it's not the freakin' end of the world.  Maybe he'd be good at IU and maybe he'd flame out.  But you could say the same about Pearl, Oates, Cronin, etc.  There's no guarantee any of them would be successful at IU.  And if there is an announcement that Woody won't be back after all, Dolson might start getting some surprising calls from agents indicating their client has an interest and it could be quality candidates who've just been biding their time.  Not against Dusty May as our next coach, just can't step to the edge of the ledge ready to jump if he's at O$U or at Lance College of Mines and Engineering.  

3 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Not sure what you would like me to say. Tough to speak definitively at this moment. Life is not so straightforward. Hope that helps

Just assure us that the powers at be understand the repercussions of what would happen if we keep Woody for one more mediocre season before an almost inevitable firing while Dusty goes to OSU and kills it for 20+ years?   Please tell us they aren't this stupid.

33 minutes ago, Ya Boy AD Scotty D said:

Basically we need to see if Pearl, May whoever else is interested, then we need to weigh the money, then decide what is the best option moving forward. 

11 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Correct.

IU doesn’t have a talent problem. They have a coach with a bad system who is bad at constructing a roster problem.

There’s little doubt in my mind that IU will get dudes from the portal. The biggest question now is what kind of dudes and how many give a s*** about the name on the front of their chest? I see a bunch of mercenaries collecting a work check next year.

And the odds of those mercenaries fitting together is slim to none because the head coach isn't the one establishing an effective system and identifying the right targets. He's allowing multiple assistants to make their own judgement on what will work and they all have unique perspectives. That leads to a mishmash of talent that will underperform as a unit. 

Even in the unlikely scenario he scrapes together enough to improve and squeak back into the tourney, you're back here next year asking whether a 8-10 seed after year 4 for a 66 yr old "win now" coach is good enough.